|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-12-15, 03:34
|
DavidThePyro 
Regular
|
|
|
|
ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
This thread shall be devoted to accidents and near-misses. Post any accidents or near accidents you see or experiance here! You learn from your mistakes, and if you share those mistakes, we all can learn from them.
|
|
#2
 2002-12-15, 03:47
|
devoiced 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
i hate that term "near miss" if you think about it it means the complete opposite of what its supposed to. as for accidents i havent had any yet 
|
|
#3
 2002-12-15, 03:52
|
DavidThePyro 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
Today I was concetrating sulfuric acid on my camping stove outside. I had planned to make some trinitrophenol, but since this is the ANAR thread, that didn't happen. Anyway, back to the story. I had turned off the flame, and since it was kind of precariously perched over the burner, I grabbed my pot-holders and picked up the acid in the beaker. It was still hot as hell, so I was just going to put it down to cool off. I just picked it up when it kind of slipped. It splashed everywhere. It was on my pants, my shoes, and my stove. I immediatly got my pot-holders off my hands and dropped my pants (hey it was dark outside). I called inside that there was an emergency. After that, I booked on over to the shower. Now I have a greyish spot on my hand and my knee where the acid burned through my gloves and pants.
So the moral is ALWAYS use ALL saftey equipment that you can. I probably owe my eyesight to the saftey glasses I was wearing.
|
|
#4
 2002-12-15, 03:59
|
Monkeyman666 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
------#1.It was last year, about springtime. I was mixing up about a 1/2 lb. of smoke mix (Kno3/su) on the stove. ------Same temp as always, same ratios as always, but since it was a bigger mix, I used a coffee can, instead of a half a pop can, because there was so much more. ------Right at the begginning stages of melting it lit up. A half a pound of smoke mix...right in my house. It splattered all over. Burnt the counter top, the floor, and above the stove, because it was a fast burning mixture. (4 sugar/6 kno3) Dont ask, I had alot of kno3 ot play with. ------On top of everything else I had to go out to my frantic neighbor, and tell him it was one of my expiriments gone wrong(He too enjoys the same hobby at 38), and that the house wasnt on fire.
------#2.My friend got into my stash. Myself not knowing this. First you need to understand this is one of my friends who just likes the booms and doesnt care to learn about anything, or make anything himself. ------My friend took a cratermaker(during the fourth), and I didnt know how many I had so I didnt realize anything was up until I heard a boom, and then a loud yell. ------He lit one of my crater makers, and luckily was smart enought to run. A piece of shrapnel hit him in the back, had he not been turned in the opposite direction, it would have hit him in the heart area. ------We pulled the shrapnel out, cleaned his wound daily until it healed, and told noone of it....until now. Edit: sorry my damn tab does not work.
[This message has been edited by Monkeyman666 (edited 12-15-2002).]
|
|
#5
 2002-12-15, 04:06
|
devoiced 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
ha about the worst accident i have ever had was either when i lit this large chinese salute ( it was disected from a strand that had 300 little firecrackers and about 8 of these 5 inch crackers so it had a paper wick ) and it blew up like a foot infront of my face and i couldnt hear for awile or when i got a second degree burn from a bottle rocket.
|
|
#6
 2002-12-15, 04:12
|
wolfhound 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
hehe near miss - form george carlin - "why do they call plane collisions near misses? Is it b/c you say oh they nearly missed?" Well anyways back to the topic, thankfully i've never had any accidents. My friend once had a bottle rocket explode in his face. Make sure to keep away when things are blowing up.
|
|
#7
 2002-12-15, 04:15
|
devoiced 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
ha wolfhound george carlin is god. ive had a bottlerocket hit the side of my nose, i guess you could say the bottle rocket and my eye had a "near miss"
|
|
#8
 2002-12-15, 14:52
|
d1pstick 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
I recieved a small sulfuric acid burn on my arm while making AP. There was some on the bottle, and my neoprene glove brushed it. The glove then rubbed the acid on my arm. I washed my arm and both of my gloves with baking soda, but it still left a mark that looks something like a contorted exclamation mark.
|
|
#9
 2002-12-15, 16:04
|
DavidThePyro 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
And a little good news for me: I got a nice big chemical apron now, so that won't happen again.
|
|
#10
 2002-12-15, 18:57
|
themagmasher 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
I shot a home made mortar filled with bottle rockets out of my room's window and i mis-measured how much black powder i put in. It went boom in my face and severly burned my right arm. The moral- don't overestimate the containment power of a paper towel tube wrapped in duct tape. I've wised up a bit since then. Well, not really.
|
|
#11
 2002-12-15, 19:47
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
����I'd say a better moral is "don't light things off inside"...
~Zero
|
|
#12
 2002-12-15, 19:54
|
devoiced 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
yeah that would be the smart thing to do
|
|
#13
 2002-12-15, 22:33
|
piggarro99 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
My first rocket fuel batch 35\65 sucrose to kno3
Went off in my face and hand
|
|
#14
 2002-12-16, 00:10
|
static_firefly 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
Lit a small amount of ap and had it blow up in my face... Had a rocket explode in teh bush and nearly start a bush fire.... Picked up a triangle and have the fuse ignight again. Lucky the thing rocketed out of my hand and then exploded...
|
|
#15
 2002-12-16, 01:41
|
BigPapa21 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
My first explosive mishap ocurred in the fifth grade with a pvc pipe bomb. The bomb went off successfully, but the fuse ignited some dry grass which ended up torching two acres of forest before the fire department showed up. Whoops.
|
|
#16
 2002-12-16, 01:52
|
letsnukechina 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
a near miss? me and my friends were exploring the mysteries of junk yards (the kind with all the fucked up cars), when we stumbled upon a large pile of car batteries. We wasted no time in siphoning what gas was still in the tank of a wrecked chevy, dousing the car batteries with it, leaving a match nearby, and getting behind that chevy before it blew. A piece of metal embedded itself in the hood of of the car that i was peeking over. If it had been flying just a bit higher, it would of hit me right beetween the eyes. I havent learned a thing exept to get better cover whn you blow something up.
|
|
#17
 2002-12-16, 01:55
|
Genital-Warfare 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
Had a cup of NaNO3 sugar rocket fuel light as i was boiling it i was seeing yellow for 5 miutes. I have gotton nitric acid on my hands as i made my first batch AgCNO.
CTR
|
|
#18
 2002-12-16, 06:38
|
tryptamine 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
Friend bumped me and I dumped a film canister of smokeless powder on a candle and burned almost all the hair off my face and forehead.
Runaway chlorination, I got half a lungful of gas and spent a few hours hoping my lungs wouldn't fill up with fluid.
Cleaning glassware with 98% sulphuric and acetone while wearing no shirt. The residual acetone boiled as I dumped in some acid. It sprayed conc. acid out the flask neck and all over me and my bathroom. I got it all over my face/chest and arms. Luckily The shower was right there. I jumped in and rinsed for a good 45 minutes and I got some red marks on my face, etc and only a few permanent scars on my arm where it are these big holes clean through the skin in mere seconds.
I lit off some old AP unconfined using a butane lighter (the kind with about a 5 inch tip)
Numerous times playing with burning solvents as a young child.
Yeah it's the price of experience.
|
|
#19
 2002-12-16, 14:19
|
insertnamehere 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
My worst wasnt really that bad. I was in a hotel in austria and tried lighting a bottle rocket right in my hand. The thing exploded and it hurt quite a bit.
|
|
#20
 2002-12-16, 15:56
|
a1b2c3 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
That isn't much, but for me it was when a dry ice pressure bomb I had exploded right in front of me and I actually saw the bottle cap flying into the sky. I was so lucky I only got a few minor injuries from the plastic shrapnel, thank God I didn't use a Hydrochloric acid/tin foil pressure bomb.
|
|
#21
 2002-12-16, 22:40
|
Aechean 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
I needed to get my rocket propellant pliable again. I microwaved it and with one second left it started to fizzle. In about two seconds I had it out (the sink is close by). Not really anything bad, except and easily cleaned black smudge.
Zero, your ball mill accident?
|
|
#22
 2002-12-16, 22:49
|
EP 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
I've never had a bad accident, but there's still plenty of time to try!  Probably the worst accident I've had was holding some fuse with pliers out the window and lighting it. Then I brought the pliers back inside and a tiny little spark still on it fell into a container of powder (lucky for me there wasn't much in it). Filled the room with smoke, but no serious damage or injuries. Moral of story: Keep lids on things, be careful with things that are, or recently were, on fire.
|
|
#23
 2002-12-17, 02:21
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
����The ball mill blowing up didn't hurt anyone or anything except the mill itself. I suppose it counts. ����I had an entire string of lady finger firecrackers go off in my hand once. It hurt like the devil but no harm done.
~Zero
|
|
#24
 2002-12-17, 03:49
|
deadkennedy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: ANAR - Accident and Near Accident Report thread.
Back when I really was a big time kewl, ( ok, maybe I still am a kewl, but so what) I had this c02 bomb. I made some other fucked up fuse contraption. Anyways, this construction truck came down this old beaten path, ( we were having a fire earlier), It like got kinda close and as we were running, what idiots we were we ran like over top of the c02 bomb. I just got over it when it went off. I got a bit of shrapnel in my ass. Good thing it wasn't too deap or it would still be in there.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|