About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Anime
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anime This forum is for the discussion of Anime, Manga, Hentai, Cosplay, anything related to Anime or Japanese subculture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-06-16, 23:28
Regular
 
Downey California
Default You should all be ashamed

How can Americans enjoy Anime? Eastern entertainment, how dare you. I remember growing up collecting baseball cards, playing sports, and watching cartoons. My generation I believe was the first to be recognized as having a problem with watching too much television. Classic, classic shows: Ghostbusters (before the Spanish accents were introduced), Care Bears, Transformers, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Jetson's...

The other day I went to a card collecting place in South Bay area of Southern California and 75% of the store was full of this Japanese animation crap. Overly big eyes, perfect manners and grammar, and just an overly spooky and chill feeling when you watch or look at it. What is up with our youth?

Being raised by the entertainment of foreign cultures, how sad
 #2 
Old 2001-06-17, 00:07
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

dude...


i know that we are cool and everything, but transformer's is a japanese project that didn't hit off in japan because the robots were too block like.

it got sent here and became a hit. transformers is a bastard child of japanese culture.
 #3 
Old 2001-06-29, 19:47
Moderator
 
East end
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

I STRONGLY AGREE.

I LIVE IN ENGLAND AND I'M 16...NOT THAT OLD...BUT OLD ENOUGH.

I REMEMBER TRANSFORMERS AND LOVED IT, TOM AND JERRY, ETC...

THEN THESE FUCKING JAP CARTOONS COME TO AMERICA AND THEN TO ENGLAND...WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM?...CAN'T THEY PERCIEVE A HUMAN BODY PROPERLY?

I MEAN, THE EYES ARE MASSIVE; THE NOSES ARE FUCKED UP; WHEN THEY ARE IN LOVE, A HUGE HEART FLOATS UPWARDS; THEY FALL OVER FOR NO APPARENT REASON WHEN THEY GET EMBARRASED OR ANNOYED AND THEY ALL SPEAK LIKE TRUE LITTLE GOOD CHILDREN WHO ALWAYS DO AS THEIR MUMMY TELLS THEM!

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE PILE OF SHIT!!!!!

[This message has been edited by psycho_8b (edited 06-29-2001).]
 #4 
Old 2001-06-29, 22:37
Drim Ba'hal Drim Ba'hal is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

have you read the previous post? transformers IS a japanese made cartoon!!! where do you think the big giant robots that transform idea came from?

sorry to say, transformers is spawn of japan. as well as go-bots.
 #5 
Old 2001-06-30, 08:32
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1709/
lokil, Behold the truth about youre precious pinko smurfs!
 #6 
Old 2001-07-02, 08:25
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

Nice try Smithee, but anything can be interpreted to meet your point of view!
 #7 
Old 2001-07-03, 08:01
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

Can someone tell me what he wrote, I don't read Pinko.
 #8 
Old 2001-07-03, 13:30
Dr.Fumanchu Dr.Fumanchu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

You Fucking Dumbshit nazi fucker. You are obviously masking your hatred of the Asian culture by talking shit about how crap Anime is. Do you know how many shitty American, Lameo, childish, annoying cartoon characters there are? Fuck. The point is this CARTOONS ARE FOR FUCKING KIDS! Have you actually sat through a whole episode of Power Rangers, Barney and Friends,Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Sylvester and tweet mysteries(Warner cartoons are fucking shit. The old one are still classic though), Captain Planet....the list of shit goes on. Dragonball, pokemon are directed to 5 yolds not 35 year old men. But there are also good American Cartoons also, Toy Story Shrek, Johnny Bravo, Batman Animated Series, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Lab, Old WB cartoons, Beast wars.

But I suggest Ghost in the Shell, Akira, etc. those will warp your mind. They are anime more directed to an adult audience. And other series that are not for kiddies include Neon Genisis, Goku.
 #9 
Old 2001-07-03, 19:29
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

I loved Captain Planet!

But Lokil, does it bother you that our culture has spread to other countries and is destroying their ways of life? The French don't like it.

 #10 
Old 2001-07-04, 09:17
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

reboot
 #11 
Old 2001-07-06, 03:13
lostandconfused lostandconfused is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

hey!!!
cartoons are cartoons!
who gives a fuck where they came from?
i just watch cartoons cause i like them, not because of where they came from.

you guys sound kinda racist...
and Dr.Fumanchu sounds asian and proud, good on ya drf
 #12 
Old 2001-07-06, 16:48
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

I don't hate or dislke Asians, in fact I respect them for stealing al of our American technologies and improving on them!

Entertainment,
 #13 
Old 2001-07-08, 12:50
Dr.Fumanchu Dr.Fumanchu is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

I sensed a tad of sarcasm in your last post.
Anyway, if you truly believe that you're not racist then I'd have to say that you're a closet-nazi.

 #14 
Old 2001-07-08, 16:14
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

Does it matter where your entertainment comes from?

Personally, I like Anime.. Have to say that Rurouni Kenshin is probably my favorite, because of the combination of great style, great fight scenes, humour, convoluted and complicated plot lines, and interesting characters.. But that's besides the point.. my only real point is that quality should be recognised no matter where it comes from.. It's like saying that noone should ever listen to Mozart again, because he wasn't american. Or Beethoven, or Bach..

Much as I like Aaron Copland, I'd hate to be stuck with fanfare for the common man for an eternity..

Art, cartoons, entertainment, it's still that no matter where it comes from
 #15 
Old 2001-07-09, 05:41
Chimera Chimera is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: You should all be ashamed

nicely said suziegirl....everyone's got different interests, dont critisize someone for that. anyways, im not into anime but i'd like to be, but i have a limited budget and i really dont have friends that r interested. i try and buy taped and from wut i can tell, ghost in the shell and akira are the best, so im goin for them.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics