About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-02-01, 02:36
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default For those who doubt HMTD

Everyone I have talked to (even some at the E&W) have had problems with this peroxide, mainly cruddy yields. But it all comes down to lazy procedure, and bad execution.

I followed megas synth exactly and got what I wanted. Most ppl leave out the bit where you stirr for 3 hours at 0, then let stand at room temprature for 2 hours. That makes ALL the difference. Here is the proof:


I used my trusty lego stirrer:


The beaker was in a pot full of salt/ice, and the long arm of the stirrer reached over and the rod stirred the mix for 3 hours. Worked like a dream.

EDIT: After the two hours at room temprature, I picked up the beaker (top pic) and it felt kinda warm. The reaction must of heated it up a little.

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #2 
Old 2003-02-01, 02:59
Ion Ion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

Where did you get the stirrer and how much did it cost?
 #3 
Old 2003-02-01, 03:02
draggo draggo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

He just said that he made it out of lego! I use K'nex.
 #4 
Old 2003-02-01, 04:38
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

I use a mag stirrer, but the time I made HMTD I just stirred for thirty minutes and left it in the fridge overnight. Next morning I got the same yield as mega's synth.
 #5 
Old 2003-02-01, 04:39
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

I am a legoaholic from way back to and I give you kudos for the stirrer.
 #6 
Old 2003-02-01, 07:07
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

quote:
Originally posted by tryptamine:
I use a mag stirrer, but the time I made HMTD I just stirred for thirty minutes and left it in the fridge overnight. Next morning I got the same yield as mega's synth.


Meh, it could aso be the fact thet they use a different catalyst rather than citric acid.

Sometimes citric acid is easy as hell to get, and for some people it's impossible.

Yeah, im glad I kept my good old lego.
 #7 
Old 2003-02-01, 07:42
Burgalveist Burgalveist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

Hehe, lego stirrer. Nice ingenuity!
 #8 
Old 2003-02-01, 08:41
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

After washing with bicarb solution, lots of water, isopropyl, and dried, the final yield was 9.6 grams. MUCH better than my old attempts- a cruddy .5 -1 grams max.



P.S: this is about enough to fill a film canister (unpressed).

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #9 
Old 2003-02-01, 09:02
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

I was never cool enough to have any legos with motors in them...

However, I do have 420mL of MEKP!

Hoping to use it this weekend.
 #10 
Old 2003-02-01, 09:26
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

My attempts of hmtd were odd. I put everything togther and after a day noting....i got kinda uninterested and forgot...a week later i looked again and the untire thing was full however the crystals were big about 3mm long..

i dont like hmtd for the fact its light sensitive
 #11 
Old 2003-02-01, 09:48
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

quote:
Originally posted by EP:
I was never cool enough to have any legos with motors in them...

However, I do have 420mL of MEKP!

Hoping to use it this weekend.


God damn thats a lot! What did you do, quadrupled the synth?

That is one of the things I havent gotten around to making; I have all the materials, but keep on forgeting.

Which method did you use?

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #12 
Old 2003-02-01, 11:33
Regular
 
Dublin Ireland
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

I havent made HMTD since my accident with it,I get jumpy if make AP or something

[This message has been edited by Daithai (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #13 
Old 2003-02-01, 15:25
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

I used the synth I found on madscience: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=20

It doesn't get you much, so I did four trippled batches then four more along with a batch six times as large. And now I'm out of MEK...

BREAKING NEW: Space Shuttle burns up on landing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2716369.stm

 #14 
Old 2003-02-01, 15:43
a1b2c3 a1b2c3 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

Yeah, that is alot of MEKP. I'm watching the breaking news about the space shuttle on television right now... I wonder what the danerous fumes are consisted of.
 #15 
Old 2003-02-01, 19:45
cooper cooper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

are you going to film the 420ml of MEKP going off EP?
 #16 
Old 2003-02-01, 20:27
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

thats kind of sad
 #17 
Old 2003-02-01, 21:02
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

quote:
Originally posted by a1b2c3:
Yeah, that is alot of MEKP. I'm watching the breaking news about the space shuttle on television right now... I wonder what the danerous fumes are consisted of.


The dangerous propellant they keep talking about is probably the hypergolic, 2 part propellant they use in the thrusters. When the 2 parts meet each other, they ignite. One of the parts is hydrazine, one is something else. Oh well, there's another thread for that.

As for HMTD, I can't get citric acid or hexamine anymore, so I'm screwed.
 #18 
Old 2003-02-02, 01:37
Smokey the Bear Smokey the Bear is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

The fuel for fast-response rockets is kept separate as they ignite immediately upon mixing; the two components are methylhydrazine and dinitrogen tetraoxide.
 #19 
Old 2003-02-02, 02:19
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For those who doubt HMTD

I seriously doubt that there is no more of the hadrazine left. Its flash point is so low, it probably disintergrated before it came even a mile from the ground.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics