About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-16, 00:42
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Flash Powder

I tried to make some flash powder using 70% potassium perchlorate and 30% aluminum powder. The aluminum powder I used was called 400 mesh atomized. I can't get the shit to light, even if I use a fuse or seed it with black powder. Can anyone tell me why?
 #2 
Old 2002-12-16, 00:53
Insomniac119 Insomniac119 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Wow that is strange. Where did you get the aluminum powder?
 #3 
Old 2002-12-16, 00:57
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

I got it from www.pyrotek.org
 #4 
Old 2002-12-16, 00:59
Ion Ion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Why didn't you just get 600 mesh german dark?
 #5 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:00
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

dont buy the atomized anymore. Get the flake, but i am not sure if the have it in 400 mesh. I do know they have it in 425. I would just go ahead and buy the german dark, becuase for a really strange reason, it is cheaper than the 425 mesh.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:05
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

It's my first time making the stuff and the 400 atomized was cheaper than the German dark. I guess it's going to end up costing me more money anyway since I'm going to have to get the German dark after all...
 #7 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:07
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

would you happen to know anyone named Amber Brown? Anyways, you could resell the 400atomized if you wanted to. Even 400 atomized, i would still expect it to at least ignite.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:15
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Yes, I do know someone named Amber Brown. What's your name? Do you know some one named Peewee?
 #9 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:21
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

On second thought, don't post your name...I wouldn't post mine on this website.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:22
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

how old is she??? I out in KCMO, and if you are talking about over here, i cant remember right now, i went to a hot box party last night.

My name is Nick, look at my name here.

[This message has been edited by NickSG (edited 12-16-2002).]
 #11 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:30
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

She's 19 and has lived in Portal, Ga her whole life, but she has a good friend from Missouri.

By the way, my screen name is Big Daddy, but that's not generally what I go by.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:32
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

god damnit. My ex-girlfriend is Amber Brown, she is 16, but her and 2 of her freinds ran away to some place in Gorgia. I am still lookin for her little bitch ass.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:46
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Sorry I couldn't help...

Back to the topic at hand, I would still like any logical explanation as to the failure of my flash powder. When I tried to cover it with black powder to light it, the aluminum melted and formed a hard crust. I don't know if that means anything, or what.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-16, 01:57
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

i have no idea. Did you measure by weight or volume.
 #15 
Old 2002-12-16, 02:09
BigPapa21 BigPapa21 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

I measured by weight. Is there any way I can test the KClO4 to see if that's the problem? What proportions should I use to mix it with sugar?
 #16 
Old 2002-12-16, 04:02
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Well you could figure out the actual chemical reaction that happens when you ignite that mixture to get optimum results, OR you could just mess around with the ratios. I would start with a high fuel content, simply because fuel (sugar in this case) is probably cheaper.

In short: try 1:1.5 KClO4:sugar
 #17 
Old 2002-12-16, 04:42
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

How did you make the flash powder?
 #18 
Old 2002-12-16, 04:45
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Atomized is tiny round balls and flake is tiny flakes (obviously...). Flake has much greater surface area, making it much easier to ignite. So basically, you blew it. Next time do more reading before you go spending your money...

Here's what you need to do: Buy dark flake aluminum. Measure by weight. It'll work. Now that you have this atomized, you can mix it a bit with your flake (maybe 25% or so) to use it up, but not too much or it won't light easily and won't work as well.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:03
Insomniac119 Insomniac119 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

is there anywhere I could get aluminum powder other then in online shops like?
 #20 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:09
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

You could get around 400 mesh by ball milling alumnium foil for several hours.
 #21 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:19
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

You can always mill some aluminum. If you have a mill, try milling your atomized aluminum. Might make it into flake. If not, maybe hammering?

Try 1/1 KClO3/sugar on the flash. Or try a sparkler fuse.

 #22 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:39
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

yeah, ball milling atomized will make it flake, and a little giner also. I heard that you can buy 400 mesh aluminum powder at auto shops, it stops leaking of something, i am not sure.
 #23 
Old 2002-12-16, 23:58
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

You can also get around 400 mesh by puting a ball of foil in a juiceman jucier.

CTR
 #24 
Old 2002-12-17, 00:13
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

like a blender? I tried a blender with aluminum foil, and after 10 minutes, i got maybe 100 mesh aluminum. I am not trying it longer, becuase i do not want to burn it.
 #25 
Old 2002-12-17, 20:36
Insomniac119 Insomniac119 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Wtf is a juiceman juicer? I have an old blender though, that will have to work sence i don't have a ball mill yet.
 #26 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:05
bleedingme bleedingme is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

quote:
Originally posted by NickSG:
yeah, ball milling atomized will make it flake, and a little giner also. I heard that you can buy 400 mesh aluminum powder at auto shops, it stops leaking of something, i am not sure.


I think you are talking about a compound you pour in your gastank and after driving around for a while it will burn carbon off your valves. Not sure if it is the same thing though.
 #27 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:18
themagmasher themagmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

My dad wants me to ask this question if i want my ball mill in my room. So here it goes. I was just wondering if the heardened lead-antimonomy balls or whatever the balls are that they sell on UN will slowly grind down over time if i leave my ball mill on for a long time. I don't really want to breathe in lead dust or ingest any for that matter.
 #28 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:29
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

no, they dont grind down, becuase they are mixed with antonimy.
 #29 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:34
themagmasher themagmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

what about the lead shot at my local gun shop, would that if it wasn't mixed with antinomy. Wow, this is a fucking stupid ass post that's just going to waste everyone's time. I'm guessing i already know the answer.
 #30 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:40
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

����Not at a rate that is even remotely harmful.
����First off, if your ball mill is properly constructed it will be well sealed enough that no powder of any sort will esacpe. If not, lead is the least of your worries as the material you are trying to mill will spill out. Also, lead's natural properties do not lend to powdering. Lead is soft and tends to mash or deform instead of grinding into a powder like more brittle material.

~Zero
 #31 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:41
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

yeah, it works pretty good. It might dent in a few places, but will not powder into a dust.
 #32 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:46
themagmasher themagmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Thanks, i'm sure my lortone tumbler will be fine. (I would insert a smiley face here but i don't have a fuckin clue how and don't really care)
 #33 
Old 2002-12-18, 23:51
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

I strongly suggest you run that ball mill someplace other than in your house...
 #34 
Old 2002-12-19, 00:16
themagmasher themagmasher is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

Probably, i don't want another another .... incident. The cardboard tube mortar thing is still fresh in my mind. What can i say, i don't learn easily.
 #35 
Old 2002-12-19, 00:43
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash Powder

All you do to get a smile face is click on the thing that says smiles legend of the left side of where you type... dont run the ball mill in your house as i can explode, ask zero.

CTR
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics