About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Anime
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anime This forum is for the discussion of Anime, Manga, Hentai, Cosplay, anything related to Anime or Japanese subculture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-19, 18:45
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

Has anyone seen these? Roger Ebert said that both of those animes are among the greatest of all movies. I have seen GOTF but not Metropolis. Has anyone seen Metropolis?
 #2 
Old 2002-07-19, 19:11
r0k r0k is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

i heard about metropolis awhile ago on the morning show but i never seen it
 #3 
Old 2002-07-19, 20:34
Sgt. Baker Sgt. Baker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

Grave of the Fireflies is an excellent movie. Kinda depressing but really good. Done by Ghibli.

I just saw Metropolis about a month ago. Also one of the best I've seen in awhile. The animation is really cool. Reminiscent of Astroboy. Great story too.

If you haven't seen either of them you really should. Ebert knows what he is talking about. I believe he also had My Neighbor Totoro on that list at one point, is it still on there?
 #4 
Old 2002-07-20, 00:30
Brent Brent is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

I have seen the dubbed version of GOTF, which I suppose doesn't count. It's not the real thing.
 #5 
Old 2002-07-20, 06:31
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

I dislike the forms of the charecters in metropolis save for the girl the robot the revolutionary and rock. The climax of the movie is hillarious due to the music choice. Oh and if you do see the movie stay till the goddamned end. The people who leave early find the movie depressing.
 #6 
Old 2002-07-21, 08:26
MR.SMITH MR.SMITH is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

I dont usually watch anime, and i got GOTF from a japaneese friend who told me even if i didnt like anime ide like this. I put it in and expected it to suck, and it was really good. Its kind of depressing though, and I spent all week thinking about it. Did thank kinda shit really happen in Japan back then? The whole kids starving and the evil aunt and stuff?
 #7 
Old 2002-07-21, 15:30
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

yes. i still can't believe that bitch took everything for herself.

we watched the original version of Grave of the Fireflies in my japanese class (no subtitles, no dubbing. just straight Nihongo). That was quite rough and i'm not sure i caught the entire story, but it was very dramatic.
 #8 
Old 2002-08-07, 06:24
0_sirus 0_sirus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Grave of the Fireflies and Metropolis

Metropolis is one of the greatest anime's of all time. The character drawing style might look a little different than traditional anime, but that is only because the movie is loosly based on Osamu Tezuka's comic book Astroboy. If you want to buy it, get the DVD, do not bother to waste your money on VHS. Shit, that goes for all movies.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics