About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-18, 22:20
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Well, THAT didn't work.

Want to know why you should never prime a large KNO3/sucrose rocket with a hefty dose of FFF black powder?

'Cause it blows up in your face. My ears are still ringing, and I lit the thing off about two hours ago.

On the plus side, KNO3/sucrose mixture is an excellent way to add thickness and strength to salute tubes.

More experimentation will follow.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #2 
Old 2002-08-18, 23:01
Agent Boris_KGB Agent Boris_KGB is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

quote:
Originally posted by Zero the Inestimable:

'Cause it blows up in your face. My ears are still ringing, and I lit the thing off about two hours ago.





....Well that was smart........

 #3 
Old 2002-08-18, 23:15
NickSG NickSG is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

WHy didnt you make larger grains? IF I had that fine of powder, I would probably make larger grains, becuase FFF is pretty powerful.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-19, 00:55
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

Is sucrous surgar or corn surup?

CTR
 #5 
Old 2002-08-19, 01:03
GhettoJ GhettoJ is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

Sucrose is sugar. I believe that corn syrup is fructose
 #6 
Old 2002-08-19, 01:52
The_Scrub The_Scrub is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

Yeah sucrose is just table sugar. I can be thrown into a fire by itself and burn, it's a really good fuel. Just needs a good oxidizer. Both sucrose and fructose have the same chemical makeup(C6H1206 - just different placement of molecules)so i think both can be in granulated form. The syrup is just mixed with other things to get the thick liquid texture.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-19, 11:53
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

It wasn't in my face in a literal sense, you know. I was about fifteen feet away behind a camera when it went off. Even still...

I think my problem was using storebought black powder as priming material. I've used homemade FFF or smaller for ages, but I suppose my powder wasn't nearly as powerful as the storebought stuff.

I've been trying to make a KNO3/sucrose rocket for some time now that doesn't need to be primed, but I've had no luck with anything above bottle rocket sizes.

In other news, I made a working salute today (intentionally, this time) out of nothing but a pinch of black powder and some KNO3/sucrose mix melted and formed inside a roll of notebook paper...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #8 
Old 2002-08-19, 14:02
pRiMo_PyRo pRiMo_PyRo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

vids or pics?
 #9 
Old 2002-08-19, 15:17
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

I have one movie, but there's no sound and there are people in the frame who would rather that they not be posted on the internet...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #10 
Old 2002-08-19, 16:01
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

hehe.. I have had my fair share of exploding rockets. I had a matchead rocket that blew up pretty good because It was primed improperly.

P.S: I will be back on the 21st
 #11 
Old 2002-08-20, 10:36
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

Iv never primed a rocket. but my larger rockets tend to get 30 feet of the ground before exploding sending cool smoking fireballs into the trees.
 #12 
Old 2002-08-20, 13:02
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

I don't know if anyone ever told any of you so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything but as the size of your rocket motor goes up, you shoud use a more aggregate mixture for your fuel.

With a few of the larger PVC pipe motors I have built I used a chunky type of oxidizer and flammable solid. This will prevent or at least cut down on your motor going ka-pow!

The extra air space between the chunks (even after packing) cuts down on the pressure build-up and makes it easier for the fuel to burn. Just a thought.
 #13 
Old 2002-08-21, 04:10
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Well, THAT didn't work.

Just the end plugs exploading
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics