About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-03-21, 02:18
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Cheap ass thrills

I Usually make lots of pyrotechnics & stuff, but this one is for those poor people who can't get pyro chemicals.
-------


Cut a hole in the top with an exacto knife and put a sparkaler inside.


Remove the stuff from some sparkalers. KEEP IT CHUNKY!


Put about 5-6 sparkalers worth of stuff inside


Tape the 2 caps together.


Lite and watch!

Here is another way:

Same way, but use a piece of paper, so you can fit in more stuff.


More sparks!

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 03-31-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-03-21, 02:59
Prodigy45 Prodigy45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

You have beautiful hands
 #3 
Old 2002-03-21, 03:02
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

nice post rat, that was really sweet considering those who don't have shit for fireworks. i think ill try that, even show my family, who are amazed at the most simple pyrotechnics.
 #4 
Old 2002-03-21, 04:33
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Instant fountain. Not bad.

I used to do that, only on a much larger scale. I routinely lit off bundles of 500 or more sparklers in the dead of night. It it up several blocks of the local suburbia when placed properly.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #5 
Old 2002-03-21, 07:02
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Yeah, here is a site dedicated to GIANT sparkaler displays:
http://www.fromorbit.com/drutter/bombpics.htm

---
Zero, I was just wondering where did you get such large quantities of sparkalers?
 #6 
Old 2002-03-21, 16:03
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Indeed, Dan's stuff is good. Have you been to www.dansdata.com yet?

I get my sparklers from the local farmer's market. Four bucks for a pack of 9 boxes of 8 sparklers each.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #7 
Old 2002-03-22, 07:37
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Ya i used to make thoes. another good thing is to open up a party popper and take all the crap out sept the cracker. shove a sparkler in threw the top like a fuse so the handle stickes threw the hole in the bottom. put about a sparklers worth of crumbley stuff in. stick it in the ground and light the fuse. the thing will flare up then pop and send littler red balls all over the place.
 #8 
Old 2002-03-22, 09:36
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Yup, I used to do that all the time. Works really well. I used to put them in film canisters tho. Also if you dont keep it chunky (make it fine powder) it makes a really really really big flame! Rather interesting. I light a park bench on fire... Almost got fined... Bastard cops...
 #9 
Old 2002-03-22, 13:05
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

i couldnt get it to burn when i crushed it into really fine powder
 #10 
Old 2002-03-22, 20:00
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

I didn't have any trouble... I wonder why yours wouldn't light... What did you use as a wick? Kuz if you didn't use a spakler then it would be difficult to light it.
 #11 
Old 2002-03-22, 20:04
t0ne t0ne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Sweet Idea, Rat Where in Canada do you live?
 #12 
Old 2002-03-22, 21:28
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

quote:
Originally posted by static_firefly:
i couldnt get it to burn when i crushed it into really fine powder


Yes It is very hard to get it to lite with a fuze while it is a fine powder. Just do what CulexuS did and use a sparkaler.
----

t0ne, I live in Victoria B.C

Do you live in Canada?

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 03-22-2002).]
 #13 
Old 2002-03-23, 00:37
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Cool, I live in vancouver, just a fairy away rat.
 #14 
Old 2002-03-23, 01:42
t0ne t0ne is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Yea I'm living in Edmonton Alberta

Cool cool, BC is a beautiful province...
 #15 
Old 2002-03-23, 05:56
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

I tried the fine powdered method, and it gave a bright flame (I should have set my digital camera to a better setting for bright pics; the flame is smaller than it looks.)



Personally, I like the chunky method better, more flaming sparks flying everywhere, instead of a flame.

[This message has been edited by Rat_Bastard (edited 03-23-2002).]
 #16 
Old 2002-03-23, 07:58
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Hmm, and here I am stuck down in Olympia Wa away from all of the fun, fun other than repairing my body after projects gone wrong. I figure I'll make a page on my site listing all the injuries I've substained from pyrotechnics but it will come at another time.

Also, has anyone tried adding magnesium powder to the mix of chunky sparkler bits so as to have both shooting sparks and a bright flash? Like have the best of both worlds people!
 #17 
Old 2002-03-23, 11:39
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

sparklers are the only fuse i have
 #18 
Old 2002-06-20, 06:11
scythe scythe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

that is all i have as well.

it is a sad place we live in Static_fly and I.

[This message has been edited by scythe (edited 06-20-2002).]
 #19 
Old 2002-06-20, 12:42
gun-nut gun-nut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

a word of advise, wet those materials to remove, and dry them for use.....

do not remove dry, or you might set off them
while scraping...
 #20 
Old 2002-06-20, 15:44
PyroMatt PyroMatt is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

Thats cool Rat, I'll try it when sparklers come on sale.

-The Flame Viper
 #21 
Old 2002-06-20, 16:04
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

I found hockey tape wors better, because it is more heat resistant and wont melt like duct tape.

Oh BTW here is the movie: http://members.shaw.ca/exim/clips/scap.avi
 #22 
Old 2002-06-21, 01:40
Pyro7 Pyro7 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cheap ass thrills

im not trying to be affencive, but when i make mine, it seems to be better, like shoots sparks higher, and lasts a little longer.........maybe because i fill it with chunks then i put in powdered sparklers to fill in the cracks of the chunks ?
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics