About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-21, 14:34
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Boom...

There are now two police cars doing slow circles around my block.

All I did was drill a tiny fuse hole in a two liter soda bottle, put about a tablespoon of black powder in there, and light it off...

I could hear the blast echoing off of the rise at the bottom of the hill near the river. That's a distance of about 3/4 of a mile. Double that (for the trip back to my ear) and that thing was easily audible for over 1.5 miles. Not too shabby for something that cost me about a penny.

I'll have to be honest in saying that I've never actually tried a meaningful amount of explosive in a soda bottle before. That worked out a lot better than I expected...

~Zero
 #2 
Old 2002-10-21, 14:58
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

I did that once....It is pretty fun...
 #3 
Old 2002-10-21, 19:15
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

It is more echoy than if you filled up a tube with the gunpowder. That is what I like, a deep, echoy BOOOOOOOOOOOM!! The only thing I do not like is it is not easy to carry it in you pocket.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-21, 22:44
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

I've worked out that three and one half tablespoons is the optimal amount of powder for a two liter bottle. Much louder boom.

I also discovered that plastic liquor bottles (vodka in particular) work very well for this.

~Zero
 #5 
Old 2002-10-21, 22:48
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

how would the thickness of the walls affect this would a gatorade bottle be a better substitute? and i still want to do that gasoline and lighter thing the hard part for me is getting the gas strange... whats up Zero lately it seems that youve been posting nontraditional projects you got a shortage of chems?
www.pyrosupreme.tk
 #6 
Old 2002-10-21, 22:49
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

I tryed that with a small water bottle, but it wasnt that loud,

CTR
 #7 
Old 2002-10-21, 23:23
P_Dub_Pyro P_Dub_Pyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

i could be totally wrong here, but i think the lids on gatorade and water bottles are too weak. the 2 liter or 20 ounce bottles have those manly lids you can screw on real tight
 #8 
Old 2002-10-21, 23:42
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

a two liter and a waterbottle have then same lids but a gatorade bottle lid you can screw on tight and in fact may be more manly cause there is less simple machine there to help you
 #9 
Old 2002-10-22, 00:46
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

That's nuts! Only 3 or so table spoons in a two liter bottle? I dont beleive it, I have to try it myself.
 #10 
Old 2002-10-22, 01:44
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Boom...

I've been posting such described 'non traditional' projects because I am at the moment quite broke. I've just been playing with what I can do with what little I have onhand.

Most of my resources are going into the development and construction of various exotic melee weapons, which is a passtime that I have found quite interesting.

Regardless of all that, Gatorate bottles with simple screw on lids and not the spout variety should work just fine. I find that two liter soda bottles work the best, but 20 ounce and 1 liter bottles will work as well. They're easier on your pocket to carry, also. If you cannot be bothered to shake the powder into the nearest cavity on the inside of the bottle to your fuse you can hold it in place with five or six paper towels rammed into place with a broomstick handle.

Unfortunately, I have now run out of bottles. Such is life, I suppose.

~Zero
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics