About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Laboratory Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laboratory Tips Safety proceedures, test reagents, drilling rubber stoppers, bending glass tubes, etc. Contributed to by chemists.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-02-15, 02:22
Jean-S�bastien Maheu Jean-S�bastien Maheu is offline
Regular
 
Default Potassium Nitrate Extraction

Alright, call me dumb but I've had few problems with this... What kind of soil would one recommend? What about topsoil?

And after boiling the mixture, is adding alcohol really necessary?

And when I pour it on paper, it takes days for it to go through... is this normal or did I miss something here?
 #2 
Old 2001-02-16, 02:22
k9girrl k9girrl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

Try REALLY hard to find book "Foxfire 5" printed 1979 by Anchor/Doubleday see pages 253 to 260 excelent pictures.
Nitrate bearing earth occurs in large areas of India, Spain, and USA. In particular Missisippi, Virginia areas. Smaller deposits are everywhere.
 #3 
Old 2001-02-18, 04:47
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

Alcohol may be a used as a solvent to remove organic content. Perhaps Acetone would be better or even ether. Anyways it's impossible to get pure KNO3 or even close to it. Many other mineral salts exist along side it. I'm not sure how you've gone about doing it so I don't know why it would take long to filter unless you have a build up of salts or have particle similar in size to the holes in your filter.

Tis better to buy tech grade KNO3, what you are making is a "dirty" way to do it and was used in obtaining KNO3 for making black powder.
 #4 
Old 2001-02-19, 20:20
Jean-S�bastien Maheu Jean-S�bastien Maheu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

Well, I don't plan on going to India some time soon, but thanks... As for the procedure I'm using, it is the one shown in TM 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook. Now I kind of knew this couldn't give a 100% pure product, I just want to see if I can do it. Buying tech grade KNO3 is an option but I don't want to arouse suspicion here. Anyways thanks, the more I learn the better it will be.
 #5 
Old 2001-02-28, 19:17
Jean-S�bastien Maheu Jean-S�bastien Maheu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

Alright, I fixed some problems but the main still remains : why the hell does it take so long for liquid to go through a piece of paper? No one seems astonished by this!
Would coffee filters do the same? I used all types of papers in my house and they just retain the water while letting a few drops through every 5 minutes...
 #6 
Old 2001-03-02, 03:38
acidmelt acidmelt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

the purpose of a filter is to filter crap out. the thicker your solution, the longer it will take to filter it. Sometimes it takes a while.
 #7 
Old 2001-03-19, 19:52
biot biot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

i really dont know shit about this but my friend would take 5 gallon buckets drill a few holes in the bottom near the center, fill them with dirt and poor water in to the bucket. then we would let the water collect in a bowl and boil it off and collect the percipitate. it did take a while. worth a shot (maybe).
 #8 
Old 2001-04-04, 01:28
Valhalla Valhalla is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

You people dont know this but you can buy it a a garden center for $35 for 50 lbs
 #9 
Old 2001-04-04, 07:15
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

You can't find it anywhere around here. Blame McVeigh.

------------------
Remember the golden rule:
Those with the gold make the rules.
 #10 
Old 2001-04-09, 23:01
Valhalla Valhalla is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Potassium Nitrate Extraction

you dont have to look really hard for foxfire 5 its right hear http://www.chapters.ca and sharch
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics