About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > DIY
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY Do It Yourself! Advice on how to make beer, plant a garden, use power tools, record music, and build things yourself.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-05, 02:36
deadkennedy deadkennedy is offline
Regular
 
Default hoovercraft brakes

Well, I wanted to know what you guys thought. I already built a hoovercraft and I can get it to go 45, but I need something to stop it. I have thought about a fan in front with some rocket engines, but they would be too costly and im not sure how good they would work. The next thing I was thinking of was a hand brake. I would build a bit of extra board on each side and make a slit. In the slit a strong piece of metal would go. It would, of course be hooked up to gears and stuff, but im not sure if that would stop the hoovercraft. I think the handbrake idea would work but it would take too long to stop. I have reserched a lot about hoovercrafts and couldn't find anything on brakes. I also would do an experiment, but I was hoping someone here would know and save me like 50 bucks or more.
Thanks
 #2 
Old 2002-12-05, 13:41
girlzlover7 girlzlover7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

maybe turn off the main fan so that the hovercraft bord touches the ground and that makes it slow down
 #3 
Old 2002-12-05, 14:44
deadkennedy deadkennedy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

well, the hoovercraft has a skirt on the end. I don't want that to rip and if i turn it off, it stops immediatly and i go flying
 #4 
Old 2002-12-05, 17:15
girlzlover7 girlzlover7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes


do you have 1 fan pushing air down and one back or 1 fan for both

if you have 2 fans reverse the one pushing you if you have one doing both get a couple small fans and put them in the front so you can slow down with a switch for each so you can controll how fast you slow down
 #5 
Old 2002-12-05, 20:50
deadkennedy deadkennedy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

yeah thats what i was thinking of. I have 2 fans.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-06, 16:59
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

if you can post a pic of your craft or a design or sketch is your skirt a soild one the goes under neath with multiple hols or is it a skirt that just goes under with the bottom completly open

if possible just put a leaver with a metal spike in it that when you pull on it it will drag against the ground or dig in and stop it
 #7 
Old 2002-12-06, 22:37
deadkennedy deadkennedy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

It is a solid one that is sealed under the wood. there is one hole in the center to let air out. I think i might need another small one because it is very taut but im afraid to make it too big. no, sorry I can't post a pic or sketch here because my scanner is broke.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-07, 17:29
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

ok no problem
 #9 
Old 2002-12-11, 22:30
Regular
 
If she's easy, take'r twice.
Default Re: hoovercraft brakes

find some small wheels to mount underneath the skirt, but far enough away from the fans as to not create resistance. the anchor is the best idea though.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics