About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-19, 22:07
TheSellOut TheSellOut is offline
Regular
 
Default Green Flame

A few years ago, during winter time, I had a large citronella candle can in my room to take the edge off the chill.
The candle had burnt out and I was burning paper and bits of wax in the can. At some point I put hydrogen peroxide and bleach in the can as well. When everything burnt out I noticed green flames swirling around the inside of the can.
Basically what I'm wonder is what was burning to create green flame, and if I can recreate this effect.
 #2 
Old 2002-08-19, 22:18
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

I know that if you use barium nitrate as an oxidizer in a flash powder, it burns with a green flame. I do not know how you got a green flame. Maybe there was sodium hypochlorate in the bleach. I remember when i was a young pyro, I used to burn magazine covers, becuase they always made a green color, an to me that was fun.
 #3 
Old 2002-08-21, 04:38
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

I think any Barium salt will produce green even with a fuel, at least it did in Chem, i remeber magazine buring green, do you think they use Brium based inkes for that? If so how londg would it take to get enought for green smoke?

CTR
 #4 
Old 2002-08-21, 19:32
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

Well, I am not sure if there is any way you could get any barium out of a magazine, if a magazine doesnt have any already. I am pretty sure that any type of barium salt will produce a green flame.
 #5 
Old 2002-08-22, 21:35
Minor Theft Minor Theft is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

Don't know how you got a green flame, but if you grind up copper and add it in a flash power, or with BP, it will turn the flame green.


Maybe it was in a copper container?

[This message has been edited by Minor Theft (edited 08-22-2002).]
 #6 
Old 2002-08-22, 21:47
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

Only salts of copper would give any green off( copper nitrate, copper sulfate, copper chloride, copper chlorate,ect.).
 #7 
Old 2002-08-23, 00:41
BubbaS BubbaS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

nos nitrous oxide will make a green flame cause we made a flame thrower out of a car nitrous system and i shot a big green ball
 #8 
Old 2002-08-23, 18:34
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

Copper is generaly regarded as having a blue flame although, Copper, Barium, and Zinc all make a shade of green.

CTR
 #9 
Old 2002-08-23, 19:17
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Green Flame

When using magnesium as the fuel, barium nitrate makes more of a dark green compared to the light green that zinc usually gives off. Copper make a medium blue.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics