About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-05-30, 01:23
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default obtaining BP

I'm 13 and I'd like to know an easy way for me to obtain black powder or pottassium nitrate(I think they're the same thing...) ppl tell me to go to http://www.skylighter.com and http://www.unitednuclear.com but skylighter, you have to have proof of age and all that, and I beleive unitednuclear is a pile of shit. I am trying to get 11+ lbs of BP/KNO3 for all my projects, so I think it will be hard. I heard there is BP in model rockets you can buy at stores, but I'm not sure on that. Hard to get it off the internet, even if I was 18 or older...any help would be appreciated. Thanx
 #2 
Old 2002-05-30, 02:05
the creator the creator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

KNO3 and black powder are differant. Potassium nitrate is simply an oxidizer. In order for it to be explosive there has to be a fuel source. Gunpowder has KNO3, sulfur and charcoal. As far as buying either of them I am sure most places require you to be 18.
 #3 
Old 2002-05-30, 02:06
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Sorry to say, but best bet would be the five finger discount.
 #4 
Old 2002-05-30, 02:48
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

??? 5 finger discount ??? Guess it's one of those time jokes, you laugh when you have the time...
 #5 
Old 2002-05-31, 03:02
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Is there any other possible ways?
 #6 
Old 2002-05-31, 05:09
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Goddamn you! I spit all over my monitor when I read that.
 #7 
Old 2002-06-02, 20:56
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

I got my dad to buy me some, but where can I find black powder? I looked on all sites that I know of that sell chemicals and I can only find Pottassium Nitrate and not black powder/gun powder/whatever. Where can I find it?
 #8 
Old 2002-06-02, 21:02
TheMeatPirate TheMeatPirate is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

dude, just do the model rocket engine thing. The black powder that's inside isn't all that good, and it's a bitch to crush up, but it works, probably for what you would be doing with it.

~Meaty
 #9 
Old 2002-06-02, 21:21
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Black powder can be had from some fireworks (a servicable replacement can be found in Camelia Flower spinners, for starers) and model rocket engines. I can be bought from a gun store with ID but a license is not generally required.

Potassium nitrate (an ingredient in black powder, as it happens) can be had as stump remover as well as a fertilizer. Check the hardware store or agricultural supplier, and don't be afraid to ask them to get it for you if need be.

Potassium nitrate can also be bought/stolen from labs or laboratory suppliers, but this is rarely a feasible means of procurement.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #10 
Old 2002-06-03, 20:50
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

well, where can I find it in model rockets? And zero, will pottassium nitrate work the same as black powder? I'm trying to make a cratemaker and an m-80...also I'm gonna fill a clay castle I made in art class with bp and put a fuse in and light.
 #11 
Old 2002-06-04, 20:37
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

M-80s don't have any black powder in them. They're made of flash pow. If your dad buys you the shit, tell him gun shops sell black powder. It isn't too hard to make black powder though.
 #12 
Old 2002-06-04, 20:42
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Oh yeah, that's a pretty damned stupid idea with the castle and everything. Just imagine if a spark flew off from the fuse and set off your BP, just wait next year (you're in 8th grade, right?) and steal some from your HS. Ocourse if I were you, I would get some books and read some.
 #13 
Old 2002-06-04, 20:45
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Oh and one final note, when you see black powder in a gunshop, it'll be under the name "Smokeless Gun Powder" or somethiun like that.h
 #14 
Old 2002-06-04, 22:27
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Smokeless and black powders are two different things. For pyrotechnic purposes you will want black powder, preferably grade FFFg or FFFFg.

I use "Goex Authentic Black Powder Rifle Propellant", Grade FFFg when I feel inclined to buy the stuff.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #15 
Old 2002-06-05, 22:48
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

oh sorry bout that, I read that somewhere. I think in Abbie Hoffman's "Steal This Book" they say that.
 #16 
Old 2002-06-06, 02:08
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Actually...I'm in 8th grade next year but I can't go to a gun shop because there isn't any gun shops anywhere near, nearest is like 180 miles away...
 #17 
Old 2002-06-06, 02:59
Deakon Deakon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

You can buy BP at walmart guy... people still use muskets and BP pistols... i buy it all the time.
As for Potassium Nitrate.. i went to a local pharmacy and asked for it and the guy ordered it for me. Neato.

Cordially,
Deakon
 #18 
Old 2002-06-06, 22:57
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

So what would I say then? Wouldn't they suspect it? I could just steal it(no ID req.) but where is it?
 #19 
Old 2002-06-06, 23:48
jak719 jak719 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

I dont think you are ready to be messin around with this stuff. You should learn more about it first. you asked where to get black powder frrom in the rocket engines. its the black stuff. thats why its called "black powder." you do know that if yoiu get kno3, that your gonna have to mix it with charcoal and sulphur right? and the stuff they sell at wal-mart isnt black powder. its something like it but not as powerful. and if you wanna make a crater maker you camn use matchheads.
 #20 
Old 2002-06-07, 00:12
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: obtaining BP

first off the powder in rocket engines is pyrodex it is close to BP in many ways but there still are a few minor diffrences but no biggie second of all if you want by just go to a gun shop or like wal-mart they usally have it for people that do there own reloading if you need it that bad just pay some bum on the street some money to go buy you some gun powder or just give him some booze it all works but yeah any ways by the way you talk and the knowledge you possess in amature pyrotechnics i would highly recomend that you not persue your hobby in explosives till you have a higher knowledge in the subject the fact that you thought KNO3 was the same thing as BP was proof enough that you do not posess that knowledge so please at least go back an read all the other post or at least the ones that interest you on totse there are a lot of awnsers to the question people have all ready asked such as were can i get fuse or how can i obtain BP or were can i get KNO3 and lots of other things like that but other then that im rambling and tired so i shall go off and bitch at some other new fool c ya
 #21 
Old 2002-06-07, 00:16
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

Hahaha, pay some bum on the street. That's how I used to get rolling papers, hehe.
 #22 
Old 2002-06-07, 10:49
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

yeah ur a bit young. U probably dont even know what a oxidising agent is. at your age i just buggered around with sparklers. oh yeah im not sure how ur school age thing gos but if it is the same as mine u would be what 10. Your way to green to be playing around with this
 #23 
Old 2002-06-07, 10:52
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

oh shit i should have read your post before rambeling on. i geuss your not that young at 13 maybe a little to build a crator maker. at 13 here you would be in gradein year 8 or 9 (13-14 for y 9)
 #24 
Old 2002-06-07, 12:37
Pyr0-Optimist Pyr0-Optimist is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

I know how to make a cratemaker but are matchheads that powerful? Guess I will have to wait till later on probably. Oh well
 #25 
Old 2002-06-07, 13:51
xtaceexxx xtaceexxx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: obtaining BP

ALL YOUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED! go to WWW.SSAEROSPACE.COM its the cheapest you can get it and there is no questions asked
it would also help if you have the html on

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics