About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-30, 18:20
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Unknown Powder

I went to mexico last friday, and i picked up some polumas. I emptyied a few, and since it looked and burned like cheap whistle powder in the open, i decided to make a whistler. I got about 1/2 teaspoon of it, and packed it into a really thin tube, no more than 1/32 inch thick. The plugs were really crappy, becuase all i did was pack tissue paper into each side. When it went off, it made a very loud boom. Does anyone have any idea what this powder could be? It is white(no crystals, so i dont think it could be AP) and it burned a little fast but very feircly in the open, and it doesnt cake when pressed. I am thinking it could be HMTD, but anyone else have ideas? Thanks for any help.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-30, 18:37
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

����Possibly some sort of sugar based flash powder. I severely doubt that the Mexicans are packing their fireworks with explosive peroxides.

~Zero
 #3 
Old 2002-12-30, 19:14
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

I went to mexico a while ago and I ate a burrito. I broke the number one rule in border towns, NEVER EAT FOOD IN MEXICO. Try to avoid the water too. That said, I don't really have enough info to make a determination to what this is, but it's probably just some sort of cheap flash.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-30, 19:31
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

Im never going to Mexico, I dont want a damn parasite in me sucking on my organs.... Hmmmm...
 #5 
Old 2002-12-30, 20:36
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

i only went no more than 5 miles from the cali border.

I do think it could be a peroxide, becuase i was packing it pretty tight, and there was very little confinment. It is hard to get a sugar based comp. to explode, and sugar easily cakes, and this powder didnt cake at all.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-30, 21:29
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

do you think they would put AP in polumnas? I think that's a little too dangerous.


PS- I was gone for a few days but I'M BACK
 #7 
Old 2002-12-30, 21:36
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

����Still. Why would they go through the effort of synthesizing a peroxide when flash powder takes less effort and can be stored for far longer.

~Zero
 #8 
Old 2002-12-30, 23:36
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

it for sure wasnt flash powder, becuase there werent any sparkles in the powder. All it was was a plain white powder, so that is why i asked.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-30, 23:51
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

I'm sure it's not something like AP also, they aren't that dumb...

Just from what you've said, I'd guess whistle (it needs to be packed pretty well, so if it was whistle, thats why it exploded instead of whilstling) or maybe chlorate/perchlorate and sugar.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-31, 00:23
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

i did pack it really tight, like whistle powder should. It could be chlorate and sugar, i forgot about that, but you usually shouldnt pack the powder for it to explode.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-31, 03:27
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

There are no 'sparkles' in my flash powder, it's a homogeneous mixture that explodes with a flash and almost no sparks.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-31, 08:43
scythe scythe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

i think he ment that the powder didn't have anything metallic in it therefor it wouldn't sparkle/shine/glint/reflect when light fell on it.


^scythe^
 #13 
Old 2002-12-31, 14:33
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

����High mesh flash powder doesn't really sparkle anyway. The metal particles are too small to be reflective to the naked eye, and the stuff is just plain grey if german or indian black aluminum powders are used.

~Zero
 #14 
Old 2002-12-31, 15:55
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

quote:
Originally posted by scythe:
i think he ment that the powder didn't have anything metallic in it therefor it wouldn't sparkle/shine/glint/reflect when light fell on it.


^scythe^



That's the whole 'homogeneous mixture' part of what I said. Homogeneous, in this case means the individual parts of the mixture are indistinguishable from one another.
 #15 
Old 2002-12-31, 21:37
OniOuji OniOuji is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

this reminds me of teh time i drank half a bottle of ketchup becuase i thought ti would taste good for some reason
 #16 
Old 2002-12-31, 22:03
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

quote:
Originally posted by OniOuji:
this reminds me of teh time i drank half a bottle of ketchup becuase i thought ti would taste good for some reason


what?
 #17 
Old 2003-01-01, 03:15
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

It DOES taste good. Maybe not half a bottle, but still.
 #18 
Old 2003-01-02, 13:37
Syko87 Syko87 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

quote:
Originally posted by DavidThePyro:
I went to mexico a while ago and I ate a burrito. I broke the number one rule in border towns, NEVER EAT FOOD IN MEXICO. Try to avoid the water too. That said, I don't really have enough info to make a determination to what this is, but it's probably just some sort of cheap flash.


Dick head

 #19 
Old 2003-01-02, 18:47
king vitamin king vitamin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

hey syko87 what is your problem? and what do you have against David?
 #20 
Old 2003-01-02, 19:21
Ion Ion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

Why do you give a shit? He's a dumbass, don't listen to him.
 #21 
Old 2003-01-02, 21:09
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Unknown Powder

Wait... me or syko? lol. He doesn't like me because he told me to fuck off and I got pissed... oh well, it's water under the bridge. I just won't care what syko says about me anymore, which should make for a nicer David.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics