About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-03-04, 01:13
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Thermite

I recently discovered this easy to make substance known as thermite. I have all the ingrediance BUT I just wanna double check the ratios so I dont waste this weekend getting all the stuff. From what I have gathered (there isnt much on thermite) it is three parts Iron(III) Oxide (Not rust as most people seem to think) and two parts Aluminum powder 400-600 grade (I could only get 400). I also need to know if a sparkler will light it. Because I think there is magnesium in sparklers. Kuz if not I'll need to jack some magnesium ribon from the science lab.

Thnx for any info and I'll get some picks of tests.
 #2 
Old 2002-03-04, 01:16
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Also incase anyone cares. I'm planning to put it into a co2 container (generously donated to me by these retards who tryed to shoot me with a paint ball gun but failed. So they threw it at me ) with eather a magnesium ribbon as a wick(not sure how well that will work) or a sparkler.
 #3 
Old 2002-03-04, 05:36
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

quote:
Originally posted by CulexuS:
Also incase anyone cares.


get me some pics of this and then i might care
 #4 
Old 2002-03-04, 06:41
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

DAMMIT MY THERMITE WONT WORK!

I Have tried many ratios and it still won't work!

I am using good aluminum, (I use it in my homemade flash powder, it works great), and I use good Iron oxide:





I am getting tired of wasting my magnesium ribbon!

I need help!
 #5 
Old 2002-03-04, 16:48
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Well see that is exactly why I'm asking for help before I waste my time with the wrong ratios...
 #6 
Old 2002-03-04, 19:23
Infestation Infestation is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

what i do is but a layer of magnesium powder at the top, about 3-5mm thick, so when the magnesium ribbon lights it it creates enough heat to set off the thermite. i think its something like 2950 degrees centigrade that you need to set it off
 #7 
Old 2002-03-04, 21:37
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Forget the mg ribbon get a file and one of those firestarter blocks from the sports store, file that bitch right down to asmall mountain of fine mg. It'll work way better for your purposes.

The side cover on my new husquavarna chainsaw is made out of magnesium. When I break it I'll be filing for a week.
 #8 
Old 2002-03-04, 22:00
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Arent you supposed to heat the Iron Oxide and Alum powder together in a pan first? That's what I heard from the thermite file that was removed from this site. And tryptamine, buy magnesium wedges instead of waiting for your huskie to break down, their practically indestructable!
 #9 
Old 2002-03-05, 01:06
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

I heated the rust untill it turned a darker brown (in the pic)

But heating the aluminum?? I never heard anything about that.
 #10 
Old 2002-03-05, 01:35
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Its not rust heated I dont think... I think that makes Fe(II) oxide. I hear that if you burn steal wool until it is all soot, that makes Fe(III) which is what you need. I'm not sure but thats the info I have =/ And its the "Fe(III)" I have if im wrong I'll have to make some real Fe(III)
 #11 
Old 2002-03-05, 04:16
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Yeah you need actual iron oxide, not rust, rust is a mixture of oxides and hydroxides, you need a fine BLACK powder for thermite.

My husky will never break down(I take care of my baby)side covers crack from getting hit by the chain when it comes off.
 #12 
Old 2002-03-05, 04:28
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Great! now can someone tell me what ratio works?

Iron oxide : Aluminum

8:3
3:2
1:1

These are all the ratios I have read about, which one is the right one?
 #13 
Old 2002-03-05, 07:07
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

iron oxide isnt rust? shit. but when i coated a sparkler in that shit and tissue paper it burnt under water
 #14 
Old 2002-03-05, 08:17
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Rat_Bastard

I heard the ratio of 11 parts alum 7 parts Iron Oxide but it may be the other way around because it's been 6 months since I read that file.

Tryptamine

Your chain should never come off the bar, my husky's chain has been on for 2 years and it's never hopped bar, but my stihl kicks husky ass as far as powerheads go, get an 066, they kick ass!
 #15 
Old 2002-03-05, 10:23
shadow_stalker shadow_stalker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

tryptamine and olywaanarchy
u should have a comp to see whos got the power see how many lamp posts and power poles u can cut down in an hour
 #16 
Old 2002-03-05, 16:50
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

No, you misunderstood static_firefly. Iron (III) oxide isn't rust. Iron (II) oxide is. Thermite calls for Fe(III) not Fe(II) which is a common misconception. Of course I still could be wrong in which case someone can correct me
 #17 
Old 2002-03-06, 22:09
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

quote:
Originally posted by Rat_Bastard:
DAMMIT MY THERMITE WONT WORK!

I Have tried many ratios and it still won't work!

I am using good aluminum, (I use it in my homemade flash powder, it works great), and I use good Iron oxide:





I am getting tired of wasting my magnesium ribbon!

I need help!



just wondering but were abouts did you get your Al ??
 #18 
Old 2002-03-06, 22:34
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

The thermite mixture should be composed of 25.3% Al and 74.7% Fe2O3 (by weight) to provide the proper molar quantities I mix the two reactants thoroughly, using anywhere from 30 - 120 g of thermite mixture
the reaction is as followed

2Al + Fe2O3 ---> Al2O3 + 2Fe
 #19 
Old 2002-03-07, 01:17
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Exellent.

I got my chemicals from my trusty friend who is a retired chemistry teacher.
 #20 
Old 2002-03-07, 02:44
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

what is the best way to get Al powder other then grinding a bar down
 #21 
Old 2002-03-07, 02:57
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Try a paint store, I heard they carry it.
 #22 
Old 2002-03-07, 03:14
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

what would they use it for ?
 #23 
Old 2002-03-07, 06:20
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

I got mine from a art store... they sell it as some kind of shining material. i guess your supsoto put it on something to make it shinny, i dunno but i got it
 #24 
Old 2002-03-07, 16:57
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

aaaaaaaaaaany way, We actualy havent had any real adcive here... all we know is a few more people need to know the ratios... I'm gonna try the 3:2 ratio this weekend, I'll get picks for ya to see when I'm done... hope it works!
 #25 
Old 2002-03-07, 23:53
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

may luck be with you my friend
 #26 
Old 2002-03-08, 11:47
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

i think art stores sell it as a glitter.
 #27 
Old 2002-03-08, 14:59
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Paint stores sell it as a paint additive to make paint metallic- Look at some car paint and you'll see what it does.

Glitter sold at most places isn't aluminum but is plasic coated mylar, which doesn't help us any.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #28 
Old 2002-03-08, 16:37
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Ya its not sold as glitter, its sold as a paint additive like zero said.
 #29 
Old 2002-03-14, 07:21
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Forgot to tell people results... Didn't work... waste of a good strip of magnesium. Well I'll try the other ratios this week (spring break!). If I get any results I'll take pics and post it.
 #30 
Old 2002-03-14, 12:37
MysteriousEnigma MysteriousEnigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

A paper that I read from my chemistry class states that its 3 parts Iron(III) oxide to 1 part aluminium powder.
 #31 
Old 2002-03-14, 12:59
Bubba C Bubba C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Well i am far from an expert( in explosives and such ), but i have never been able to make this i have got the finest of ingredients yet nothing.
My old chem teacher in uni (with 23 years of experience i might add)could never make it (he came close though- didnt burn properly) -and he had access to anything you wanted.
So just my experiences.....
 #32 
Old 2002-03-14, 16:31
MysteriousEnigma MysteriousEnigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

The ferroaluminium mixture needs to be completely anhydrous, i.e. have no moisture in it at all.
 #33 
Old 2002-03-15, 03:02
Prodigy45 Prodigy45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

8 grams rust to 3 grams aluminum filings is the ratio you are looking for.
 #34 
Old 2002-03-15, 04:52
Aechean Aechean is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

can someone make this clear to me once and for all?- what kind of Fe and how to get it?
 #35 
Old 2002-03-15, 05:14
Prodigy45 Prodigy45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Well, you need rust. The best way to make alot of it is....

a) get an electric train transformer
b) attach a common nail to the PLUS (+) end of the transformer
c) get a glass jar
d) fill it with water
e) put salt [regular table salt
is fine] into the water
f) put the other end (-) into water with the nail [leave the transformer
out, of course]
g) turn on the transformer
h) let the contraption run overnight
i) seperate out all the red shit [that's the rust] with a filter or a
spoon.
j) let the stuff dry [like on a paper towel]
k) that's it! you have rust!
 #36 
Old 2002-03-15, 05:59
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

You DONT want rust... That is Fe(II) Oxide... You want black power stuff... I made it by burning steel wool untill it was all black soot. That is Fe(III) Oxide, which is what you want.
 #37 
Old 2002-03-15, 13:48
MysteriousEnigma MysteriousEnigma is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

Yes, listen to Culexus, he is right.

If you have been attempting to make thermite with Iron(II) oxide i.e. Rust, then it won't work. You need Iron(III) oxide, from burning iron, probably the easiest way from attaining it is by burning iron filings or iron wire.

The reason for this is because in Iron(II) oxide (FEO), the iron has an oxidation state of +2. Whereas in Iron(III) oxide (FE2O3), it has an oxidation state of +3. This means that when it is reduced by the aluminium, more energy is released because more electrons are being transferred between the aluminium and the iron.

 #38 
Old 2002-03-15, 15:23
d1ng0 d1ng0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite


I think I see the problem here.

The magnesium ribbon won't work because it's contacting only a small portion of your thermite and burns fairly quickly.
Same with the pile of magnesium filings- the heat is there but if you don't have enough it burns too fast to get the reaction going.

Thermite isn't like sugar & nitrate/chlorate, or any other host of combos. It has the reactant properties of rock (figure of speech). You're talking about two metals that need to be brought up to a very high heat (and kept there) before it can become a self-sustaining inferno.

You need an igniter that keeps the juice going long enough for the metals to begin reacting on their own.

An acquaintance uses Al powder and Mg filings (1:2 ratio) thoroughly mixed with Potassium nitrate (1 pt Al/Mg mixture to 1 part Potassium nitrate). He spreads it over the top of his thermite till it's about 1/4" or a little more deep.

Since a fuse won't get that going he puts some sugar/chlorate in the middle of it with a fuse sticking out.

I don't know why he does it that way when *I* think it would be easier to just drop the Potassium Nitrate and mix the Al/Mg with the sugar chlorate.

That's supposed to burn hot enough (and long enough) for the thermite to get going on its own.

Even though the info is second hand, hope it helps...
 #39 
Old 2002-03-15, 16:38
CulexuS CulexuS is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

ya I think your right, I was gonna try putting Mg in a pop can mixed with KNO3 with a paper divider then the thermite on top. That way when the wick (what ever it is..) will go to the bottom lighting the Mg and KNO3 which will burn under the paper divider letting the thermite drop on it... That would work right? Because the KNO3 will oxidize the Mg so the thermite wont put it out... Anyway just a thought... Gimme better lighting ideas if you have them. I don't think this CO2 container will work well... Alas...
 #40 
Old 2002-03-15, 16:55
d1ng0 d1ng0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

I've never heard of a "bottom-up" setup before, only "top-down". It might work. I guess if you have enough materials you could try it both ways to see which works best....

Good Luck.
 #41 
Old 2002-03-16, 02:30
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

quote:
Originally posted by Prodigy45:
Well, you need rust. The best way to make alot of it is....

a) get an electric train transformer
b) attach a common nail to the PLUS (+) end of the transformer
c) get a glass jar
d) fill it with water
e) put salt [regular table salt
is fine] into the water
f) put the other end (-) into water with the nail [leave the transformer
out, of course]
g) turn on the transformer
h) let the contraption run overnight
i) seperate out all the red shit [that's the rust] with a filter or a
spoon.
j) let the stuff dry [like on a paper towel]
k) that's it! you have rust!



i think every one has read the anarchist cookbook but thanks for your input
 #42 
Old 2002-03-16, 02:41
Prodigy45 Prodigy45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Thermite

just tryin to help, only thing i could find on it. =\

[This message has been edited by Prodigy45 (edited 03-16-2002).]
 #43 
Old 2002-03-16, 04:46
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Thermite

not really a big deal im just bored right now so im seeing what i can complain about or help out on
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics