|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Anime This forum is for the discussion of Anime, Manga, Hentai, Cosplay, anything related to Anime or Japanese subculture. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-07-02, 22:36
|
|
|
neon genesis evangelion
whatda u guys think of it, i've only ever seen shitty .avi movies in chinese or with really hard to read english subtitles.
from what i have seen, it looks really good but i am not to sure of the plot line. from what little i could grasp, predictably the earth is under attack from big dirty great aliens? so they employ the use of kids with severe emotional problems to pilot huge robot killing machines and it all gets a bit foggy/odd from there, theres something about a spear and a big thing on a wall with loads of eyes.
anyone care to fill in the blanks?
|
|
#2
 2002-07-02, 23:51
|
Wintermute 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
after about the first 12 episodes it gets really depressing.. like REALLY depressing..
|
|
#3
 2002-07-03, 14:39
|
tsunami 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
I don't know if anyone thought the same, but every time I watched it I noticed something new everytime, for eg. how shinji's mother was in his eva or asuka's mother in her eva. Has everyone seen Death and Rebirth, the end of evangelion. so cool. I also agree it's depressing, but good and I could funny enough relate to a few of the characters in it.  The creator of this must hate his mother, have you noticed that all of them are dead. lol
|
|
#4
 2002-07-03, 15:08
|
tsunami 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Your close enough... without giving to much away cause you might see it in english later. the series goes simply you have angels suppose to be the bad guys. then you have the eva's. The eva's and humans are linked as they match to 99. whatever %. Mankind came from eva. The 14 yr olds are the pilots, and everyone of them have their problems. the spear of longinus I think that how it's spelt mmmm! ?... and finally there is a part where you see some sort of surveilance footage that when man was experimenting with the angels or eva's, the experiment went wrong and then kaboom, I think they called it second impact. It's worth seeing in english...
|
|
#5
 2002-07-04, 07:59
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
First! avi format is the best format out there under todays standereds....its used with mpeg-4 and DivX. Second! Its my all time fav and first anime I ever saw....AND YOU GUYS KNOW SHIT!!! I SAW IT IN VIV FORMAT!!!!...now thats terrible *shiver*...well it was like 4 years back....wow...I saw evangelion AND the movie (End of Evangelion) when I was 10...maybe thats what fucked me up...
|
|
#6
 2002-07-04, 08:01
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
god I love double posting...  ..SCREW EDITING!!!....and DUB'S ALWAYS SUCK MY SALTY CHOCOLATE BALLS!!!...ahh...being 14 
|
|
#7
 2002-07-04, 08:54
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
bah... avi can be as good or as bad as the creator wants it to be within reason. it depends if the encoder was going for byte size or picture quality and the ones i saw were so pixelated you couldn't work out what was going on at all most of the time. quote: DUB'S ALWAYS SUCK MY SALTY CHOCOLATE BALLS!!!
um... i hope u were talking about dubbing 
|
|
#8
 2002-07-04, 09:36
|
tsunami 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
avi format is the best format out there under todays standereds avi is my preference, but I also like MPEG, and it's standards. YOU GUYS KNOW SHIT!!! I SAW IT IN VIV FORMAT You could phrase that more politely couldn't you.
about your age, it's not like I care hold old you are, but:
I saw evangelion AND the movie (End of Evangelion) when I was 10... god I love double posting-yada yada yada-ahh...being 14 BAH!!!...its called a joke...im not 7...im 6 7 to be exact
[b]6,7,10,14 pick an age...
|
|
#9
 2002-07-04, 14:23
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by tsunami: [b]avi format is the best format out there under todays standereds avi is my preference, but I also like MPEG, and it's standards. YOU GUYS KNOW SHIT!!! I SAW IT IN VIV FORMAT You could phrase that more politely couldn't you.
about your age, it's not like I care hold old you are, but:
I saw evangelion AND the movie (End of Evangelion) when I was 10... god I love double posting-yada yada yada-ahh...being 14 BAH!!!...its called a joke...im not 7...im 6 7 to be exact
6,7,10,14 pick an age...
I'm 35, single live alone in my studio apartment live off welfair and im 500 lb
|
|
#10
 2002-07-04, 15:01
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
I thought it was alright.
Btw, .mov format is the gayest shit ever.
|
|
#11
 2002-07-06, 15:58
|
tsunami 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by ChibiMiko: I'm 35, single live alone in my studio apartment live off welfair and im 500 lb
 Now doesn't feel better to tell the truth!!! lol
|
|
#12
 2002-07-07, 16:42
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
I saw the first few when I had filesharing software, and they were great. Does anyone know if I can download the rest somewhere?
|
|
#13
 2002-07-07, 16:45
|
XeNobiTe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Yes kazaa  . The speed is really great.
|
|
#14
 2002-07-07, 23:37
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by XeNobiTe: Yes kazaa . The speed is really great.
/me uses chibi's super choke hold YOU BASTERED!!! KAZAA MUST BURN!!!!!!!!!!! /me starts beating the shit out of tr0g oh look...someone wants me to shove a floor lamp up your ass *pychotic grin* 
|
|
#15
 2002-07-08, 06:55
|
XeNobiTe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Cibi I'm 11 years older than you. And tr0g is 29 years older than you. How can you possibly fight us?
|
|
#16
 2002-07-08, 10:58
|
Dr Spock 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
It`s generqlly thought to be one of the best recent anime to come out. This could be simply because no one understands it or what its trying to do (myself incuded).
So in short, go see it, but you're description came closest so far....14 year olds with extreem mental problems fight off aliens.....and then everything gets really foggy, murky, and too deep to really see the bottom.
Conpounding this problem, the show has like 3 different endings which seem to contractict each other (the original, and 2 movies), all of which seem to explain the show in an entirely different way. For instance, in the version I own, the robots or aliens or fighting arent even MENTIONED, much less SEEN in the final episode. Despite their being increasingly shown up to that point. The characters spend the final episode being pulled mentally inside out, along with their hapless audience...
I wont give out more than that, but i'm sure you can already find a spoiler somewhere else.
Go watch it. Then rent something like Those Hho Hunt Elves to heal your broken psyche.
|
|
#17
 2002-07-09, 19:33
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
wow, got it this morning at 9.30 spent the rest of the day watching it til 16.00. i feel like i've had a mental enema. pretty fucking confuseing but really nice fight scenes. the one i have ends with the 5th child revealing himself to be an angel and er... um... gets killed?? (may have to watch it again). still got the movie to watch, but will save that for some other time.
really nice anime, i would totally recomend this. maybe a bit to long and confuseing.
|
|
#18
 2002-07-09, 20:02
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by dub: i feel like i've had a mental enema
Do you even know what you just said?, in case you dont "I feel like I mentaly shove a tube full of water up my ass and squirted it all in so I can shit" ...mastake me if im wrong...but isint that? -Chibi -The man with a tube full of water
|
|
#19
 2002-07-10, 08:44
|
Dr Spock 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Chibi: Consider yourself "mastaked."
Yea dub, thats the one I have too. I know what you mean. Just go rent yourself something less wierd like Tenchi Muyo or Magic Knights Rayearth.
under no circumstances follow this up directly with Serial Experiments: Lain, Akira, Ghost in the Shell or Digi Charat. Severe permanent mental dammage may occur.
[This message has been edited by Dr Spock (edited 07-10-2002).]
|
|
#20
 2002-07-10, 18:07
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by XeNobiTe: Cibi I'm 11 years older than you. And tr0g is 29 years older than you. How can you possibly fight us?
It's in the laws of anime somewhere that smaller (faster) people always kick older people's ass -Chibi -The anime law expert
|
|
#21
 2002-07-11, 00:47
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Only if you draw yourself into the 1 dimensional world, Chibi.
|
|
#22
 2002-07-12, 15:53
|
MagKnightX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
I saw the whole series subbed. I also saw End of Evangelion. I haven't seen Death and Rebirth yet. I am severely confused. I do not take drugs. Ducks don't have any thumbs. HELP! Help me understand so I can stop hurting my brain whenever I think about it! PLEASE!
|
|
#23
 2002-07-12, 23:46
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by MagKnightX: I saw the whole series subbed. I also saw End of Evangelion. I haven't seen Death and Rebirth yet. I am severely confused. I do not take drugs. Ducks don't have any thumbs. HELP! Help me understand so I can stop hurting my brain whenever I think about it! PLEASE!
What part is confusing? and I havnt seen death and rebirth, I havnt really seen it on the web ethier, I'm starting to think those last 2 eps of the series were it. -Chibi -The....human
|
|
#24
 2002-07-13, 01:12
|
MagKnightX 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by ChibiMiko: What part is confusing?
The part that exists. Everything. I'm going to DL Death and Rebirth and Akira. Then, I'm going to have an eleven o'clock to whenever Eva marathon, followed by Akira. Maybe GITS. Possibly Lain. I want a broken brain!
|
|
#25
 2002-07-13, 09:42
|
tsunami 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
There seems to be confusion over "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion": There are 26 + 2 movies, as mentioned above. The movies are in short a remix of the 26 episodes. "Death and Rebirth" is basically the summary of the first 24 episodes and "End of Evangelion" is basically the summary and conclusion of 25-26. -Eva Expert-
|
|
#26
 2002-07-18, 23:01
|
Sgt. Baker 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Actually the movies were never planned to be made. The end of the episodes was the original end of the series according to Anno. Fans bitched and he made Death, Rebirth, and The End. There was also a bit of controversy from the Catholic Church about the series and it's depiction of angels. Great series, need to watch the whole thing about ten times to understand it fully and to catch all the things you missed the first nine times. It has one of the deepest and most complex plots of anything I have ever come across. I think there are plans to bring Death, Rebirth and The End to DVD in the U.S. soon so start looking.
|
|
#27
 2002-07-22, 12:14
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Wernt there romour's going around like a year ago where they were working on a new movie? its prob fake but some guy made a really legit lookin poster.
-Chibi
-How the hell can they make a comeback to everyone one dieing, and then the world gets reincarnated because rei becomes god, and with the whole black moon, the rainbow ganits cross, poping out of the planet's, a sea of blood, and thing's poping out of people's eye's, and people turning into orange shit when rei's clone touchs them..........yes its a very fucked up movie.....
-Chibi
-And the curch can PRE-SUCK-MY-GENITAL-SITUATION!
|
|
#28
 2002-07-26, 10:17
|
Zyliah 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: Originally posted by MagKnightX: Possibly Lain. I want a broken brain!
Get Lain, chances are it'll mess you up more with the whole Totse-going web person you are ;p
|
|
#29
 2002-08-06, 22:25
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
OMG, Evangelion is awesome. I have the entire series on vhs, I've seen it 14 times. The last 4 times, were all in one sitting each. We locked ourselves in a room and watched it all! Very depressing though. The movies are great too. We were lucky enough to see the movies on a big screen (local anime theater), very tricky. As for understanding it...you just have to sit down with 5 or 6 people, and talk about it, takes days, weeks, but you'll figure it out. One of my friends has been on about 8 different anti-anxiety drugs after seeing it. quote: under no circumstances follow this up directly with Serial Experiments: Lain, Akira, Ghost in the Shell or Digi Charat. Severe permanent mental dammage may occur.
[This message has been edited by Dr Spock (edited [/quote[
The most recent time we watched it all, we watched Lain afterwords...holy shit that bas strange.
[quote]"End of Evangelion" is basically the summary and conclusion of 25-26.
Have you ever even seen episodes 25-26? Its basically all of the characters being examined very closely, having every part of their mind picked apart. End of Evangelion is MUCH different. quote: There was also a bit of controversy from the Catholic Church about the series and it's depiction of angels
Not to mention Adam, and the rest of the creation references, and other early biblical similiarities. The angels in Evangelion are simply passing judgement upon earth. /me pauses, hopefully someone didn't already know that, and is going into convulsions right now Anyway, the whole thing has to do with the end of the world, creation, etc, some people seem to think that since it takes place in modern times, its the second coming, but there are no references to that, so I think its just god passing judgement upon earth, or something like that, hell, theres even a flood.
|
|
#30
 2002-08-09, 23:25
|
biot 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
i picked up death and rebirth about a week ago and it's pretty bad ass. It's a big improvement from my vhs bootleg version. the dub job is really nice in most parts but there was one scene that made me cringe, when auska is about to kick some ass after her cable get shot off. you guys know what i mean, well maybe not. I still prefer the subtitles.
Im going to pick up end of evangelion when i spot one. Wish i had a hundred extra bucks to pick up the box set.
evangelion kicks ass.
|
|
#31
 2002-08-11, 00:08
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
i got the box set on ebay.com for �31, theres a guy who just sells them from hong kong.
|
|
#32
 2002-09-03, 16:02
|
joe1627 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
ok i have watched this series so many times, because u get a better understanding of it each time, the way i figured things to b is that humans were already existant before the day of impact or whatever (the day adam landed on the earth) and adam is an "angel" the first angel to b precise. you can see his wings at the begining of te series. the eva's, created by uhhh nerve i belive the name of the group is, the pilots are all 14 years old, born on the day adam hit the earth, and they all also don't have a mother(they have died), each eva is specifically made for each child. that is all pretty obious. now, the spear of longinus or whatever is in "eve" who crashed the same day as adam, and adam who is acutally the size of a fetus is with shinji's father. ok, now when the spear was taken to b used to destroy one of the angels, then it landed on the moon. when it was taken out, eve was able to regrow a bit and continues to regrow. ok, now eves, are actual living things contained in an armor like exoskelliton and is seen to break out when eva 1 owns up on that one angel and starts to eat it, the compatibility that each pilot must have with the eva is really important so it don't go beserk, obious once again. ok well i am gonna stop here and describe more later, just post that u want me to describe more and i will, but this is the basics....
Later~ Joe~
|
|
#33
 2002-09-03, 20:15
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: humans were already existant before the day of impact or whatever (the day adam landed on the earth)
Of course they were, it happened in the year 2000, humans were there, in fact, its even possible that humans caused second impact, they at least knew it was gonna happen. quote: and they all also don't have a mother(they have died), each eva is specifically made for each child. that is all pretty obious
The evas are obviously not made specifically for each child. First of all, the children were around before the Evas came to be, so, thats out of the question. As to why these particular children can pilot the Evas? Well, Eva's have souls, thats what distinguishes them from the Ange's they're built around, or mere machines. The soul in Eva 01 is the soul of Shinji's mother, and the soul in Eva 02 is the soul of Asuka's mother. Interestingly enough, Shinji's mother died while trying to synchronize with 01, and Asuka's mother went insane trying to. So, I think you can assume thats where the souls came from. As for Eva 00, I'm guessing that Shinji's mother already synchronized with it, thats why Rei is able to do it so easily, and with Unite 01 as well. quote: compatibility that each pilot must have with the eva is really important so it don't go beserk
I don't think thats right. Asukas synch ratios and harmonics go down several times towards the end of the series, and her Eva doesn't go berserk. I'm guessing that these numbers have more to do with whether or not you're able to control the eva.
|
|
#34
 2002-09-04, 17:02
|
joe1627 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
ok, well when i said humans already existed, it was a reply to an earlier post that said otherwise, i was just too lazy to quote it, anyway......the evas themselves, are not specifically made for each child, because the evas have a physical "body", but what was designed and programed for specific children is the armor that holds the evas in binding, if u notice, eva 01 only roars/howls after pieces of armor are broken off, the armor is what holds the eva in place and allows the children to control it, their sync ratios ARE important in that the child will have more control of the eva and thus the eva will react to the children and not by its own free will Ok and the souls of the departed mothers are a factor in the evas and such, i just didn't care enough to pay attention  also u say that angels are used in the making of the evas, obiously, but when you said the angels do not have a soul, then i ask you why they are able to put up their own barriers, the best example i can muster up is with the angel that posesess eva 02, i don't remember which number it was, it was the one that looked like a human and tricked shinji, anyway he was able to put up his own barrier, and he specifically notes that the barriers are the product of the souls (this may not b entirely the right thing he said, i don't remember that well) thats it for me today, my offer to explain whatever i can about the series is still on the table Lates~ Joe~
|
|
#35
 2002-09-21, 20:15
|
Zombeefish 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
just a couple things that not everybody knows. -the second impact didnt actually happen. the giant explosion that killed most of the world was caused by SEELE to avoid the second impact. when people asked what it was, they just said it was the second impact. -it was told that humans were the last angel, and the fight between the angels was based on which race was going to be the last to live, and be in gods favor. -the reason that only certain kids were able to pilot the evas was because they were, in a way, built for them. this is seen because each pilot's mother's soul was in their respective eva. even rei, who's mother was lilith(or was it adam?)and was used in the creation of eva 00. -SEELE's purpose was to cause the third impact. the reason behind this was that humanity(the last angel) had reached the pinnacle of its evolutionary train. SEELE's method of bringing about the third impact(which would really be the second impact.see above) was to kill all of humanity and hope that they found favor in god's eyes. -cookies aren't always good with milk.
if i think of any other things, i'll be sure to post them too.
[This message has been edited by Zombeefish (edited 09-21-2002).]
|
|
#36
 2002-09-22, 17:40
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
quote: their sync ratios ARE important in that the child will have more control of the eva and thus the eva will react to the children and not by its own free will
Thats partially what I said actually. But, theres no real evidence that the Evas will act of their own will (except in the case of Shinji, who although may be incapacitated at the time, still willed the Eva to do what it did). However, theres evidence to the contrary, like I said, Rei's synch ratios and harmonics go way down (almost zero) at the end of the series. Her Eva doesn't go out of control, it just stops moving. quote: when you said the angels do not have a soul
I didn't say all angels do not have souls. I said... "Well, Eva's have souls, thats what distinguishes them from the Angel's they're built around". I didn't say all angels, just the ones used for the creation of Eva. It seems quite likely that they developed souls, much like they developed better armor, attacks, and tactics. quote: but what was designed and programed for specific children is the armor that holds the evas in binding,
Designed...not necessarily. Programmed for, yes. If you recall, when Shinji first decides not to pilot unit 01 again, Gendo orders that it be re-programmed for Rei. This either means that the design has nothing to do with it (hence why the pilots are interchangeable), or, that its just an extension of Shinji and Rei being very similiar genetically.
|
|
#37
 2002-09-23, 21:44
|
TOWCHBob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
it was askua whos sync ratio went down
|
|
#38
 2002-09-23, 21:50
|
djsam 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: neon genesis evangelion
Yeah, thats what I meant, thanks for pointing out my mistake.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|