About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:17
Regular
 
Dublin Ireland
Default Good shrapnel?

what type of stuff can you use for shrapnel?

I personally use 1.5/.5gm lead fishing weights and I load hem into a ping pong ball loaded with GP or BP.When it goes off they usually go through almost anything,I remember one time when i had a ping pong ball half full with i think it was fp but i cant remember,but when it went off the weights went everywere and i went back up to were i set it off and i seen a car door with 2 little holes in it(im guessing from the lead balls)

[This message has been edited by Daithai (edited 11-30-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:20
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

Why would you want shrapnel? The whole reason we use paper cases it to reduce shrapnel with the same power a metal case would be. Mixing weights with flash powder is one of the stupidest things i heard of. If you dropped the bomb with weights in flash powder, it would probably go off, so i wouldnt ever do that again.
 #3 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:26
Regular
 
Dublin Ireland
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

I want shrapnel because i want to know what the speed,distance and destructivness of it so I can be far away when i make a really big bomb which i probrably wont
 #4 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:27
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

what would you want to blow up? I am sure that the shock wave from just the blast would tear up anything.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:28
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

quote:
Originally posted by Daithai:
what type of stuff can you use for shrapnel?

I personally use 1.5/.5gm lead fishing weights and I load hem into a ping pong ball loaded with GP or BP.When it goes off they usually go through almost anything,I remember one time when i had a ping pong ball half full with i think it was fp but i cant remember,but when it went off the weights went everywere and i went back up to were i set it off and i seen a car door with 2 little holes in it(im guessing from the lead balls)

[This message has been edited by Daithai (edited 11-30-2002).]



bp or gp... gunpowder or black powder, both are the same i think, mate
 #6 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:28
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

si
 #7 
Old 2002-11-30, 19:34
Regular
 
Dublin Ireland
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

quote:
Originally posted by NickSG:
what would you want to blow up? I am sure that the shock wave from just the blast would tear up anything.


I dont want to blow up anything in particular yet,and you are probably right about the shoch wave its just im using shrapnel because i want o know the limitations of it and the saftey of it because im not to sure if anyone has tried that yet here on Totseland
 #8 
Old 2002-11-30, 20:52
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

����I once made a destructive little beauty by dipping a cratermaker in glue and then dunking that in a box full of BB's. I don't suggest you do this, though, since it's an excellent way to perforate yourself. Steel BB's bounce readily, and even if the bulk of the wave of shrapnel misses you there's still a chance of it reflecting from some other surface and hitting you in the ass.
����Devices intentionally designed to produce shrapnel are usually a bad idea. Not only is the shrapnel potentially dangerous to you, but a shrapnel producing bomb will be classified as an antipersonel weapon and will land you in even more trouble than normal if you get caught with it.

~Zero
 #9 
Old 2002-11-30, 21:37
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

There is no such thing as good shrapnel.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-30, 22:31
JakeTakeoko JakeTakeoko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

HEh... One day I got bored ( very board) and DEcided to take a pair of scissors to a nickel. It went through. I tried it with a penny and it worked even better. Then I tried it on a dime, an dIt sliced right in half so easily. You can make them into sharp ass points for anti-personnel grenades. If you want mega shrapnel..

Take two drinking glasses(identical). Cut the bottom of one of the glasses off. Now fill one of them with kno3 or some sort of explosive (BP might work better, I just figured the O3 in the Kno3 would make it burn faster. ). Drop in glass from the rest of the drinking glass, BBs, dimes, whatever you can find. Epoxy the bottom of the glass to the glass filled with your explosive, making sure to not forget to insert a fuse. Now put it under a car and take cover.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-30, 22:34
devoiced devoiced is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

yeah really shrapnel blows, whether its hitting cars or houses or hitting a person
 #12 
Old 2002-12-01, 01:48
devoiced devoiced is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

if you glue bbs to a cratermaker wouldnt it just produce the normal amount of shrapnel just with bbs glued to it or did you not let the glue dry? wouldnt it just be easier to add the bbs in wwith the powder in the bomb?
 #13 
Old 2002-12-01, 02:00
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

it would be more dangerous with the bbs inside, becuase if you shake it or drop it, they would spark and blow the thing up. it you want shrapnel(i dont know why you would), i would just glue lead pellets to the cob, becuase they dont bounce around like steel do.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-01, 02:12
devoiced devoiced is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

i dont want shrapnel i was just wondering cuz zero said he glued bbs to it and i was jw
 #15 
Old 2002-12-01, 02:59
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

i forgot which forum zero posted this at, but he lit a cratermaker inside a box, and counted how many pieces it broke into. i think it was 5 peices, and it went 1/2 inch into wood.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-01, 07:02
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

quote:
Originally posted by JakeTakeoko:

Now fill one of them with kno3 or some sort of explosive (BP might work better, I just figured the O3 in the Kno3 would make it burn faster. ). moo.



Kno3 is inert unless mixed with a fuel so it wont burn at all.

ohh i added the moo to the quote just to see if i could
 #17 
Old 2002-12-01, 13:54
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

quote:
Originally posted by 6C:
There is no such thing as good shrapnel.


You beat me to it.

Schrapnel is not something you want to fuck around with. i.e. if it's close enough to damage someones car then your not far out enough.
 #18 
Old 2002-12-01, 14:29
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

����I posted the shrapnel experiment here on Totse. I have since deleted all the images from my server, but I still have them. Maybe I should put them up as an article on KP.

~Zero
 #19 
Old 2002-12-01, 17:27
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

yeah, your right, putting the cob experiment on krimzon will make it even better.
 #20 
Old 2002-12-01, 18:34
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Good shrapnel?

Shrapnel is very bad. For one, it can go through body parts that I'm sure you want intact. For two, it can get you in more trouble than a device with no intentionally-added shrapnel. For three, it can cause premature ignition of your device if it is mixed in with the explosive. Alright, so thats a recap of what everyone else said and I agree with.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics