About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:06
living4fear living4fear is offline
Regular
 
Default sodium

just curious what are ur favorite ways to make pure sodium without killing ur self?
 #2 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:14
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

There are tons of posts on this, search, you cant make it yourself,realy. Just steal some from school.

CTR
 #3 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:19
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

i HATE all these new people. HATE! THEY ARE DRIVING ALL OUR GOOD REGULARS AWAY!
 #4 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:32
living4fear living4fear is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

sorry for my ignorance on this subject moderators when u get time delete my sorry ass topic because i am a fucking moron that is overly inquisitive

sorry for wasting valuable time
 #5 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:36
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

There are two basic ways to make sodium, and they are more or less engineering problems other than anything else. I highly doubt anyone here has made thier own in substantial quantities.

My new cats name is sodium.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:42
themagmasher themagmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

Yes these new people are quite annoying although i suppose its better that they get the accurate advice rather than kill themselves. Well....

P.S Don't give me any shit about being new notice me being deemed a regular.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-20, 00:53
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

Hint: you are new, themagmasher. Not that that's a problem. Don't flame new people simply because they're new. They haven't yet gotten rid of Rat or Zero or 6C or EP or NickSG or DavidThePyro or *wince* warweed or boris and I'm sure there's a few I forgot.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-20, 01:05
themagmasher themagmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

I know, i was making an attempt at a joke.
But, like i said i think its better that people get accurate information from reliable members like the ones you mentioned rather than have them rely on the files in the KA-FUCKING BOOM section which we all know to have a few flaws. New members might be annoying, but they don't deserve to lose a hand for it.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-20, 01:09
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

what happened to primo. Also, monkeyman sometimes posts, and so does insomiac. Firewall needs to come here more.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-20, 01:20
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

Firewall think that we all hate him, primo is a retard, he is grounded from comp until he gets better grades. Not that his advice is worth anything, he think hes a pyro cuv he lights peices of paper in the street.

CTR
 #11 
Old 2002-12-20, 02:25
cooper cooper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

if you add cesium or rubidium to water...well you get a much bigger bang then with potassium or sodium,but you will have a problem finding these elements(i have no idea what the hell they are used for)
 #12 
Old 2002-12-20, 02:36
deadkennedy deadkennedy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

thegmaster or whatever your name is, I consider a regular someone with at least 500 posts.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-20, 02:38
cooper cooper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

ka-fucking-boom is the biggest load of crap
 #14 
Old 2002-12-20, 03:16
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

So what else is new?
 #15 
Old 2002-12-20, 03:47
wolfhound wolfhound is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

Well back to the topic, you can sodium from your school and other elements such as Cs might require a little help from someone with access to a chem supply plant.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-20, 16:20
Another Henry Another Henry is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

I have managed to make a (very) small amount of sodium by electrolysing lye.
I melted about 50g of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) in a dish over a stove, about 250 celsius melting point if I remember right. Then I put in two electrodes attached to a 12v lead/acid battery. I originally used graphite rods from pencils but they burnt up extremely quickly... stupid Henry, should have realised carbon would burn. Anyway just plain wires worked although they were eroded quickish. From leaving them in there for about 15 minutes one was noticably shinier than the other one, which was really really corroded. I took it out and waited for it to cool (probably a lot of sodium burnt off in the air then) before testing it by disconnecting from the battery and putting in water. It fizzed a little.

This experiment is really nastily dangerous and I don't recommend you do it. The yield in my case at least was tiny, and the molten lye would definitely cause very serious burns if you got it on your skin, blindness is a certainty if, goddess forbid, it goes in your eyes.

Good luck if you try it but it's probably far easier to get some by other means... maybe if you get an account with a chemical supplier you can order some? Sodium probably gets boring anyway after a while, go make some salutes or something.
 #17 
Old 2002-12-20, 20:49
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

I concider a true regular someone with 1000 post, 500 is respectible also. Really Na is pretty boring for all the efort you go through.

CTR
 #18 
Old 2002-12-20, 21:14
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

You're just saying that because you have 1000+ posts...

Oh, and you are not going to get rubidium or cesium. Actually, if you have a spare atomic clock in your garage you could break it open and get some cesium.

[This message has been edited by DavidThePyro (edited 12-20-2002).]
 #19 
Old 2002-12-20, 21:20
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

quote:
Originally posted by Genital-Warfare:
Firewall think that we all hate him, primo is a retard, he is grounded from comp until he gets better grades. Not that his advice is worth anything, he think hes a pyro cuv he lights peices of paper in the street.

CTR




1) Fuck you
2) Fuck your mother, your father, your brother and whoever else you deem appropriate
3) I dont light paper in the street, when have I done that in recent times?
4) I'm not A retard I get great grades on my tests, it's just I dont like homework so I dont do it
5) I'm planning on making at least AP when my parents leave town which should be during winter break.
5) The only reason I havent made It yet is one of my parents always seems to be around and since they threatend me with therapy/counseling for propane balloons and hair spray blowtorches I dont think HEs would be a great idea.

 #20 
Old 2002-12-22, 00:24
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

damn this post went to the bottom fast
 #21 
Old 2002-12-22, 01:02
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

Not last time i was down but the time before that, you said youd make stuff better than smoke mix when you got chems,

We walked like 2 miles to home depot for the chems you wanted, instaed you bought a bottle of hairspray.

As soon as i get a bit of that calcium carbide i'll have made 4 he's so beat that...

CTR
 #22 
Old 2002-12-22, 03:13
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

How about a real regular being here for over a year.
 #23 
Old 2002-12-22, 03:17
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

quote:
Originally posted by Aechean:
How about a real regular being here for over a year.


No, cuz that say nothing about how much info he/she donates to the rest of us.

CTR
 #24 
Old 2002-12-22, 04:43
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

How about people stop arguing? Increase the peace!

I don't remember exactly where, but I seem to remember somebody on rec.pyrotechnics saying they knew a guy that would sell pure sodium by the pound and to email him the other guy was interested. I guess if you really want pure Na, you could look for that thread and try emailing the guy...
 #25 
Old 2002-12-22, 05:25
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: sodium

"i'll have made 4 he's so beat that..."
I'm at 4 right now: trinitrophenol, nitrocellulose, AP, and HMTD. If I can get some more acid, I'll make mercury or silver fulminate, and maybe nitroglycerin. Eventually, I'll get around to making a tiny bit or NI3 to play with, too. That's the future, though...
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics