About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-30, 20:31
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Film Canisters

Has anyone used a film canister as a casing? It works great! I did about 2 days ago, I wrapped about 10 layers of electrical tape around it and when it went off the sound could be compared to a quarter stick(the firework)!
 #2 
Old 2002-09-30, 20:54
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

There not all that good of casings because the pressure can't build up. What comp.?
 #3 
Old 2002-09-30, 21:34
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

quote:
Originally posted by Aechean:
There not all that good of casings because the pressure can't build up. What comp.?


You know me, flash powder silly! I did it two days ago and it worked wonders. It even got the cops to check it out! I really didn't think it would be as loud as it was.
 #4 
Old 2002-09-30, 21:41
DeusExMachina DeusExMachina is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

yes, i like using film canisters


they can be used for a lot of things....
 #5 
Old 2002-09-30, 21:53
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

You used flash powder. Of course it made some racket.

That's what quatersticks are filled with, anyway.

On the plus side, I do have about two thousand of the things kicking around. I should do something with them...

~Zero
 #6 
Old 2002-10-01, 00:10
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

6C: No offence, but saying silly makes you sound really gay, but I do not care if you already are.

Anyways, i have made some bombs with film cannisters using black powder or whistle mix, and they work really great.
 #7 
Old 2002-10-01, 01:01
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Film Canisters

yes i would have to agree saying silly does make you sound like you are gay ... not that i care im just bringing it up as a fact..


i wonder what a old shot gun shell would do wraped in tape and then the primer removed and that as a fuse hole and then insert the wadding with the machine as you would with a regular shell and then fill with about 1cm of epoxy puddy or low temp glue ...

that could make an intresting casing ..

i must say i think i should try this
 #8 
Old 2002-10-01, 02:23
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

Im not gay thillys!

But seriously now, they do make great casings. I find that they are not good enough I wrap it up in about 15 layers of electrical tape. On filling a film canister and filling a quarter stick I use much less flash powder for the film can yet it makes so much more noise. Just goes to show sometimes you dont know how powerful the stuff really is.
 #9 
Old 2002-10-01, 02:55
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

Well, when I make then, I fuse it, fill it with powder, and glue the top on with super glue. Then I wrap it in a few layer of tape. You do not need a lot of layers of tape. The only reason you need it is to help keep the top on, but it does also make a thicker case, which would probably help. I do not know if it would work well with pyrodex or smoke mix, but flash is the best. Has anyone ever made on with pyrodex or smoke mix?
 #10 
Old 2002-10-01, 03:48
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

quote:
6C: No offence, but saying silly makes you sound really gay, but I do not care if you already are


Dude, I know you live in kansas and all, but you really need to get over the whole gay thing...

When I got pyrodex for the first time I used it in a film cannister. It was wrapped with tape a bunch of tape and done electrically. It worked, but it was nothing special. I've used film cannisters for years...they work when you don't have much else.
 #11 
Old 2002-10-01, 12:21
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

I use 'em for smokebomb casings. They're a standard diameter and cylindrical, which means they fly from my cannon pretty good...

~Zero
 #12 
Old 2002-10-01, 19:13
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

I do not live in Kansas. I live in Mossouri. What are you talking about how people in kansas and the whole gay thing?
 #13 
Old 2002-10-02, 04:17
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

Film cannisters are good, and duck tape is a little better than electrical, but the ass-kicker is to use old CO2 containers or NO2 'whippets', we used to call them "getto blasters." They would sink in water, throw a little shrapnel if you needed, and you could drop them just about anywhere.
 #14 
Old 2002-10-02, 04:31
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

What I mean is you take the issue way too seriously and get very defensive about it sometimes. But I'm gonna drop this to try and keep this thread on topic...
 #15 
Old 2002-10-02, 19:09
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

I have nothin agianst gay people, as long as they do not try to get all close to me and flirt with me.

Anyways, I heard that you can get film cannisters for free at walmarts, but they will not give tons away, just to let anyone know who doesnt think the can get them without buying film.
 #16 
Old 2002-10-02, 19:59
bmxr105 bmxr105 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

theres nothing gay about kansas, but missouri...
 #17 
Old 2002-10-02, 20:13
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

I used to live by witchita, but moved. Anyway, I live about 1/2 mile from Kansas.
 #18 
Old 2002-10-02, 20:18
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

I never said that EP. I was just kidding around when I said, 'silly'. It sounds funny...
 #19 
Old 2002-10-02, 20:37
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

6C - I wasn't talking to or about you... I was mostly referring to a post by NickSG a little while back where somebody said something and he started yelling something like "Im not gay! I have lots of girls! blah blah etc"

Anyway, let's drop it...
 #20 
Old 2002-10-03, 04:32
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Film Canisters

Oh in your reply you had my name in there but yeah I agree let's drop it. It doesn't matter.
 #21 
Old 2002-10-03, 18:59
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Film Canisters

you can go to a film store and just ask for some cases i usally say i tie my own flys and i need some cases i usally pop into a diffrent one each week and take about 25 of them each time and thats not including my own wraped tin tape/gum tape tubes that i use for smoke bombs


basically i take my tin tape and take about 1 foot of it and with the sticky side up i wrap it on the tube so that it does not stick to the pole i wrap it to then i take two 1 ft strips of gum tape and wrape it on and it works great because it does not burn the tube they work great for sugar rockets
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics