About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-22, 21:56
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default The Propane Project

I have one of those green propane bottles that I want to destroy, hopefully making a fireball in the process. I have about 20 grams of AP to work with. I'd like suggestions on how I should do this. Should I use a shaped charge? Multiple charges? Homemade det-cord? How about just blowing the valve off?

When I actually decide to do it, I'll have video hopefully.

-= I have 500 posts =-

edit: weighed the ap at 20.3 grams

[This message has been edited by DavidThePyro (edited 12-22-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-12-22, 22:20
cooper cooper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

any HE would work, maybe a COB?
 #3 
Old 2002-12-22, 22:28
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

I dont know what is this green thing you speak of.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-22, 22:32
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

 #5 
Old 2002-12-22, 22:34
cooper cooper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

is that a CAP i see
 #6 
Old 2002-12-22, 22:38
Insomniac119 Insomniac119 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

Colman was smart when they made those really hard to break open for obvious reasons (us ). anyhow, they're hard to blow up, so I don't think only a cob would work, but AP might.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-22, 23:50
wolfhound wolfhound is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

A COB won't necessarily work, but try the AP in a metal container.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-23, 01:39
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

A conical shaped charge would probably make a hole and let the propane out over a few seconds, not that good for a fireball. Now if you made a linear shaped charge that wrapped all the way around it and split the thing in half, that would be a lot better! It would take more than 20g however.

Seems to me that butane or starter fluid (like Zero uses all the time) is a more effective way of making a fireball than trying to burst a propane tank...
 #9 
Old 2002-12-23, 02:18
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

I've always wanted to toss a propane bottle into the annual bonfire I go to, but I'm sure no one would appreciate getting cut by some shrapnel. The butane cans I can get are tiny and I don't really want to try with starter fluid. So I'll stick with propane. I did some research on shaped charges and I just might try a linear charge. Earlier today I made a new batch of AP which is drying now, and I detonated my 20 gram charge underground. It's too windy to make a fireball tonight, but the weather forecast tomorrow evening looks alrght so that's when I'll try.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-23, 04:13
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

Forcasting for pyro, I love it...

CTR
 #11 
Old 2002-12-26, 07:26
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

No way I'd forget about this little project. It was too windy on Monday and Tuesday, Wednsday I was at the Christmas party. So tomorrow I'll try. My AP's gettin old anyway. My plan is to use 4 linear shaped charges, each ~2.5" long, to cut a square off of the top of the bottle. The shaped charges are made from some 1/16" copper sheet I had lying around. The cone part is ~1/3" top to bottom, with a ~1/2" stand-off. I also will have a legnth of fuse burning about 6" from the top of the bottle, a bit to the side, to ensure ignition of the propane. Of course I'll have my video cam running and my personal cinema card is working, so you lucky people will get video! That is, if it isn't so fkng windy again.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-26, 14:14
-syko- -syko- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

I poured petrol all over one, they're diffrent over here, red things any how I don't recomend simply pouring petrol over em and lighting it. Bad idea, but still I enjoyed it.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-26, 20:18
TheLordOfTheBobs TheLordOfTheBobs is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

Hell, take a gun and shoot it from afar.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-26, 20:29
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

quote:
Originally posted by TheLordOfTheBobs:
Hell, take a gun and shoot it from afar.

Ive done it before, all it did was waste the gas. Didnt ignite any of it. Three different trys still no ignition.( three different cans of propane) It just makes it funnier to me now, when people get paranoid of somthing as little as throwing rocks at one.(ive seen it before)

 #15 
Old 2002-12-26, 21:27
TheLordOfTheBobs TheLordOfTheBobs is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

Well if the gun thing doesnt work, just throw it away in fire and run your ass off. No way it can fail.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-26, 22:09
Joesmokes911 Joesmokes911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

if you did this then you would have to use it immeditaly after:douse the can in something that is very flamable and will stick(PVC cement, lots of rubber cement, nail polish..etc.), light it on fire, and then shoot it from far away. the fire should ignite the stream of propane going out, then that will lead the fire inside the bottle and......------nice fireball
 #17 
Old 2002-12-27, 00:01
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

The shooting it thing would not work. It would just shoot out a stream of gas without igniting it. If you used sticky flammable stuff to ignite the gas, it would create a big stream of fire not a fireball. So I'm sticking with my shaped charges. But it is too fkng windy again tonight! And tomorrow I get to go on a little trip, which means no blowing up stuff. Actually I'll take my vicam and my explosives in case I get the chance.
 #18 
Old 2002-12-27, 01:46
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

I wouldn't take AP in the car. Nor would I use old AP.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-27, 03:30
Joesmokes911 Joesmokes911 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

Aechean has got a good point
 #20 
Old 2002-12-27, 04:24
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

(the following is a joke, do not flame me for it)

I'm going by plane, not car.

Anyway the AP is 4 days old today, which isn't THAT old. I think I might dissolve it in acetone to transport it to my site, then dry it out, load it into the shaped charge form, and use it. Sound good?
 #21 
Old 2002-12-27, 07:50
-syko- -syko- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

How about you just put petrol over it, light it, take a gun and shoot it whilst you stand next to it. Now fuck off.
 #22 
Old 2002-12-27, 07:52
-syko- -syko- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

quote:
Originally posted by DavidThePyro:
I have 500 post


Um, Like I give two fucking shits how many posts you or any other fucker has.
 #23 
Old 2002-12-27, 17:41
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

-syko- has gotten very negative lately...
 #24 
Old 2002-12-27, 18:13
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: The Propane Project

what i used to do is soak a rag in petrol and wrap it around he propane tank and light it then i would take the dirt bike we had on the farma nd go out a ways then i shot at it with my 30-30 and it burst a hole it it i have had a few that have exploded with a nice fireball and i have had afew with a nice big jet of flame ...
 #25 
Old 2002-12-27, 18:38
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Propane Project

-syko- you little motherfucker, you can take that entire propane can and shove it up your ass. FUCK OFF yourself. Little bastard. Thanks to copy/paste: FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR MOTHER.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics