About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Anime
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anime This forum is for the discussion of Anime, Manga, Hentai, Cosplay, anything related to Anime or Japanese subculture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-12, 19:57
FatDaddy FatDaddy is offline
Regular
 
Default I HATE DBZ!!!

I created this post for the sole purpose of letting people vent their rage about Dragon Ball Z, which is an overrated piece o' shyte show. Let it flow. . .
 #2 
Old 2003-01-12, 20:34
Das Troll Das Troll is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

this seems like more of a bitch and moan post but ill play along. DBZ isnt over rated, infact its underrated if u went to japan. DBZ is SUPER popular there. they have DBZ eye drops, DBZ cookware, DBZ everything. its probably the most popular anime in history.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-12, 21:00
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

It's all Because of Funimation!

Those pricks "Americanized" the whole series and compleatly destroyed it. Here is what they did
-Cut out like 10 minutes out of every episode
-Changed ALL of the music (and put shitty techno in where THERE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE MUSIC)
-Changed names like "MR SATAN" to "Hurcule"
- Used that damn digital paint to change things like removing blood, changing beer to root beer.
-Removed the original intro and credits! (watch the original ones like "WE GOTTA POWER", "we were angels" and "cha la head cha la")

The show was intended for teens in japan (original Dragon Ball was for kids), but since americans are so stupid they think ALL animation is for kids, so they change it all and ruin it!

FUCKERS!!!!
 #4 
Old 2003-01-12, 21:58
Das Troll Das Troll is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

ahh "since all americans are stupid". guess u cant see me flipping off the screen

[This message has been edited by Das Troll (edited 01-12-2003).]
 #5 
Old 2003-01-12, 22:52
Kente Kente is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

quote:
The show was intended for teens in japan


Tenchi Muyo, anyone?

It's not as bad as you make out- Dragonball is now fubar, but I believe that's more to do with Cartoon Network to be honest. Funimation have done great things with other anime, most notably Blue Gender.

quote:
but since americans are so stupid they think ALL animation is for kids, so they change it all and ruin it!


Pretty sweeping statement. Check out ADV's catalogue of dubs. Among other things, they
did a damn near perfect dub of Golden Boy. Hell, the voice acting was better than the original Japanese version.

One more thing I'd like to ask- Have you ever seen the japanese version of DBZ? Most of that was just as dire as the dub. Some extra blood does not make a good story, which I believe to be of primary importance.

I personally think that Funimation did the most business friendly thing by aiming DBZ at kids. Lets face it- a dedicated adult viewing audience wasn't very likely. DBZ is too predictable. Hell, I could compare it to Yugioh in that respect.

*Bad guy appears*
*trash talking*
*fight*
*good guys start losing*
*someone pulls a trick out of his/her ass*
*good guys win*

I hate to disagree so fervently with anyone, so I apologise Rat Bastard. This wasn't anything against you- I just don't like DBZ.
 #6 
Old 2003-01-12, 22:55
Das Troll Das Troll is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

tenchi they did a horrible job on. the whole thing is based on incest and just cause its on CTN they cut that out. i droped that series right after the movies started getting out of hand. like no need for tenchi
 #7 
Old 2003-01-13, 01:46
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

"I personally think that Funimation did the most business friendly thing by aiming DBZ at kids."

Destroying a show for profit....lousy bastards.

It has been done again and again, so the whole image of anime is tarnished.

Escaflone anyone? Same thing, they cut everything, changed stuff, ect. Also It has happened with movies, like the old release of Nausca (sp?) They chaned all of the names to sound more "american" and cut out a TON of stuff to make it shorter. Same thing with Wings of honeamise, that got fucked too.

Seriously, what is up with all this anime=kiddie cartoon mentaility?
 #8 
Old 2003-01-13, 04:33
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

...Dragon Ball anyone?
 #9 
Old 2003-01-13, 05:59
aya_no_koibito aya_no_koibito is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

DBZ and DB was al right when it first came out..but its been going on for wayy to long, (the plot is all the same now)
 #10 
Old 2003-01-13, 07:34
Das Troll Das Troll is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

DB DBZ DBGT have all been dead for a while they dont make any more. the plot was stale a while ago.
 #11 
Old 2003-01-13, 13:16
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

If anyone wants, I can scan some Dragon Ball mangas. I have all 42 of them, which are actually much better than the episodes. They are all in french though. I think that the first volume was the best one.
 #12 
Old 2003-01-13, 22:10
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

Hey Xeno do you have the actual books where you can line them up for a really cool picture?
 #13 
Old 2003-01-15, 04:32
aya_no_koibito aya_no_koibito is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

I used to, (it went from DB to DBZ), because there was a manga store around here that I practically lived in, but I sold most of them and I only have a little bit left
 #14 
Old 2003-01-15, 04:41
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

Forget the scans, I just noticed that my scanner isn't operational anymore :-/

No, the french mangas don't make a drawing if you put them all together, but the original artbooks do. If you put all the 7 books togetgher (and fold them in the right way) there is a dragon and 7 balls flying around him.

I think the original japanses mangas also made some kind of drawing, but I'm not going to buy 42 original japanese mangas cause of:
[*] I can't read japanese
[*] They're mighty expensieve
[*] Some of them would prove hard to find
 #15 
Old 2003-01-15, 20:52
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

i hate all anime especially DBZ. Do the people who watch this shit realize that when a character is in a dialogue, the only movement is in his face and, occasionally, a small step in some odd direction? Even when a character does move more, the motions are simplified, and you can see the frame delay. It's all japanese bullshit brought over to make as big a profit while expending the least amount of money on actual animation as possible. I can't understand how people who watch this show don't feel cheated and turn the shit off.
 #16 
Old 2003-01-15, 22:04
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

quote:
Originally posted by rogueop:
i hate all anime especially DBZ. Do the people who watch this shit realize that when a character is in a dialogue, the only movement is in his face and, occasionally, a small step in some odd direction? Even when a character does move more, the motions are simplified, and you can see the frame delay. It's all japanese bullshit brought over to make as big a profit while expending the least amount of money on actual animation as possible. I can't understand how people who watch this show don't feel cheated and turn the shit off.


I do agree with that to a point.

T.V shows, yes.

Movies and OAV series no. Some are insanely animated.
 #17 
Old 2003-01-15, 22:10
Das Troll Das Troll is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

as oposed to disney type animation that takes millions of dollers and is still shit?
 #18 
Old 2003-01-15, 22:39
Kente Kente is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

I previously had written, but avoided posting a rather patronising reply to rogueop. I think now I'll just paraphrase it in a more pleasant manner-

Does on screen action really eclipse a good story?

And Rat Bastard is right- Metropolis, for example, rarely has any pause of on screen activity.
 #19 
Old 2003-01-16, 01:04
r0k r0k is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rat_Bastard:
It has been done again and again, so the whole image of anime is tarnished.

Escaflone anyone? Same thing, they cut everything, changed stuff, ect.[/B]


do you know some examples i just watched it on dvd and was wondering what i missed(it wasnt the box set from suncoast)

[This message has been edited by r0k (edited 01-16-2003).]
 #20 
Old 2003-01-18, 04:05
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Das Troll:
as oposed to disney type animation that takes millions of dollers and is still shit?


did i ever say disney was any good? no.

quote:
Originally posted by Kente:
Does on screen action really eclipse a good story?


No...if you're writing a book. TV, movies, etc., are video and audio, and both parts should be equally good.

I've never seen any anime movies or "OAV series" so i won't judge them for now.
 #21 
Old 2003-01-18, 07:42
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

quote:
Originally posted by rogueop:
No...if you're writing a book. TV, movies, etc., are video and audio, and both parts should be equally good.


You sir are an idiot.
 #22 
Old 2003-01-18, 20:48
aya_no_koibito aya_no_koibito is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

quote:
Originally posted by XeNobiTe:
Forget the scans, I just noticed that my scanner isn't operational anymore :-/

No, the french mangas don't make a drawing if you put them all together, but the original artbooks do. If you put all the 7 books togetgher (and fold them in the right way) there is a dragon and 7 balls flying around him.

I think the original japanses mangas also made some kind of drawing, but I'm not going to buy 42 original japanese mangas cause of:
  • I can't read japanese
  • They're mighty expensieve
  • Some of them would prove hard to find


  • Ahaha, they weren't hard to find around here because we had a direct japanese import store. And if you put them all together (the covers) on the side it should make all the characters flying (bulma in a car i think) with all the main characters, *well mine used to be*. They aren't that expensive bout, 2.00 an issue, hehe..thats me

     #23 
    Old 2003-01-22, 22:10
    Regular
     
    Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

    quote:
    Originally posted by XeNobiTe:
    You sir are an idiot.


    Why exactly?

    I do think i should amend my response, however, on-screen action does not necassarily "eclipse" a good story but a good tv show would use the video to tell the story as well as the audio.



    [This message has been edited by rogueop (edited 01-22-2003).]
     #24 
    Old 2003-01-23, 09:56
    XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

    Well as you might have noticed, they're still cartoons. Ren & Stimpy anyone? The Simpsons? Family Guy? According to you those all suck. When it comes to cartoons, the quality of the video or audio doesn't matter. And when it comes to movies, it's the acting, the storyline, the directing that matters, not the fucking visual & sound effects. If a movie is really good, it doesn't matter if you watch it on a wide screen or on DVD or VHS or if it has surround sound.

    People who think fisual effects make a good movie are the same people who voted for George W. Bush.
     #25 
    Old 2003-01-24, 01:19
    Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
    Regular
     
    Default Re: I HATE DBZ!!!

    quote:
    Originally posted by XeNobiTe:
    Well as you might have noticed, they're still cartoons. Ren & Stimpy anyone? The Simpsons? Family Guy? According to you those all suck.


    WHAT??!?!?

    Those 3 shows are my favorite american cartoons! Fuck those assholes who canned Ren&Stimpy, and Double Fuck those assholes who canned Family Guy!

    ....But praise apon high to teletoon, who put Family guy back on.
     
    To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
     

    totse.com certificate signatures
     
     
    About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
    Hot Topics