|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum. |
 |
|
|
#1
 2002-10-05, 08:09
|
wideb0y 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Cratermakers
I've decided to make some cratermakers and wondered if you guys had any tips?
I am going to use rocket engine BP, Will this work?
What should I use for a fuse? I was gonna use a sparkler.
If I don't have any Co2 cartridges what else can I use?
How much should I fill up the Co2 cartridge?
|
|
#2
 2002-10-05, 11:38
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
Rocket engine black powder will work just fine, provided you grind it down to sand sized particles or thereabouts. I find the best way to fill a cratermaker is to drill out the end a bit to widen the hole, fit a funnel over the neck, and pour in the powder. If your powder is of the proper grain size it will just pour right in, like sand in an hourglass.
A sparkler will work for a fuse, but I recommend using proper Visco fuse for cratermakers. If you don't use waterproof fuse you deprive yourself of one of the best things to do with cratermakers - Setting them off underwater!
If you don't use a CO2 or N2O cartridge it's not really a cratermaker, but a similar effect can be had with short lengths of pipe.
~Zero
|
|
#3
 2002-10-05, 14:08
|
bmxr105 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
you can buy co2 cartrages at any age at wal-mart.
should you clamp down the top part a little if it's two wide after you put the fuse in? i'm asking because it should work better that way buy i don't know if it would be dangerous considering that there's bp in it.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-05, 14:40
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
The hole shouldn't matter much. You can seal it up with whatever strikes your fancy to keep the fuse from falling out. I use epoxy putty, but I've used tape and glue in the past with no problems.
~Zero
|
|
#5
 2002-10-05, 15:07
|
wideb0y 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
Where can I get Visco fuse from? (Bearing in mind im in England)
Also do you reckon I could seal it with a glue gun? I thought this may be good as when it hardens its rubbery
Setting them of underwater ay? I can sense a few Drain covers being removed! Think of the Echo!
:Thanks for your help so far guys!:
|
|
#6
 2002-10-05, 15:19
|
AzUrE BLuE 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
one day when i was going to get some rocket powder for my crater makers, the store was closed and there was a deli right next to it. so i went in, got a pack of smokes and for some strange "instinctful" reason, a few packs of sparklers. so i went home and crushed up the sparklers. i filled up the co2 cartridge with the powder and put a 4 inch visco fuse in(i wasnt really sure what was gonna happen). so i took the thing lit it and just threw it in an open space. i was like 50 feet away and it went off with a bang like no other. it went off like autofire in continuous blasts for some reason. it left like a 1 1/2 crater in cement. so if your ever low on BP use sparklers.
|
|
#7
 2002-10-05, 15:31
|
draggo 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
Can anyone comment, would sparkler powder actually work.
|
|
#8
 2002-10-05, 15:57
|
TOWCHBob 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
That was a dumbass thing to do. The shrapnel from a cratermaker could easily kill you(or worse someone else).
|
|
#9
 2002-10-05, 16:47
|
Genital-Warfare 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
So can driving a car, playing golf, or eating dinner. You just have to use your head.
CTR
|
|
#10
 2002-10-05, 17:05
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
I really think that you can get sparkler powder to work, becuase I, Zero, EP and a few others got it to work with match heads, and sparkler powder is just a slow flash powder, but I do not belive the thing about the 1 1/2 inch crater in cement.
|
|
#11
 2002-10-05, 17:58
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
quote: Originally posted by NickSG: I really think that you can get sparkler powder to work, becuase I, Zero, EP and a few others got it to work with match heads, and sparkler powder is just a slow flash powder, but I do not belive the thing about the 1 1/2 inch crater in cement.
sparkler powder won't work .... all it will do is rip it an new asshole i have made these all the time with all sort of containers i have taken glass jars (small ones) with metal lids and filled it with the powder and inserted a sparkler in it and then glues it in place and i can tell you 100% that it will not work it will make a fountain of sparks thats about it ... if your lucky it might even erode the metal a little bit .... but there is very very litte compression not enough to even blow the glass the closest it did was crack the glass from heat stress trust me it will not work
|
|
#12
 2002-10-05, 18:07
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
|
|
#13
 2002-10-05, 18:09
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
|
|
#14
 2002-10-05, 18:10
|
wideb0y 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
quote: Originally posted by TOWCHBob: That was a dumbass thing to do. The shrapnel from a cratermaker could easily kill you.
quote: Originally posted by Genital-Warfare: So can driving a car, playing golf, or eating dinner. You just have to use your head.
How true! I like it Genital
|
|
#15
 2002-10-05, 18:52
|
vinman56 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
I think the reason it didnt explode is because it wasnt sealed tight enough to build up enough pressure. Try it with a CO2 cartridge sealed with epoxy, I think that should work (if you put blackpowder in a case like that it would jsut blow the top off)
also, I am running low on epoxy, but I have alot of CO2 cartridges and black powder left, what would be the next best sealant?? would silicone work (it is very fleible and stuff but I know they seal water tanks with it and those are put under pressure)
[This message has been edited by vinman56 (edited 10-05-2002).]
|
|
#16
 2002-10-05, 19:59
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
naw man try it it will not work this was made with a weak case yes but i have made them out of lot's and lot's of diffrent cases and have yet have one explode and any metal cases i usal i use epoxy puddy to seal them
|
|
#17
 2002-10-05, 20:18
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
Using the hole for the fuse hold does just make the hole bigger, along with a small pop, but when I side fuse my cratermakers with sparler powder, it sounds like you are using BP.
And Warweed, a crater maker is the same thing as a cob or a CO2 bomb, not a medicine bottle filled with sparkler powder. That sparkler powder wasnt even fine. I get mine really, really fine before filling my cobs(Ive only done like 3 becuase sparklers are kind of expensive). I put it in my ball mill for a couple of hours, so it is like 300 mesh.
[This message has been edited by NickSG (edited 10-05-2002).]
|
|
#18
 2002-10-05, 20:21
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
quote: Originally posted by NickSG: Using the hole for the fuse hold does just make the hole bigger, along with a small pop, but when I side fuse my cratermakers with sparler powder, it sounds like you are using BP.
really ? humm never thought of side fusing i shall give it a try when i get some cash but im still a little unsure
|
|
#19
 2002-10-05, 20:24
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
It depends on what number you are using too. I get #10 or higher to work, no lower than 10. I have no idea what the number mean though.
|
|
#20
 2002-10-05, 21:16
|
|
Moderator
|
|
directly over the center of th
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
#10 sparkler ?
could be length could be color could be width could be any thing
...
should it all be the same ? it's all crushed up in the end ....
|
|
#21
 2002-10-05, 23:24
|
bmxr105 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
so can sparkler stuff explode in things other then crater makers? i have a bunch of those little sparklers i could use
|
|
#22
 2002-10-05, 23:43
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
You can use sparkler powder in salutes, but you will have to use a paper that doesnt stretch much or it will not explode.
|
|
#23
 2002-10-06, 00:12
|
Zero the Inestimable 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
I've never tried sparkler powder in a cratermaker, but I've heard enough people insist that it works that I'd regard it a worthwhile experiment.
Lucky you, though, as I'm fresh out.
~Zero
|
|
#24
 2002-10-06, 00:27
|
NickSG 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
I do not have any right now. BMXr is lucky. I rarely buy any, becuase they are really expensive over here compared to whistlers.
[This message has been edited by NickSG (edited 10-06-2002).]
|
|
#25
 2002-10-06, 02:40
|
AzUrE BLuE 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Cratermakers
listen to Zero. it is a worthwile experiment. everything i said is true. it left that 1 inch crater and it does work. i always make them out of sparkler powder now because it saves me the trouble of making BP. ill make some soon and post some pics for u all.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|