About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > Weapons and Combat
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weapons and Combat This is the forum dedicated to weapons, martial arts, and their related technical, political and social issues. Weapons and Combat is for the safe and responsible use of firearms, knives, fists and other weapons. This forum is about real weapons - Threads about paintball, airsoft, and other sport related combat may posted in Go Team.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-13, 10:00
Sgt. Baker Sgt. Baker is offline
Regular
 
Default how many own guns and why?

I personally do not own a gun. I have no use for one, I don't hunt, I do enjoy recreational shooting on occasion. Blasting some clay pigeons is pretty fun and a good frustration release. I go with my father and brother to do that. To cover the home protection thing I just keep a chainsaw in my bedroom. I figure the sound of a chainsaw at full throttle is more intimidating than saying I have a gun. And yes, I have had to use the chainsaw to scare someone out of my house.
 #2 
Old 2002-01-13, 12:04
emerikan emerikan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

in an insanse sort of way, that kick(s)* ass.

*imagines creeping around a darkened house snooping for valubles and suddenly hearing a husqvarna 3120xp kicking over*

*[edit](s)

[This message has been edited by emerikan (edited 01-13-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-01-13, 19:18
Dr.Murdok Dr.Murdok is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

we've got a cookie compony called SGT.BAKER in namibia
 #4 
Old 2002-01-24, 10:07
Real Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I'm sure the chainsaw works fine, until you have to use against a person armed with a gun. How far away can you use your chainsaw against a person? I've shot 1000yd rifle competitions and can hit a 10" center bull consistently. At 15yds I can empty 13 shots from a .45 into a paper plate as fast as I can pull the trigger. I'd much rather have the gun, it works at further ranges and where as people can still function a while missing some appendages or limbs, they won't last as long with no lungs or heart.

I must agree though a chainsaw shows a sign of lunacy, I wouldn't want to go head to head with a person armed with one. First I'd think that person was psycho and will stop at nothing to make a meal of me or something, 2nd that's gotta freakin hurt like hell. Great scare tactic, but I'd rather have a gun.

Now that I am on probation I cannont be in possession of any weapons. Which really sucks. I used to shoot prolly 500rnds and then some a weekend in recreational shooting, target practice, and hunting. I reloaded my ammo and the works. I gave up about a $2000 gun collection, which pisses me off. I miss my babies ;(

When things are settled you can bet yer ass though I'll have a $10,000 gun collection in a few years. I mainly just love to shoot, hunt, and defense is something I believe in heavily. I also believe that a strong offense is the best defense and that a gun is a great offensive weapon, if not the best, when used with smarts.

I do like the chainsaw idea though.
 #5 
Old 2002-01-24, 16:22
chase161 chase161 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I own a shotgun and a 30-30 rifle and a 22 long rifle all are good guns, but my favorite is my 12 gauge
 #6 
Old 2002-01-25, 06:39
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

For home defense you should probably go with a pistol with bullets that will expend all of their force on impact, Ie explosive or hollow point. for one thing these substatialy limit the risk of collateral damage and for another they do alot more damage. For home and self defense I have 20% capsium oleum bear repellent it has a 20 ft range and Is a third more powerful than any pepper spray and four times more powerful than californian peppersprays also the fog is less directed than the streams of most pepper sprays. All this is to say that It is Icredibly incapacitating if not leathal, and is very useful when used in conjunction with restraints and melee weapons, Ie bat, sword, chainsaw.
http://www.securityfirstindustries.com/bearspray.htm
 #7 
Old 2002-01-25, 13:59
Dr.Murdok Dr.Murdok is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

real>>> a chain saw is fucken heavy and by the time you get to him you'll be dead anyway that depends on if he has ammo or not
but also point taken a ak 47 isn't very effective at a range of 300 yards
i own a shit load of guns but i'll never trust a .38 special at anything
 #8 
Old 2002-02-05, 08:08
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Hi, Real. I just wanted to say 'hi'. I haven't really gotten a chance to since I've been back. Hope things are going better for you.

Cheers,
Lost
 #9 
Old 2002-02-19, 13:33
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I own intelligence. There is no greater in weaponary.
 #10 
Old 2002-02-20, 00:37
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

apparently you've never heard of 50 cal X four inch ammunition.
 #11 
Old 2002-02-20, 10:20
EquANouX EquANouX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

desert eagle just luachend a brand new modle which fires 50 cal it's big i've seen but i would want one because you have to use both hands when firing with it or else it instanly exit your hand
 #12 
Old 2002-02-21, 20:24
Thalamus Thalamus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

No Jamiroquai I think that u lack intelligence... FBI = NAZIS Mmm very intelligent post!
 #13 
Old 2002-02-23, 01:04
sedqon sedqon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

sgt. baker is my name, im gonna teach ya how to play the game of warfare...
 #14 
Old 2002-03-04, 00:25
Thorazine Thorazine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I own many firearms. Some I collect, others I take the the range. And I couple I alternate and carry when I go out.

Why? Well.. Collectors of many things have their own reasons. Some it's the $$$ other's it's the fascination, etc. I enjoy shooting, plinking, IDPA, IPSC and my friends property where we really get into it. Stress release eh.

Check out of video's of that guy putting some .357mag into various household items and groceries lol

Why carry a gun when I go out? Well it's better off to have it and never have to use it. Then need one and never have one.
 #15 
Old 2002-03-04, 11:34
EquANouX EquANouX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

those feds are quite fucken stupid honestly if they'd look at it from the taliban's excuses they'd realise osama has left long ago my guese is he an veil on (that shit the taliban woman always wear) and ran accross the boarder yelling help help osama's after me the soldier question where he points to the mountains they run off to the mountains he walks out followed by 10000 el'quida fighters next-up they cross to mali where they meet the twaraq(another terrorist friend) and they help him cross to france pretty clever hey? and a week later the war brakes out
 #16 
Old 2002-03-05, 18:43
Regular
 
Brussels, Belgium
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Je n'ai pas des armes de feux.
 #17 
Old 2002-03-06, 10:50
EquANouX EquANouX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

wat beteken dit?
 #18 
Old 2002-03-11, 17:52
Doom Doom is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I only own one gun- a SKS semi-automatic rifle. It's cheap and realiable. Actually, if you're into guns for self-defense it's best to own three types- a rifle, a shotgun, a finally a handgun. This gives you a wide a variety of options plus each is best depending on the range of your target. If your target is over 100 meters away use the rifle, under 30 meters use the shotgun (00 buckshot I suggest), and anything closer the handgun (with hollow points). However, a shotgun blast would FUCKING devastating at this range. I do like the chainsaw idea- if I was unarmed it scare the shit out of me! But anyone far enough from you and with a semi-auto rifle and streetsweeper could cut yo down before you even got a chance to use it. Improvised weapons are good to know about too. Anyone more interested in that check out my article called 140 Improvised Weapons at: http://shadowwar.0catch.com/

 #19 
Old 2002-03-14, 04:34
Night Stalker 1978 Night Stalker 1978 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I don't own a firearm for several reasons which I choose not to discus here. If I do decide to own one for whatever reason I'd get me a shotgun for home security, a good hunting rifle to kill those damned deer, and a 9mm for my personal protection. Thr chainsaw idea rocks. It would make me think twice.
 #20 
Old 2002-03-15, 21:21
LostCause1 LostCause1 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I can just imagine going on a really romantic date with a guy and he takes me home and I find a chain saw in his bedroom.

Sorry, but... major turn off. I'd be out of there so fast.

Well, as far as owning a gun goes, I actually had a gun when I was fourteen. It was given to me by one of the boys in my neighbourhood. He was shot and killed a year later and I was so disturbed by that I got rid of it.

I've thought about owning another gun, but by this time in my life, if I owned a gun (or even just had access to one) I'd end up with it in my mouth within three months.

I'm not mentally stable enough to own a gun.

Cheers,
Lost
 #21 
Old 2002-03-31, 10:45
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

it would scare the shit out of me if a guy with a chain saw was after me so but i would love to get a gun any type really so i can goto the shooting range (only 4 more years hey its canada hehe) but my cain saw will have to do for now

*grabs chain saw*

MWUAHAHAHAHAHA
 #22 
Old 2002-04-01, 00:41
-_-OsiriS-_- -_-OsiriS-_- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I have a magnum sniper rifle, a double barrel shotgun, and 9 mm.
 #23 
Old 2002-04-01, 07:37
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

A magnum sniper rifle? Sounds like something out of a video game. If you're going to bullshit people atleast make it sound believable.
 #24 
Old 2002-04-02, 02:19
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

He could be making reference to a .44 WIN MAG rifle or something along those lines

But I sincerely doubt it.

"magnum sniper rifle, a double barrel shotgun"

Sniper <--- dead video game talk give away

Double Barrel Shotgun <--- lol someone has been playing too much kingpin
 #25 
Old 2002-04-02, 02:21
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Sgt. Baker, started this topic with some words I would like to address.

"I personally do not own a gun. I have no use for one,"

It is better to have a gun and never need it. Than need a gun and never have one
 #26 
Old 2002-04-03, 04:22
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

double barrel shotguns have a great feild of fire, granted you have to break after shooting, but for home defence if you can't hit someone with such a huge spread you should just get large hyper-active over protective dogs, I.e. give your mastiff that caffinated water.
 #27 
Old 2002-04-04, 14:11
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

A double barrel shotgun's spread is also what makes it kinda bad for home defense. granted you'll be able to hit the guy, but you might also hit the other family members coming through the door 2 feet to the left of him. I'd sayt that frangible ammunition would be about the best bet.

The Mastiffs would work pretty good too. They wouldn't even have to do anything. If a thief saw 2 huge dogs in the front yard he's going to pick another house.
 #28 
Old 2002-04-04, 22:03
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

As far as home defense goes. I'm usually packing when walking around the house. When i'm sleeping i've got my compact 40 along with my surefire flashlight on the nightstand within reach.

If I have to I can always retreat back into my room (if confronted by a superior force) and grab my bushmaster and unleash hell

Err otherwise i'd offer the intruder my lazy ass girlfriend if they agree on not harming me or taking anything of value.
 #29 
Old 2002-04-04, 22:09
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Sgt. Baker wrote,

"I figure the sound of a chainsaw at full throttle is more intimidating than saying I have a gun."

Never say that you have a gun. Never rack the slide to advertise that you have a gun. That is between you and god.

Why lose the eliminate of surprise and the upper hand?

I would make a small attempt to detain a intruder (who isn't armed) if someone broke into my house.

Although only a *small attempt* !
 #30 
Old 2002-04-05, 04:34
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

well that depends on the shot gun I mean yeah the spread can be detrimental in someways but the individual shot are less powerful and are slowed by walls especialy with say a duck shot. still leathal close in but provided your walls aren't just sheet rock it should lose enough power and disperse enough not to be fatal through them. It would still be nice to have a very short barrel for that though.
 #31 
Old 2002-04-21, 03:53
Scrounger Scrounger is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Between 1 and 30 for a myriad of purposes.

Why? Why not?
 #32 
Old 2002-04-28, 01:56
belarion23 belarion23 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I agree with I love Poop-always pack around the house and never answer the door without it. My wife and I argue about this all the time. But who does she call to answer the door when 2 Jehovah Witnesses come a knockin. ME.
I am kind a light right now but currently have FN-FAL, Bulgarian AK-47, Ruger mini 30, old springfield 12 g. double barrel, and Walther P5. As an aside, never load Corbon ammo into the P5, it will jam the slide like hell and is a royal bitch to fix.
Almost have my wife convinced she needs the new Baretta 22 pistol. It is so sleak honey, it would go really nice with your black dress.

[This message has been edited by belarion23 (edited 05-09-2002).]
 #33 
Old 2002-05-06, 07:59
Chals666 Chals666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I've got a Dessert Eagle for self defense in my house, and on the streets well, a litlle 9mm in my pocket is enugh for me

sorry the spelling..... damn i always got to write that.
 #34 
Old 2002-05-06, 17:30
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Desert Eagle .50AE?
 #35 
Old 2002-05-08, 03:27
rlpinca rlpinca is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

A desert eagle .50 is just a big novelty and has no real use for self defense. Especially not for the home. It's fun to shoot but has no practical use.
 #36 
Old 2002-05-08, 19:46
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Since this topic kinda deals with home defense i was wondering if anyone has had to fire a gun in there house. I recently shot some 9x18's into 8 pieces of 1/2 inch wallboard and they where going through all of them! These were crappy hollow points that overpenetrated but even with some good tips normal bullets seem like they would go through a LOT of house
 #37 
Old 2002-05-09, 05:03
belarion23 belarion23 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Precisely why you don't need a Desert Eagle or a Springfield Match (Rifle) for home Defense. Even high powered .22 ammo can penetrate easily-never mind the potential ricochet.
You may kill the intruder and be legally in the clear but if it goes into the neighbor's home and the poor sod happens to just take a FMJ or high powered Corbon hollow point in the head-welcome to jail and Manslaughter charges.
Of course, if you pull the above weapons you may not have to shoot because it just may scare the fuck out of them. However, that is a huge gamble. Don't take it out if you are not going to immediately pull the trigger should you identify said party as a potentially lethal intruder.
 #38 
Old 2002-05-09, 19:53
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Hopefully this won't ruin all my creditability by sharing this story but, One experiance that I had with a firearm discharging in my house...

DAD (dumbass discharge) It was late and I was exhausted. I just finished doing a trigger job on my Sig Sauer P229 chambered in the .357SIG. I was going to sell it the next day to fund another HK purchase.

Chamered round was a Gold Dot Hollow Point 115grain.

I fucked up putting back in the block and lever spring for the decocker. Went to decock and BOOM!

The round blasted straight through a guitar speaker extension cabininet (4X12" crate tweed) it went through the mesh, through the cone of a speaker, out the 1/4 inch wood panel on the back, through one wall, out the other wall into the family room, straight though the leg of a end table (1/4 inch) through the dry wall which was at the permiter of the house and came to a stop on the concrete stucco where it lost all it's enegry and flattened out to nearly one inch!

I've had simular results of what I call over penatration with 9X19MM and .40S&W (however in a controlled training enviroment).

Alot of the ballastic gellatin testing I read on the internet I take with a grain of salt so to speak.

In a real life self defense shooting situation, despite all the variables, fear, adrinaline, flight or fight, etc. I think adaquate training in summing up your BACKGROUND (lol within miliseconds) is a must. Even though difacult to do under such a stressful situation.

Bullets can do some strange things, be careful. When it comes to safe firearm handling I believe you are are allowed one accident (as long as nobody is hurt or killed by your fuckup). Just learn by it!
 #39 
Old 2002-05-09, 19:56
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Pssst. Gun grabber has been spotted in the forum Weapons and Combat under the post If you don't like the US, then get the fuck out! under the name Wiper2002 any help is appreciated guys in bringing your insight, wisdom and factual facts into the arguement so we can squash this moron POS.

[This message has been edited by I Love Poop (edited 05-09-2002).]
 #40 
Old 2002-05-09, 21:31
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

Ive said it before, Hollow points and impact exploding rounds are the best for home defence as they greatly limit collateral damage. Also some pheasant shot in a short barreled shot gun seems like it would be good for just that reason.
 #41 
Old 2002-05-10, 19:58
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

GLASER and MAGSAFE make a frangable round in all the popular pistol calibers.

However unfortunitely due to the overwhelming cost of these rounds it's unrealistic to be able to take them to the range and practice with them on a regular basis.
 #42 
Old 2002-05-10, 22:44
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

You don't need to practice with the ammo you just use it to shoot intruders. Sure You should fire a shot or two of it off to test its properties, but for target practice you don't need to use the expensive rounds.
 #43 
Old 2002-05-11, 20:17
I Love Poop I Love Poop is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I still would like to. After all MAGSAFE and GLASER travel at a considerable velocity. On average 800-900+ fps greater than the standard round (thus giving them the frangible attributes).

So i'm assuming the felt recoil differs from my 185gr gold dot hollow points eh.

But when my carry ammo starts to get old i shoot it off at the range and replace them with some fresh rounds.
 #44 
Old 2002-05-12, 02:18
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: how many own guns and why?

I suppose to an extent But you could practice with a round with similar recoil aspects.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics