About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-30, 22:35
JakeTakeoko JakeTakeoko is offline
Regular
 
Default How to make ANFOS

HOw can I make the stuff?? I know Ammonium nitrate is used, and I got plenty of that.
 #2 
Old 2002-11-30, 22:43
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

Just add a fuel oil (Diesel), or other sensitize it with , aluminum powder or somthing. Then it needs to be initiated with a blasting cap, with the addition of a booster charge somtimes.
 #3 
Old 2002-11-30, 23:40
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

����ANFO is traditionally 6 percent diesel fuel, by weight, and 94 percent ammonium nitrate. Mix it well and let the diesel soak into the AN overnight.

~Zero
 #4 
Old 2002-12-01, 00:03
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

You will more than likley need a booster, because I have read about many people having failed detonations or partial detonations of ANFO. I reccomend you try something easier.
 #5 
Old 2002-12-01, 00:06
JakeTakeoko JakeTakeoko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

I see... Would igniting a model rcket engine in it ignite it? I just find blasting caps too.. ehh.

Is it just me, or does my typing suck?! I could type almost 100 wpm a few months ago, now I'm at like.. 45.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-01, 00:31
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

quote:
Originally posted by JakeTakeoko:
I see... Would igniting a model rcket engine in it ignite it? I just find blasting caps too.. ehh.

Is it just me, or does my typing suck?!



No....You could senstize it with something like thermite or flash powder or even something like kno3 or potassium perchlorate and some type of fuel...and then all you would need would be like 1 gram of AP or HMTD to dentonate it....But I managed to detonate AN with flash powder...I guess I was just lucky...


Yes.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-01, 01:13
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

you did? I am not that supprised, becuase i heard that .5 grams of HMTD could replace a number 8 blasting cap. You might get the same power with a few grams of flash powder but i am kind of suprised.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-01, 01:15
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

and jake, we didnt know you a few months ago, and we are not right beside you when you are typeing stuff up, so it is hard to tell if you type fast or not.
 #9 
Old 2002-12-01, 04:25
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

quote:
Originally posted by NickSG:
you did? I am not that supprised, becuase i heard that .5 grams of HMTD could replace a number 8 blasting cap.

Well thats about all thats in a #8 Blasting cap. http://www.geocities.com/the_pyro_stuff/High_Explosives.html look at this blasting cap from my site.
That is 3x1 & 1/4 inch and at the bottom of the pic is the top of the blasting cap, Where underneath that flap is a 1/4 in. metal sphere that holds the explosive. Thats not alot.


[This message has been edited by Monkeyman666 (edited 12-01-2002).]
 #10 
Old 2002-12-01, 04:28
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

that would be a tiny blasting cap.
 #11 
Old 2002-12-01, 14:45
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

����Commercial blasting caps are smaller than a lot of people think. If not, the casing may be large but the amount of explosive in them is actually quite small.
����A model rocket will not create the shockwave needed to deonate ANFO. Don't waste your time. To deonate a high explosive you for the most part must have a blasting cap loaded with a primary explosive that will create a shockwave with enough power to initate the explosive. Before any more of you ask, cratermakers, M-80's, and other low explosive salutes will not be able to detonate most high explosives.

~Zero
 #12 
Old 2002-12-01, 16:05
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

To make ANFO (Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil) you must grind up your AN to a powder and then mix it with fuel oil (1:1 gasoline, oil) with the proportions 16:1 ammonium nitrate to fuel oil.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-01, 17:25
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

can you search???? people have said it but I will say it again, ANFO is A- Ammonium N- Nitrate F- Fuel O- Oil
 #14 
Old 2002-12-01, 19:27
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: How to make ANFOS

Alright, let me take a crack at this one.

ANFOs are explosives consisting of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil. The ratio of AN to FO is anywhere between 85:15 to 97:3 with the usual being about 93:7. The fuel oil is usually diesel fuel. This mix needs to be well contained in order for full detonation to happen. The container is usually a thick metal pipe with end caps. ANFOs need either a really damn powerful blasting cap or a blasting cap with a booster to fully work. The latter is the more reliable. The booster I prefer is APAN. APAN is acetone peroxide and ammonium nitrate in a ratio of 1:3 to 1:12, in this case a 1:9 is good.

Anyway, as for construction, the ANFO is loaded in the container first. Then, about 30-60 grams of the booster is loaded on top of the main charge. The booster works better if it is kept together in a small tube, with the tube legnth being close to its width. Finally, a blasting cap is inserted into the booster charge.

Here's a little pic of my homemade AP blasting cap:


[This message has been edited by DavidThePyro (edited 12-05-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics