About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:58
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default 10 HE's

Over break i want to make 10 he's, what should they be?

1.AgCNO
2.NI3
3.AP
4.HTMD
5.MEKP
6.TNP
7.?
8.?
9.?
10.?

CTR
 #2 
Old 2002-12-16, 02:00
d1pstick d1pstick is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

How about PETN?

And while I'm at it... what's MEKP?
 #3 
Old 2002-12-16, 02:02
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

do they have to be primary? Silver fulimate, potassium fulimate, nitroglycerine, TNT, C1(2,3,4,5 whatever), ANFO, i can really think of anything else right now. Also, MEKP is a primary explosive. I dont know what it stands for though.
 #4 
Old 2002-12-16, 02:15
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

quote:
Originally posted by NickSG:
do they have to be primary? Silver fulimate, potassium fulimate, nitroglycerine, TNT, C1(2,3,4,5 whatever), ANFO, i can really think of anything else right now. Also, MEKP is a primary explosive. I dont know what it stands for though.


Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide I believe
 #5 
Old 2002-12-16, 02:38
wolfhound wolfhound is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

AgCNO is silver cyanate and AgOCN is silver fulminate - which do you mean?
 #6 
Old 2002-12-16, 02:40
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

im guessing fulmate because thats what he brought over to my house to day
 #7 
Old 2002-12-16, 03:35
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

quote:
Originally posted by wolfhound:
AgCNO is silver cyanate and AgOCN is silver fulminate - which do you mean?

My bad its silver fulminate, i thought i sounded alot like cyanide.

MEKP is an organic peroxide like AP or HTMD.

CTR
 #8 
Old 2002-12-16, 04:10
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Well there are like a hundred in mega's site, so have at it. By the way, today I made a batch of TNP. This time I didn't spill any hot acid all over myself, so that's good. Anyway, it was pretty uneventful and that's a good thing. I have about 5 grams of it now with about another 5 still precipitating out. Any suggestions on how I should detonate it? I'm thinking a couple grams of AP.

And while you're at it, you could make other metal fulminates and compare them.

[This message has been edited by DavidThePyro (edited 12-16-2002).]
 #9 
Old 2002-12-16, 04:38
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

I just ordered some glassware and thermometers, so as long as they come soon enough I'll make AP and MEKP over break. Next after that will be HMTD and then probably NG...

edit: and of course some AN based stuff

My other chems should be here in a couple days also, so I should be busy!

[This message has been edited by EP (edited 12-16-2002).]
 #10 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:13
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

well, soon, when I get some chemicals (still need some money), I am making silver fulminate, AP and maybe nitrogen triiodide.


EDIT: This is what I am going to make, actually. I have also made a list chemicals that I need for these.

sulphuric acid- $7.00
nitric acid- $?.??
ammonia- $10.00
acetone $6.00
1 gram of silver- $?.??
pottassium nitrate- $?.??
---------------------------------------------

Things to make:

trinitrophenol (TNO)
acetone peroxide
nitrogen triiodide
silver fulminate

[This message has been edited by DeusExMachina (edited 12-16-2002).]
 #11 
Old 2002-12-16, 23:47
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Today i made two grams of Silver fulminate, i think, having never made or seen pics of it before its hard to tell. I got a white precipitate that looks similar to Ap, is this silver fulminate?

CTR
 #12 
Old 2002-12-16, 23:48
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

This looks good...

From http://www.flashbangboom.homestead.com/procedures.html

+++

6) Hexamethylenetetramine Dinitrate (no HNO3 needed)

I don't have much information on this explosive at the moment, but I'll keep looking... I think I heard that VoD was around 6000-7000 m/s, with a lead block expansion of 220 cm3, but I can't remember. I will find out. It is a similar sort of explosive to Urea Nitrate and M.M.A.N., i.e. it is a nitrate salt.

You will need:

5g of hexamethylenetetramine,
65mL of 15% hydrochloric acid,
10g of ammonium nitrate,
A 150mL beaker,
A filter funnel,
A filter paper,
A glass rod,
A fridge.

1) Pour the hydrochloric acid into the beaker and add the ammonium nitrate.
2) Stir the solution with the glass rod until all the ammonium nitrate has dissolved.
3) Cool the solution to 5*C in the fridge.
4) Add the hexamethylenetetramine. Stir it with the glass rod until it has all dissolved. A white crystalline precipitate should form.
5) Quickly filter out the precipitate.
6) Leave it in a warm, dry place to dry fully.

+++

edit: the HNO3 method gives MUCH better yields.... (too bad I don't have any...)

From: http://www.flashbangboom.homestead.com/yields_etc.html

+++

6) Hexamethylenetetramine Dinitrate

6) Yield, based on the amount of hexamethylenetetramine used:

Amount of hexamethylenetetramine used: 5 grams.
Theoretical yield: 9.5 grams.
Experimental yield: 3.1 grams.
Percentage yield: 32.6%

Cost for the amount of explosive made in my experiment:

Hexamethylenetetramine: �0.07
Hydrochloric acid: �0.10
Ammonium nitrate: �0.01

Total: �0.18
Cost for 100 grams of explosive: �5.81

6)a) Yield, based on the amount of hexamethylenetetramine used:

Amount of hexamethylenetetramine used: 14 grams.
Theoretical yield: 26.6 grams.
Experimental yield: 23.4 grams.
Percentage yield: 88.0%

Cost for the amount of explosive made in my experiment:

Hexamethylenetetramine: �0.20
Nitric acid: �0.13
Acetone: negligable since it can be re-used many times.

Total: �0.33
Cost for 100 grams of explosive: �1.41

Possible improvements:

This is much better! One way it could be improved is by using the liquid left over from one batch to dissolve the hexamethylenetetramine in the next batch. This will improve yields since this liquid already contains significant amounts of the product, so not as much will dissolve in it the next time.

+++

[This message has been edited by EP (edited 12-16-2002).]
 #13 
Old 2002-12-17, 11:15
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

genital warefare, could you take pictures of your silver fulminate if you havn't used it yet?
 #14 
Old 2002-12-17, 20:43
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Yeah, i took some and ill take more, my digital camera is gay cuz my comp doesnt regoginize the memory stick. I cant dry it cuzs its raining but when i do ill take pics. I went over the rest on the post by rat about silver acitate i cant remeber what it was called.

Oh yeah it will stain your hands light purple.

CTR
 #15 
Old 2002-12-17, 22:22
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

1. Nitrosucrose
2. Nitrostarch
3. Trinitrotoluene maybe. TNT
4. NG/EGDN
5. Trinitroxylene maybe. TNX
6. Nitrocellulose
7. Nitromannitol?
8. TeNN tetranitronapthelene
9. Chlorates (electrolysis).
10. Lots of mixtures! ANNM, APAN, AlAN, KClO4/NM, KClO3/MNT, KClO3/DNT, AN/MNN/C. Tons!
 #16 
Old 2002-12-17, 22:30
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Ok im thinking

NC, silver acitate (what rat made i forgot the name) abnd 2 more still unkown. No mixtures.

CTR
 #17 
Old 2002-12-18, 05:39
anemic slug anemic slug is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Gelagnite maybe. or is that the same as TNT??? i cnat remember from my last post but i htink it is a bit different i think my uncle told me once when we were using it.
 #18 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:37
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

sorry for my off topic question but can I use acetylsalicylic acid for making acetone peroxide? I couldn't buy an acid today when I got my acetone so I have no choice but to make it myself now.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-19, 00:35
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

I think you should yous somthing else like boiled down vinegar, the acid you named was asprins ingrediant right? You dont even need the acid it will just take "forever" any acid will do.

CTR
 #20 
Old 2002-12-19, 15:23
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

the only acid that I have is the draino with sodium hydroxide and that won't work.

EDIT: can someone please tell me where to get nitric acid? I live in toronto and I need a place where I can get it. Maybe in something that you can buy from the hardware store just like how sulfuric acid is found in some drain openers. I would also like to know if the nitric acid in something that I can buy from the hardware store (if there is something) is strong enough for makinf silver fulminate. I am also going to forget about nitrogen triiodide because I am scared of it detonating in my house.

[This message has been edited by DeusExMachina (edited 12-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by DeusExMachina (edited 12-19-2002).]
 #21 
Old 2002-12-19, 21:00
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

ASA is not a very strong acid. Some got in my eye once and it didn't burn like sulfuric or nitric would have (which is a really good thing), and now I wear saftey glasses whenever I do ANYthing. Acetic acid isn't strong either, and vinegar is only 3-5%. Acetic acid has a boiling point of 118*C, so you could probably concentrate it by boiling off the water very gently. I don't know if it would work even in concentrated form, though. By the way, concentrated acetic acid is known as glacial acetic acid. The term glacial only applies to acetic acid, though.
 #22 
Old 2002-12-19, 21:20
Smokey the Bear Smokey the Bear is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Common myth: "catalysts accelerate reactions and nothing else". They generally are required for a reaction to proceed at all.

For you to make acetone peroxide without a strong mineral acid, you will have to be willing to wait (and capable, of course) 1,000,000,000 years.

Trinitroxylene has too negative of an oxygen balance to be of worth as the sole component of a secondary high explosive charge.
 #23 
Old 2002-12-19, 21:24
Smokey the Bear Smokey the Bear is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

wolf-something, I think you have it reversed.

__ represents a triple bond.

Cyanate:
[O-]--C__N

Fulminate:
[C-]__[N+]--[O-]


At least that's what I predict the structures to be.
 #24 
Old 2002-12-19, 22:15
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Nice to cya back smokey, yep that seem right to me and mega, and glacial aplies only to anhydrous acetic acid.

CTR
 #25 
Old 2002-12-19, 22:50
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Sodium hydroxide is not an acid.

TNX is explosive by itself though. Its weak and best mixed with chlorates.
 #26 
Old 2002-12-20, 18:51
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

well, I am going to try making ASA for my AP soon. Over the holidays, I'm going to try to make a few things.

and dave, I'm glad that nothing happened to your eye(s) but don't forget your eye protection. This may be off topic again but what is the lowest concentration of nitric acid I can use for silver fulminate?
 #27 
Old 2002-12-20, 20:13
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

quote:
Originally posted by DeusExMachina:
This may be off topic again but what is the lowest concentration of nitric acid I can use for silver fulminate?
Its on topic enough, When i used my acid i didnt even know the concentration, just add in silver heat and the reaction should start after about 5 minutes or so the nitric acid should be blue, if its blue your all good. Also add the hot nitric acid to cold alcohal for best results.

CTR

 #28 
Old 2002-12-21, 02:34
Smokey the Bear Smokey the Bear is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

What I've heard about trinitroxylene is that it's plagued with incomplete detonations.
 #29 
Old 2002-12-21, 21:35
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Darn i want to make silver acilate and coper fulminate, and i only have the hno for one.

CTR
 #30 
Old 2002-12-22, 00:10
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

genital, where did you get your nitric acid? I have no idea where to get it.
 #31 
Old 2002-12-22, 01:05
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

I've told you like 4 times, i got it at a jewlry suply store, but its ok the post get lost easily.

CTR
 #32 
Old 2002-12-22, 01:51
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

lol...sorry... I never knew I asked before. I've always searched and never found anything. Do the jewlers ask anything? like age or why you want it? or you just go up to them and ask them for nitric acid and they sell it to you
 #33 
Old 2002-12-22, 03:15
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Um it was in downtown LA, i walked and as usual i started reading lables on suspicous items, at first i was looking at oxydizers,then i saw these small bottles of gold testers and i remeberd it from what ep said, i read the lable it said "caution contain nitric acid"; I was doughtful of any puritie, but i was like what the hell its only 2 bucks so i bought it, droped a couple drops on a penny and i saw it was above 50% concentration. Im not sure how it will be to find it in canada but they wont ask for id, in la they are desprate to make sales they never said anything but two dolla.

CTR
 #34 
Old 2002-12-22, 05:31
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

If you're desparate, you can always just use H2SO4 and (something)nitrate to nitrate things.
 #35 
Old 2002-12-22, 05:38
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: 10 HE's

Thats what im doing for picric acid and nc.

CTR
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics