About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-02, 21:52
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default oxidizer?

cear this up please,

you can replace the sulphuric nitrait in BP with an oxidizer? if so is this the best explsive powder to use it for?
 #2 
Old 2002-10-02, 23:35
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: oxidizer?

say wut ....

Black powder is 75% potassium nitrate 15% charcoal 10% sulfur

first off what is "sulphuric nitrait" i think you meant to spell "sulfuric nitrate" but that is not a componet in BP so i do not know were you got it and second in BP potassium nitrate is the oxydizer in BP so i do not know what in the flying fuck you are talking about


please correct your mistakes and try to form a proper english sentance so that my febile incompitent brain may interpret what the fuck you just said in the last jumble of random letters you throw together on your post
 #3 
Old 2002-10-02, 23:39
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: oxidizer?

ok umm heres what i think you tried to say

"cear this up please,
you can replace the sulphuric nitrait in BP with an oxidizer? if so is this the best explsive powder to use it for?
"

i think this is what he is trying to ask but with my lack of knowledge on grade 4 speeling he may have to attemp to clear it up

|
|
\ /
*
"clear this up please can you replace the sulfuric nitrate in BP with an oxydizer? if so is this the best oxydizer you can use for making BP?"
 #4 
Old 2002-10-02, 23:55
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

Potassium nitrate is the oxidizer in black powder. It can be replaced with other oxidizers, but except in the case of very similar replacements (sodium nitrate) you will have to change your ratios or performance will degrade.

~Zero
 #5 
Old 2002-10-03, 00:45
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

alright, i'll take note to correct my spelling

but what i was getting at was can replasment oxidizers make my black powder stronger?
 #6 
Old 2002-10-03, 00:59
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

I have never tried it, but potassium perchlorate may work better, but the ratios would have to be changed a little. Just about any nitrate can be used as a substitute for potassium nitrate, but some may not work as well.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-03, 04:24
DavidThePyro DavidThePyro is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

Warweed, if you're going to bitch about other peoples spelling, you really should get yours right. (Case in point, Warweed's version: oxydizer | bmxr105's version: oxidizer, which is correct) Having said that, Warweed is correct in saying that black powder is 75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, and 10% sulfur with no "sulfuric nitrate" - which I can't find on any of my chemical suppliers' inventory anyway. If you just happened to find some of this "sulfuric nitrate" lying around, try to make an explosive with it. I doubt that it will work very well even if you tweak the ratios in the formula, but experiments are the basis of science so go for it.
 #8 
Old 2002-10-03, 04:29
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

Dave have some respect boy! Warweed will be here for a long time to come while you'll probably be gone at the end of the month. I didn't know what the hell he said either. Why should anyone put in the extra effort to read his spelling and help him if he's too lazy to spell is question right?
 #9 
Old 2002-10-03, 19:33
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

lazy? sorry, maybe i am lazy, but it's just spelling, he/she still new what i was talking about...
quote:
i think this is what he is trying to ask but with my lack of knowledge on grade 4 speeling he may have to attemp to clear it up

|
|
\ /
*
"clear this up please can you replace the sulfuric nitrate in BP with an oxydizer? if so is this the best oxydizer you can use for making BP?"


 #10 
Old 2002-10-03, 19:54
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: oxidizer?

i am a male that goes by the name of Jim or James what ever suits your fancy
 #11 
Old 2002-10-03, 19:59
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: oxidizer?

quote:
Originally posted by 6C:
Dave have some respect boy! Warweed will be here for a long time to come while you'll probably be gone at the end of the month. I didn't know what the hell he said either. Why should anyone put in the extra effort to read his spelling and help him if he's too lazy to spell is question right?


thanks for backing me but it is ok he does have a point and i freely admit that my spelling and grammer is pretty bad and can compare to a child in grade 6 but i can admit it and i try to make my sentances make sence and with as much proper spelling as possible but as for the grammer i just don't waste my time ....
 #12 
Old 2002-10-03, 22:31
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

I remember the very first day I came here, I told you guys you can get 600 mesh with a bench grinder, and someone told me I was a kewl and I would be gone in two weeks, but I forgot who it was. Now I remember! It was 6C, but I am not mad or anything, but I just care that I figured out who it was.
 #13 
Old 2002-10-04, 19:58
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

i know i'm full of questions, and here's another, how can i make a fuse out of string and sparklers, i heard somewhere that you can but forgot how to do it and can't find the sight
 #14 
Old 2002-10-04, 21:56
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

Why not just use the sparkler as a fuse. If you want a thinner fuse, soak some potassium nitrate in some water and dip some cotton string in it and let it dry. If you do not want to use potassium nitrate, you can use gun powder.
 #15 
Old 2002-10-05, 03:51
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

Although im not the one that said you would be gone in a few weeks, I was the one that said you cant get 600 mesh aluminum on a bench grinder. Although I have seen you know your stuff, I still dont think you can get 600 mesh. I have used a bench grinder, & it was no where near my german dark 600 mesh.
 #16 
Old 2002-10-05, 04:01
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

I use it every time I need aluminum dust, so I am experienced. I saw some of the wheels sold at the home depot that tell the mesh of the grains on the whell, and the highest they had was 400, but if you press on the pipe softly, it is a lot finer. It might not be 600 mesh, but now lower than 450.

Welcome to atlanta where the playas play
and we ride on them thangs like everaday
big beats, hit streets, see gangstas romin
and the parties dont start til 8 in the monin
 #17 
Old 2002-10-05, 11:45
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

I still think the best way is to drop a bunch of aluminum foil in a ball mill.

Sure, it'll take two weeks for it to grind down, but it's a lot qieter and less wasteful.

~Zero
 #18 
Old 2002-10-05, 13:48
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

who much do ball mills cost and where can i get one?
 #19 
Old 2002-10-05, 13:49
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

how much do ball mills cost and where can i get one?
 #20 
Old 2002-10-05, 13:57
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

Well from zero to UN prices but they arent that hard to make www.unitednuclear

CTR
 #21 
Old 2002-10-05, 16:57
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

I use the slowest speed on my grinder so that it is quieter and so the dust isnt kicked around. You can get about 50 grams in an hour and a half. It is a lot cheaper than buying from UN, and I can wait a few weeks for my aluminum dust.

Zero: How fine do you get your aluminum with your ball mill. I might decide to do both the grinder along with the mill.

[This message has been edited by NickSG (edited 10-05-2002).]
 #22 
Old 2002-10-07, 20:38
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

so can i grind up homemade bp with a grinder that NickSG is talking about?
 #23 
Old 2002-10-07, 20:47
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

No. I bench grinder is a machine that has a big steel wheel that spins really fast. If you want to powder BP, use a ball mill(or some marbles in a tupperware bowl).
 #24 
Old 2002-10-07, 21:08
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

quote:
Originally posted by NickSG:
(or some marbles in a tupperware bowl).

That will take forever use a mortal and pestil or a hammer.

CTR
 #25 
Old 2002-10-07, 21:13
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: oxidizer?

A couple of .50 lead balls will crush it into a fine powder really quickly. I said marbles becuase it is a lot easier.

[This message has been edited by NickSG (edited 10-07-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics