About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-28, 00:11
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default no charcoal BP???

is it possible? once i get an answer i will delete this thread, as it only insults intelligence!
 #2 
Old 2002-09-28, 00:18
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

Of course it's possible! Im sorry but I dont know how but it is possible. Hell, you can make gunpowder with a dead cat.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-28, 00:22
piggarro99 piggarro99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

thank you for your imput 6c, naturally i will wait until someone who knows something posts... j\k..

i know that it wont be black powder, (as in the colour black wont be there) but i wonder if there is any kind of item that does the same job as charcoal in the bp mix???

thanks
 #4 
Old 2002-09-28, 01:03
EP EP is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

In blackpowder, charcoal is the fuel. You could of course replace this with a different fuel, such as a metal fuel, but what's the point? Charcoal is easy enough. If you want something without charcoal there are many flash comps you can make.
 #5 
Old 2002-09-28, 01:07
None None is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

You could try sugar.
 #6 
Old 2002-09-28, 01:25
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

Ok ive heard that sugar can work but im not sure, why cant you get charcaol its the easyest ingrediant to get, just go to home depot and buy a resperator mask cartridge open it up and pure activted charcoal.

CTR
 #7 
Old 2002-09-28, 02:24
PhoeniXKEA PhoeniXKEA is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

What are you asking? I'm trying to figure out what your after? How to make Black Powder?
 #8 
Old 2002-09-28, 02:27
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

quote:
Originally posted by PhoeniXKEA:
What are you asking? I'm trying to figure out what your after? How to make Black Powder?

...with out charcoal.
 #9 
Old 2002-09-28, 12:10
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

You can make it without the sulfur, but the charcoal is an essential ingredient.

I actually found high quality charcoal for sale in six pound bags at the Lowes near my house the other day. For those of you who are lazy/having trouble making good charcoal this could be a good resource.

~Zero
 #10 
Old 2002-09-29, 01:45
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

How would you make it with out sulpher thats what i have troble getting.

CTR
 #11 
Old 2002-09-29, 03:21
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

Just weight out 5 grams KNO3 and 5 grams of charcoal and mix for a while either by shaking or in a ball mill. You can also try different ratios to see which works better.
 #12 
Old 2002-09-29, 03:46
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

I did something like that last time and it sucked it wouldnt light even with a torch.

CTR
 #13 
Old 2002-09-29, 15:58
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

quote:
Originally posted by NickSG:
You can also try different ratios to see which works better.


uh genital that means you should use more fuel or less oxidizer right?



[This message has been edited by pRiMo_PyRo (edited 09-29-2002).]
 #14 
Old 2002-09-29, 17:13
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

Check this out:
http://www.roguesci.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000391

Personnally I have yet to make BP using a scale so I just guess and check. Without sulfur this would be that much easier. I've used charcoal briquets before just fine. Does anyone else have trouble grinding their sulfur into the BP? I still see really small chunks of it after milling for a long time.

[This message has been edited by Aechean (edited 09-29-2002).]
 #15 
Old 2002-09-29, 18:28
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

I posted that, not genital. I would not use more fuel than oxidizer. I would test out 1/1, 6/4, 7/3, 8/2, or maybe 9/1, which I doubt will work good. 6/4 nad 7/3 work the best as far as I know, becuase I have never tried 8/2 and 9/1.
 #16 
Old 2002-09-30, 00:48
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

i know you posted that i was just trying to address genital using your evidence
 #17 
Old 2002-09-30, 01:43
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

quote:
Originally posted by Aechean:
I still see really small chunks of it after milling for a long time.

[This message has been edited by Aechean (edited 09-29-2002).]



Purcahse something called Cab-O-Sil, it is used to keep chemicals from clumping up.
 #18 
Old 2002-09-30, 02:29
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: no charcoal BP???

quote:
* This is from united nuclear*
"Cab-O-Sil" is a Flash Powder additive that increases the burn rate of Flash Powders. Just around 1 gram to every 100 grams of your Flash Powder for increased "BOOM" in your salutes. Prevents caking and keeps your Flash Powder "fluffy" allowing for fast flame propagation.



There is actually 2 kinds of Cab-O-Sil. For epoxy, there is "antisag" and for fiberglass resin there is "mini-fibers"......I hope I didnot confuse the two.

I am not really sure which one works best but I bought a tub of "antisag"


EDIT: this tub cost me about $5 CAN.

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 09-30-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics