About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-15, 03:20
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Legal to shoot unarmed

Okay, just to clear this debate up...my friend and I were arguing the other day about if a police officer could fire at you if you were unarmed. I said that it was illegal for a police officer (or any other part of law) to shoot at someone if they commited a crime, let's say someone robbed a bank or something. Would it be illegal if that person kept their hands in the air while screaming, "I am unarmed," while running away and the police shot him in the back. If it was that person could escape. Just wondering...
 #2 
Old 2002-10-15, 18:55
Hewlettpackard186 Hewlettpackard186 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

Yes cops can not do that.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-15, 20:54
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

It really depends, for example let's say this individual just commited a drive by shooting and killed a half dozen people, etc... law enforcement officals can shoot to stop the individual. Espically if the individual has been attempting to ellude them. Therefore reducing the risk of letting a dangerous individual back onto the streets.

If you are running away from the cops hands in the air screaming "I am unarmed", that doesn't mean shit espically if you are running towards a potential hostage.

Not a everyday situation i'm sure law enforcement officals encounter here in the US.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-15, 20:58
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

Key phrase = shoot to stop

This is not against the rules, although i'm sure they wouldn't light you up.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-15, 22:26
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

Poop I mean if someone didn't have a hostage and it was in the middle of the night, no one was around, the person committed the crime and ran away, hands up and saying," I am unarmed". And if they shot to stop the person they could kill him, so how is that legal? I know that if the person killed a dozen people or anyone they can be shot to be stopped but I'm talking about a crime not involving killing anyone or anything. And the person is running AWAY from the police. I remember reading a topic a long time ago that said: To escape the police you have to keep your hands up to show you're not reaching for any weapon and run away screaming," I am unarmed." Everyone agreed and I remember some moderator (I think it was you) said that if you jumped behind a big bush that was an instant escape because the police were trained not to follow you behind something because they don't know if you set traps.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-15, 22:43
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

I saw on a police car video were a man who was pulled over got out and began punching the two cops, who began spraying him with mace, hitting him with billyclubs, then finally shooting him. Several times.

I think it has to do with the Escalation of Force, First there is verbal warning, then unarmed restraint, then either Mace, dogs, billy clubs, then stungun, then deadly force.

 #7 
Old 2002-10-15, 23:48
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

Well he hit the police so I guess that's legal I don't know. It's like those people in London that wear long tall black hats. They don't do anything unless you touch them. One of my friends hit one of those guys in the show and he went totally wild on him and beat the shit out of him. That's the same with our police. So if they do the verbal warning before anything physical, they could say it really fast then shoot the guy like,"StoporIwillhavetouseforce" and then shoot the guy. That's unfair!!!
 #8 
Old 2002-10-16, 03:55
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0-Optimist:
That's unfair!!!


How is it unfair? The asshole isn't cooperating. Should they have said Please get into the car?

Deadly Force is the last resort. While I have no doubt some cops abuse this, I believe in giving them the benefit of the doubt, since they have been entrusted in great responsibility
 #9 
Old 2002-11-26, 22:47
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Boo:
How is it unfair? The asshole isn't cooperating. Should they have said Please get into the car?

Deadly Force is the last resort. While I have no doubt some cops abuse this, I believe in giving them the benefit of the doubt, since they have been entrusted in great responsibility



Giving cops the benifit of the doubt is why police brutality is getting outa hand.

If you are unarmed and the cops dont like the way you look (black mabye?) they will shoot your ass. Then they will place a throw away gun or knife in your hand and say you were armed and threatened to fire.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-26, 23:23
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

I'm sure abuses of power such as you described have happened, although with today's technology and training it happens a lot less than you think. Espically when practically every moment while that officer is on duty his actions are recorded via video and or audio. I once heard a cop mention "i forgot to turn my mic off when i was taking a leak","someone played back the tape and discovered i named my junk big johnny.",etc..
 #11 
Old 2002-11-27, 14:23
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

Try running from someone with your hands in the air and screaming that you are unarmed. I bet you don't get too far before they catch you. You lose alot of speed by not having your arms beside you while running.

Poop's right. I used to be a reserve sheriff deputy. The situations that we could shoot someone were:

1. Self defense after asp and pepper spray were ineffective or not practical.

2. To STOP someone from fleeing that had commited a violent crime in which others were hurt or dead.

3. To protect someone else from serious injury or death if asp and peper spray were not practical.

4. There's a few others that I can't remember right now, but they're pretty rare.

 #12 
Old 2002-11-28, 12:55
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

It all depends on where you live. If you live in an area where people don't take shit from criminals, go for it! If you live near a bunch of left wing, gun control nuts then you probably shouldn't.

You see, it is all about the juries. Left wing nut juries think criminals have a right to life.

Bullets are cheaper than prison guards, correctional facilites, and jail food.
 #13 
Old 2002-11-29, 03:46
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

laws arent applicable to dead men. i dont care what the laws says, if my life is threatened the criminal will be shot. id rather be alive fighting the legal system than dead for fear of paperwork
 #14 
Old 2002-11-30, 17:57
Regular
 
Default Re: Legal to shoot unarmed

quote:
Originally posted by I Love Poop:
I'm sure abuses of power such as you described have happened, although with today's technology and training it happens a lot less than you think. Espically when practically every moment while that officer is on duty his actions are recorded via video and or audio. I once heard a cop mention "i forgot to turn my mic off when i was taking a leak","someone played back the tape and discovered i named my junk big johnny.",etc..


They still get away with shit because bad cops look out for each other and if caught will face little or no punishment. The good cops keep their mouth shut because if they snitch, then the bad cops will send them into a bad situation with no back up.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics