About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-10, 19:42
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Recharging Road Flares

����As I sit here pinching my pennies I decided to share some of my secrets with you all. I suppose this isn't really a 'secret' per se, as it's actually rather obvious. But you're in for the duration anyway.
����Doubt not that road flares are useful. Not only for keeping people from running over your poor broken down Chevy Cavalier but for large scale fuse lighting, starting fires, signaling, and so on. The trouble with road flares is you need to buy them, and in the twisted commercial tradition it's cheaper to buy them than make your own.
����You can get 'em for free, though. Half spent flares are very frequently found lying on the side of heavily traveled roads, particularly are large intersections and such. Motorists in their Ford Excursions by making snap righthand turns without their signals aginst opposing traffic and before you know it there's busted glass and road flares all over the place. Once said yuppies get their cars towed, though, they put out their flares and nine times out of ten just leave them there. I frequently find 30 minute flares that are only a fifth burned or less. Sometimes you find little stubs, sometimes you find half or three-fourths a flare. In any event, pick them all up.
����The material inside road flares (stronium nitrate and sawdust, I imagine) is resilent stuff. It's stable and doesn't degrade in cold, sun, or moisture. Ratty old flares you find on the side of the road usually still work. The only problem is the stuff is a certifiable bitch to light.
����Once you have found a flare of reasonable size (or emptied the contents of a bunch of stubs into a tube), all you need to do is prepare a primer for it. The way I do it is simple: The next time you make a batch of sugar nitrate smokebombs, simply pack a glob of smoke material into the end of the flare and sink four or five match heads into it. Presto: Strike the matches on a flare cap or a matchbook and they light the smoke mixture, which can easily ignite the flare itself.
����If you can't be bothered to melt the smoke mixture just pack a few spoonfuls into the end of the flare a tight as you can and seal off the end with tape. You can light the flare with a simple match or lighter after you do this.
����If your flares are damp, fret not - Simply toss them in the 'fridge overnight. They'll be dry in the morning.
����So there you go. Something for nothing.

~Zero
 #2 
Old 2002-12-10, 20:30
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

good shit zero keep up the good work


just wondering what is your first name ? i often wonder bout that kind of shit ... plus i know you really like to remain annoyomous but i dunno theres got to be something you tell us about yourself that we don't allready know
 #3 
Old 2002-12-10, 22:38
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

Road flares dont even exist here. The only reason people have flairs is for going out side (in the ocean)and they are these smokey bright yet expensive things. And EPIRBS but there not much use
 #4 
Old 2002-12-10, 23:03
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

Heh I used to use road flares for my stars when I first started...
 #5 
Old 2002-12-11, 00:42
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

����No road flares? Do they even let you drive cars where you live?

~Zero
 #6 
Old 2002-12-11, 01:06
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

they are pretty expensive here. They are 5 dollars for a pack of 3.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-11, 02:48
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

I've never seen any flares anywhere except in my car emergency kit.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-11, 06:58
JollyLenox JollyLenox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

Thanks a lot!! I was wondering what type of primer i could use to start those damn road flares. They're a bitch to lite.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-11, 07:05
insertnamehere insertnamehere is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

zero explained how to light them.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-11, 07:10
anemic slug anemic slug is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

ehhehe EPIRB's those things are so cool. Once at night we wlaked along the beacha dn went in 2 all the moored boats and took the epirbs and set em all off in town. it was funny.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-11, 08:40
anemic slug anemic slug is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

any ways why dont you collect heaps of road flares, take out all that shit and pack it in a massive pipe and make one big ol bitch of a flare??? is that possible or not i dunno. we dont get road flares here unless you are a worker fixing the roads and shit. you can buy them for boats but they cost like fucking heaps.
 #12 
Old 2002-12-11, 08:51
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

You can always light them with a propane or mapp torch...
 #13 
Old 2002-12-11, 11:14
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

����I did that with a carpet tube once. I packed the stuff as hard as I could. It burned for a good seven hours with a large and impressive flame.

~Zero
 #14 
Old 2002-12-11, 18:07
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

quote:
Originally posted by Zero the Inestimable:
����I did that with a carpet tube once. I packed the stuff as hard as I could. It burned for a good seven hours with a large and impressive flame.

~Zero



When I finish paying my debts and start getting money I may try that...
 #15 
Old 2002-12-11, 19:12
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

����I didn't pay a thing for it. All the material was taken from flares I found on the ground.

~Zero
 #16 
Old 2002-12-11, 21:31
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

That would get a little boring after the first couple hours!

I get flares at the car parts store in case people are wondering where to buy them seperately. I use them for lighting shells...

 #17 
Old 2002-12-11, 22:26
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

����Indeed. Flares make very short work of all kinds of fuse. I use them for my 4th of july and new year's displays for fuse lighting myself.

~Zero
 #18 
Old 2002-12-11, 22:35
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

I dont understand why some one would need road flairs anyway ( for driving i mean ). Just turn the bloody hazard lights on!. And any one that travels out remote is ment to carry an EPRIB i think, save many a lives and a damn lot effictive then a flaming stick..........

But i would like to play with them
 #19 
Old 2002-12-11, 22:52
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

what if you are in trouble becuase your battery is dead. Plus, road flares would be better, in case you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, and you dont have anything else to start a fire to keep you warmunless it is warm where you live) or cook food.
 #20 
Old 2002-12-12, 00:23
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

����Three major motivating factors, really. Flares work when your battery is dead. Flares work if your car is smashed to the point of the hazard lights not working. Flares are a very obvious shade of red and also visible from very far away.

~Zero
 #21 
Old 2002-12-12, 00:45
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

yeah, the ones i have are 40 percent brighter than the us army requirements. I a shell can blow up 100 feet up in the air, and the little 1 inch round stars light can be seen from miles away, then flares are really good if you are stuck. Always have them in your car.
 #22 
Old 2002-12-12, 19:53
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

http://www.pyrotek.org

Check out fuse and then the bottom of the page.Those look awesome...I might have to order some...
 #23 
Old 2002-12-13, 01:48
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Recharging Road Flares

Push the button on the EPIRB, within the hour a helecoptor will be there.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics