About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-31, 04:54
J6103 J6103 is offline
Regular
 
Default Flour?

This is what I do for smoke bombs instead of kno2/sugar I do this.

My question is:In step 2 I say why this mix works. Is it correct or am I stupid.(there is little or no residue from this mix , so I assume it is correct)

1.Take 1/3 BP, 1/3sugar, 1/3 flour.

2.You may wonder why I told you to put flour in. The reson is simple:Flour burns when it is disipated in the air, right? Alluminum does that too. Alluminum is the fuel in FP. So, the flour add's more intensity to the reaction(becase bp has a oxidiser in it), making better somke, but you must mix it perfectly or the BP may shoot the flour up and ignite it.

3.Take a rocket casing or tube that is simalar, wrap duct tape (one peice) on the bottom.

4.Take some and pack it LIGHTLY, not hard or it wont work good(I reccomened you pack it with a pencil)

5.Put a heavy dutie fuse(cannon)and push it to the bottom(tape) if you cant, pour it out and put it in. than put the powder back in.

6.pack the top with tissue paper or a cleenex

Tada, you have a high density somke bomb that will actualy penetrate houses in non visable form. (ex:I light, and run inside, lock the door and watch. After, even though I did not go out at all,I am coughing from the somke and I never saw the smoke inside the house. Strange, isint it?)



[This message has been edited by J6103 (edited 01-31-2003).]
 #2 
Old 2003-01-31, 06:24
d1ng0 d1ng0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

Hmmm...

I never heard of using flour for smoke. That's interesting. From the way you posted it, I wouldn't compare it to how aluminum sensitizes energetic materials because I believe you're actually slowing down the BP's burn rate, not speeding it up. I base that on the part where you say ".....you must mix it perfectly or the BP may shoot the flour up and ignite it....."

The extra smoke is just coming from the flour burning.

JMHO

As a side note - When I was in high school taking film class, some friends and I made a science fiction movie for a project and had lots of exploding spaceships in it. We used flour bombs for the explosions (we were really big on Star Wars back then...). Looked pretty cool.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-31, 07:21
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

Through an accident melting KNO3/sucrose together, I found crisco mixed into it made it more difficult to light, but vastly increased smoke output. I'd experiment more with it, but I don't really care about makig smoke...
 #4 
Old 2003-01-31, 21:08
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

kno2? do you mean kno3?
http://www.geocities.com/tight_rappa2002/homepage.html
 #5 
Old 2003-02-01, 20:31
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

Crisco will burn alone, by the way. Smells pretty nasty when it does. So I'm sure it would increase smoke output. So would flour. So would just about anything that's flammable. I'm eventually going to get around to doing a test with small pieces of rubber in the 60/40 mix.
 #6 
Old 2003-02-01, 22:50
It burns It burns is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

Sorry but crisco? whats that?
 #7 
Old 2003-02-02, 00:25
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

It's this slimy white cooking stuff... I'm thinking vegitable shortening, but I dunno.
 #8 
Old 2003-02-02, 05:46
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

Kno3 oxidises the flour so it wount shoot into the air. I discoverd this when making new fuses. insted of kno3 and sugar i used flour made a glue and ran some yarn and cotton and stuff through there. It workd but nothing special..
 #9 
Old 2003-02-02, 05:59
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flour?

thats a good idea. I heard of people making end plugs using flour and water, and heard that they can be very hard and sturdy. Mix it with potassium nitrate, you got a good fuse core, or possibly a good rocket engine fuel. I might experiment a little.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics