About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > DIY
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:07
UrMom UrMom is offline
Regular
 
Default Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

I heard that a good way to test homemade alchohol to be safely drinkable was to pour some into a cap and light it. If it burns with a pure blue flame it was fine; anything else it isn't. Is this a suitable way to test it and does anyone else know of some simple ways to do test it.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:21
Das Troll Das Troll is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

hmm never heard that before. but i know 195 proof everclear burns blue so that might be somthing.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:36
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

no thats not very safe at all !! i would just go out and buy a hydrometer
 #4 
Old 2002-12-31, 00:37
girlzlover7 girlzlover7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

that just tests how much alcohol there is in it

check one of the other 2 homade liqour threads I posted exact directions for making safe alcohol there
 #5 
Old 2002-12-31, 00:37
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

I wouldn't say that method is reliable. I agree that pure alcohol, when ignited, does burn with a similar colour flame to the lighter of the blue totse post backgrounds and i also know that lab grade methylated spirits (with ethanol and other crap in it) burns with a green or purple flame (depends on when it was made, before government regulations on methylated spirits or after). So you would think that non pure, but drinkable and safe, alcohol would burn with a darker blue flame without purple or green flecks in it. I can't be of whether ethanol in alcohol would show as flecks or whether it would just change the hue of the flame darker. You could maybe try lighting some store bought booze and see what colour it burns- i would have done this myself but i currently only have some very fine Marsovin/Brussacs Cab Sauv, Sauv Blanc, Merlot and Cassier de Grenma along with some fine double malt whiskey and some Dow's '85 port. No way am i burning any of that.

Chunk
 #6 
Old 2002-12-31, 16:08
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

Just make sure you dump out the first 25% of your distilled mash....and then when you run it through again dump the first 10%....Gotta watch out for that methanol....
 #7 
Old 2002-12-31, 20:33
girlzlover7 girlzlover7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

no first you keep it at 70 degrees till there isnt anything comming out anymore dump that is all methanol then up the temp to 80 and keep it at that till it stops flowing keep that and chuck everything else
 #8 
Old 2002-12-31, 20:55
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

quote:
Originally posted by girlzlover7:
no first you keep it at 70 degrees till there isnt anything comming out anymore dump that is all methanol then up the temp to 80 and keep it at that till it stops flowing keep that and chuck everything else


some people don't have a cooker that you can set the temp .. nor a good thermometer set up
 #9 
Old 2003-01-07, 03:44
TheSell0ut TheSell0ut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

quote:
Originally posted by Agent Boris_KGB:
Just make sure you dump out the first 25% of your distilled mash....and then when you run it through again dump the first 10%....Gotta watch out for that methanol....


You must get really bored of telling people how to make alcohol.

 #10 
Old 2003-01-23, 23:22
RecDude RecDude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

I have tested "moonshine" before and here is how I do it.

1. The blue flame method is a good test but not an exact science. The purer the alcohol the cleaner and bluer the flame. NOT ALL IMPURITIES WILL BURN! use caution.

2. The light test. Hold the alcohol up to the light in a clear jar or glass. (IF Your Alcohol is "white"). Check for sediment and objects floating. Also shake it with a lid on it and you shoud see clear tiny bubbles rising to the top.

3. The Buddy test is the best and most accurate. Give some to a friend and let them drink it first. Obseve carefully, if they do not die, go insane, become paralyzed, or go blind then it should be ok to drink.

4. The self test. This is also a good test. Drink a SMALL amount. (2 or 3 ounces) Wait one hour. See above. If none of the effects are noted then it should be alright in a limited quantity. Do not over indulge the first time. Wait a day if no adverse effects are noted then PARTY ON !!!!

Always use caution when drinking anything homemade or from an unknown source. (It could be pee and Pepsi).
 #11 
Old 2003-01-24, 00:45
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

I don't intend to sound sarcastic here but I used to buy homemade "White lightning" from some good ole' boys (bikers) in North Carolina when I lived in the appalachian mountains. What I would do to test it is drink it with the guy I bought it from.

Best god damn ETOH you ever had. 1 shot was like 2 beers and it sold for $5 a mason jar and I sold it to college students for $10-$20 a mason jar along with the mexican weed I was peddeling. Ah, the good old days.

If you are making it yourself, they say to throw out the first batch. I don't know why but I have heard this time and time again. Actually, I really have no idea but I think that making who ever you get it from drink it first would be a start.

I have also heard making it in a car radiator is a bad idea.

I would have to agree with that one.

You know, boones farm ain't too bad and the price is right too.
 #12 
Old 2003-01-24, 01:18
Regular
 
Downey California
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

Also, just one more question. How are you making your ethanol? Is it simply by fermentation? If you are distilling it from denatured alcohol dont even try drinking it! It will contain methanol and make you go blind
 #13 
Old 2003-01-26, 08:01
girlzlover7 girlzlover7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

you dont throw out the first batch you throw out the first 50-100ml thats methanol if you follow the distilling instructions that I posted it will be close to pure

giving it to a friend or yourself wont work because the stuff (methanol) that makes you blind or paralyzed only does that if you drink a lot several times that is why I think you are full of shit

[This message has been edited by girlzlover7 (edited 01-26-2003).]
 #14 
Old 2003-01-31, 19:57
Regular
 
Dublin Ireland
Default Re: Testing Homemade Alchohol Purity

In Ireland we have a drink called Puch�nn,which is made from a vegtable like a carrot,potato or something and the alchohol is like 80% in volume and if you had ~3 shots you would be totally sauced .Its really illegal,if you were caught by the police you would have a fine of ~ �800 & 3 years in prison,so they brewers make iton the little islands that surround Ireland.Ive had 1 sip of it and its one strong motherfucker!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics