|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-12-05, 02:49
|
Monkeyman666 
Regular
|
|
|
|
What do we have here?
Sonic flash powders. I have been looking at pyro sites for gigs. Im in a band, and found about any type of flash powder available(from diff. colors, to sparkling, to Sonic powder) The Sonic flash powder really caught my eye. It is used in a normal flash pot like all the others(That just flash with no boom) but this one does boom. A 1/4 teaspoon of flash that booms unconfined? Anyone know what this is?
"HIGH PITCH CONCUSSION FLASH (aka SONIC BOOM) (PDR8): Extremely loud report (semi-high pitch boom) high speed, and power. Very little smoke, and small flash of light. This powder is to be used in small amounts (about 1 bottle 'B' cap full per shot, which is about 1/4+ teaspoon) This is the loudest concussion powder formulation on the market. EXTREME caution must be used with this (and all other chemicals). " The only downside is that most of these are $15 an oz. They come in two different containers. So its not too complex.
Edit:Forgot to add, "To be used by professionals only!"
[This message has been edited by Monkeyman666 (edited 12-05-2002).]
|
|
#2
 2002-12-05, 03:18
|
EP 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
A quick look at the compDB finds this: +++ Flash #6 Source: rec.pyrotechnics. Post by Patrick Arnold <pcats@cryton.demon.co.uk Comments: Can be ignited by a fairly low temperature flame, and produces a greenish flash when magnesium is used. Burns very fast, and produces a loud report even in an open container.Preparation: Magnesium or Aluminum.............................1 Barium sulfate....................................1 +++ I'm sure there are numerous flash powders that will do this, but this is the only one that specifically mentions it. Always wanted to be in a band... 
|
|
#3
 2002-12-05, 03:33
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
����Indeed. Just about any superfine flash powder with a high power oxidizer can make at least a small report with no confinement at all. The air itself acts as the container for an instant, and when the expansion from the flash powder reaches the speed of sound you get a bang.
~Zero
|
|
#4
 2002-12-05, 09:08
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
Zeros right...But I was using like 700-800 mesh al and like 550-700 mesh potassium perchlorate and when that ignited my ears rang for a couple of days it was so loud....but most flash powders do have at least a small report when using chlorates or perchlorates as a oxidiser...
|
|
#5
 2002-12-06, 00:50
|
Genital-Warfare 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
Woundnt that flash be a high explosive? When an explosive reports unconfined it means the surronding air cant move out of the way fast enought, thats how the air confines the explosive. for any one who didnt understand what zero said.
CTR
|
|
#6
 2002-12-06, 01:09
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
no, black powder can do that. I think that to be classified as a high explosive, it has to burn faster than 3300 feet per second.
|
|
#7
 2002-12-06, 01:12
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
quote: Originally posted by Genital-Warfare: Woundnt that flash be a high explosive? CTR
If you burn it...No...If you use a blasting cap...maybe....
|
|
#8
 2002-12-06, 02:02
|
Monkeyman666 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
Wow, I guess I have never came across 800 mesh aluminum. Some guy from EW got 1000 mesh aluminum from NASA. Still 1/4 tsp reporting undconfined amazes me. Agent Boris what sort of legal issues are you going through from your accident, and how are your recovering.
|
|
#9
 2002-12-06, 02:13
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
i get around 800 mesh magnesium, and with potassium perchlorate, you could almost swear it was AP when lit in the open.
|
|
#10
 2002-12-06, 04:14
|
d1pstick 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
I'm not gonna try this again... I read an article on totse about making fuses using sodium hypochlorite and RTV. So, I took my tube of RTV and some powdered bleach that contained NaOCl and mixed them. Within a minute or so I smelled the acetic acid smell that RTV gives off, then I got this really bad stinging feeling in my throat... good ol' chlorine gas! Let's see if I don't cough up blood in a few minutes.
|
|
#11
 2002-12-06, 22:34
|
DavidThePyro 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
For something to be classified as a high explosive, the shockwave traveling through it must be moving at a speed equal to or greater than the speed of sound through that material. Right?
|
|
#12
 2002-12-06, 23:02
|
Agent Boris_KGB 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
quote: Originally posted by Monkeyman666: Wow, I guess I have never came across 800 mesh aluminum. Some guy from EW got 1000 mesh aluminum from NASA. Still 1/4 tsp reporting undconfined amazes me. Agent Boris what sort of legal issues are you going through from your accident, and how are your recovering.
I took my 600 and ball milled it for about 5 weeks straight...As for legal issues I have managed to evade all types of convictions or fines...My friends dad is going to fix the garage(he builds houses for a living) for some money but he wont tell any one else either...When I asked him if he had heard a explosion he said hell yeah he was watching tv and his house shook...And he is like 1/4 a mile away...He just said he had no idea where it came from and I think thats the only reason people didn't call the cops...is because no one knew where it came from...And I never saw a doctor so no questions got asked there...but as for the wounds,they are healing good,I can move all my fingers pretty good now I just cant get a good grip on things...I have finally concluded to what actually happened...I had dumped my spent acids where I dumped the AN and then the flash powder...And if you look at my site at chemistry related and then look at Incompatible Chemicals It says 'aluminium (powdered): chlorinated hydrocarbons, halogens, carbon dioxide, organic acids.' The flash powder contained al and there was organic acids where it was dumped... 'ammonium nitrate: acids, metal powders, flammable liquids, chlorates, nitrites, sulphur, finely divided organic combustible materials' Basically all were present...hmm I wonder if acids would be a good sensitizer... 'potassium perchlorate: acids ' shit... Moral: dispose of things in different areas... I was cleaning out my lab the other day and found a 100 ml bottle of a so thought failed AP production using oxalic acid and acetic acid and I had stuffed what was left of it(100ml) in the back of my cabinet and today I found it had tons of cyrstals in it...It has been in there about a month unmonitered and I monitered it for about 3 weeks before putting it in there....
|
|
#13
 2002-12-07, 20:13
|
It burns 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What do we have here?
As far as i know the He/Le status has nothing to do with burn rate, its to do with how the exploasive works, fast burning mixtures eg. flash powder, Blackpowder are Le's. And the likes of AP and HMTD are He's because they are a compound which breaks down, or detonates. Im not sure if this is right but i think so
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|