About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-03-22, 06:32
thegreatestscot thegreatestscot is offline
Regular
 
Default What is an organic solvent?

I have a recipe that requires an organic solvent. I know OF an organic solvent(methylene chloride), but i don't know the difference between a solvent & an organic solvent. Please Help, in layman's terms, if possible.
 #2 
Old 2001-03-29, 23:49
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

Use benzene. But be careful that when you're done with what you're doing that you get all of it off. That shit can give you cancer if you are around it too much.

------------------
Remember the golden rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.
 #3 
Old 2001-04-02, 13:41
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

Any solvent thats carbon based, ether, benzene, chloroform, napthalene, toluene etc.
 #4 
Old 2001-04-03, 06:36
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

. organic just means carbon based, or containing at least one carbon atom, the basis of living matter, decomposed or not. carbon needs not exist outside the atomsphere but is crucial in a cycle of decomposision and creation on earth. basically any solvent available to the public is an organic solvent. i dont know of any that are not and to find out the exact carbon count on any solvent you mean to inquire about you might wanna look it up on chemfinder.com
 #5 
Old 2001-04-04, 03:02
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

You don't know of any inorganic solvent?

How about water for say, one of the most used solvents around.

Organic simply means in the molecular structure, carbon is included.

I'd steer clear of benzene or any -ene solvents, great solvents they are but are typically nasty. Carcinogens and are burn more violently making them harder to extinguish. Double and triple bond carbon bonds burn longer and release more energy. I try to avoid benzene based solvents if I can (Toluene, Phenol, chlorobenzene, etc) Ketones are great solvents such as acetone or MEK, alcohols are ok. Chloroform is a good one and so are ethers, but both are somewhat strong anesthetics so be very anal about ventilation and not breathing the vapors. Ethers, especially the most common diethyl ether are very flammable and can easily cause explosive mixtures in air, the reason that makes them great for use as starting fluid in internal combustion engines (hint).

I'd say may favorite solvents are ketones, ethers, and alcohols. But it all depends on what you are trying to dissolve, some solvents are just better than others for differing purposes.

 #6 
Old 2001-04-04, 11:43
madchemist madchemist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

I've never seen methyl ethyl ketone pure. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. It's definitely in Oateys PVC resin though, along with cyclohexane.
 #7 
Old 2001-04-05, 02:26
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

I'm pretty sure one can purchase 98% MEK
I've used 90% Tech Grade stuff. But for UL and analytical type testing higher purity MEK can be had, it's very expensive though I'm sure.
 #8 
Old 2001-04-05, 21:05
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

is propanoic acid a solvent?
 #9 
Old 2001-04-06, 06:13
slpwlkr333 slpwlkr333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

other than water can you name another inorganic solvent for sale to someone without a license? ah no.
 #10 
Old 2001-04-07, 03:29
Regular
 
Default Re: What is an organic solvent?

just wondering. im taking an AP chem class and we just got done with memorizing the different types of organic compounds... that was a bitch.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics