About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Gearheads
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gearheads Greasy mechanical things. Fixing your car, swapping out engines, buying tools, and getting maximum horsepower.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-21, 23:53
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Lug bolts?

I've noticed alot of european cars have bolts instead of nuts holding the wheels on. It's usually pretty nice cars that have them. Is there a reason for it or do they just do it so that I have to fight with them a little bit longer to get the wheels back on. It could be a lets make Richie work a little bit harder conspiracy. I'm sure there's a reaon they have them, just can't figure it out though.
 #2 
Old 2002-05-29, 02:34
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lug bolts?

Any ideas? This is really bugging me.
 #3 
Old 2002-05-31, 22:21
RipSlider RipSlider is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lug bolts?

Define lug bolts.

Am based in the UK, so european, and have been playing with cars ( and some motorbikes) all my life. Don't fully understand what your asking. Any chance of a more detailed word picture?
 #4 
Old 2002-05-31, 22:27
RipSlider RipSlider is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lug bolts?

Ah ha, Sorry, am very tired and only half read your message. Understand now.

I think it's generally the more sporting marques that go in for it. I know MG and TVR like them. I understand that It's partially a hanf over from the old race days, when bolts were used instead of nuts becuase it was believed to give a better, stronger hold ( especially in old moterbikes, where as many nut joints were tapped and died so that they'd take bolts) and I think that it's seen as a theft prevention device. Most tyre-jackers have one type spanner that'll take very wheel of. With the nuts, they take much longer to take out, and may well be different sizes, so giving the owner a bit more of a chance.

Will ask the old fella for more info. He used to design/ engineer sports cars for Morgan and TVR.

RIpSlider
 #5 
Old 2002-06-05, 22:16
thinkaboutit thinkaboutit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lug bolts?

I can't tell you why they do it different, but I can tell you it's a whole lot easier changing a tire when you can set it in place on the studs and let rest there while you put the nuts in place. Holding a tire up and perfectly still in the right spot with one hand while your trying to get that first bolt in the two lined up holes with the other hand is not as easy as it sounds.
 #6 
Old 2002-06-06, 00:36
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lug bolts?

I couldn't imagine changing one on the side of the road with no flash light in the cold with the wind blowing 30 mph while you're in a hurry. Especially since that's about the only time most people get flats.
 #7 
Old 2002-06-14, 22:40
emerikan emerikan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Lug bolts?

the hub's not totally flat on those type of wheels, the place where the lug bolt threads into the hub is actually set out a bit. from what i understand, the purpose behind this is to take the weight of the car off the lug bolts and onto the hub, which is a larger/stronger weight bearer.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics