About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-02-18, 21:38
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Cratermaker questions

After reading an older thread on this board on c02 bombs aka cratermakers, and the new one, I'm going to go make some

First of all, with the standard c02 cartridges, how many matchheads would you say I need to set the fucker off? Will rubber cement work to seal it off? Also, how loud will this be (like, as loud as a shotgun, or something).

I also have one of these;
http://members.tripod.com/racersedge2/9oz_molly.JPG

And want o make a bigass c02 bomb out of that, will matchheads work for that one too or will I need blackpowder?
Thanks in advance for answering my dumb newbie questions
 #2 
Old 2002-02-19, 01:03
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

One box of matches (1000 heads) will yeild perhaps three CO2 cratermakers or four nitrous cartridge cratermakers.

Larger containers seem to work a good deal better than smaller ones with match heads. Your mileage may vary, of course.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #3 
Old 2002-02-19, 04:13
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

Thanks

But how loud would you say it is? The only testing area I have is the woods near my house, and if it's loud I want to know so that I know to wait until the neighbors aren't home.
 #4 
Old 2002-02-19, 04:52
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

I also just thought of something else;

how dangerous is it to use paper matches in the co2 cartridge? Is it at all possible that the metal will cause the match-heads to go off? I plan on using either white or red head non-strike anywhere paper matches, are these safe? I'm really not ready to die or loose a limb yet in my life, so if you can tell me how likely it is that it could accidentaly go off, I would greatly appreciate it
 #5 
Old 2002-02-19, 05:14
insane_blaine insane_blaine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

Die Muther Fucker.

 #6 
Old 2002-02-19, 05:30
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

quote:
Originally posted by insane_blaine:
[b] Die Muther Fucker.

[/B]


Why thank you for the valuable input
 #7 
Old 2002-02-19, 10:07
Rogue dude Rogue dude is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

"will the metal will cause the match-heads to go off" cut one off put it inside see if it lights up... but i don't think it will.... black power is better then match heads but i guess you should use what ever you got

if it blows it's cuz you made it blow

have fun

[This message has been edited by Rogue dude (edited 02-19-2002).]
 #8 
Old 2002-02-19, 22:11
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

Book (paper) matches are perfectly safe in CO2 cartridges. Well, until you light the fuse, anyway. I've been using them for years and as far as I can tell I'm still alive.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #9 
Old 2002-02-20, 00:22
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

lol yeah there safe to use just don't use strike any were matches and you should be fine
 #10 
Old 2002-02-20, 03:27
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

Thanks, and can rubber cement be used to seal it off?

I don't have any fuses so I'm just going to use a remote detonator I made a while back.

I'm going to make a shit load of these tomorrow, wish me luck, and since I recently "aquired" a camera, I might be able to post pics of the explosions.
 #11 
Old 2002-02-20, 03:40
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

yo man don't be using a remote detonator man you crazy let me guess you made it out of and old rc car right well don't use it let me guess you got the idea from the anarchist cookbook well less you wanna blow yourself to bits never use remote there are to many radio waves and signals that could set it off and boooooom so don't mess with that shit man less you got a fuckin specific frequancy i would not toy with it
 #12 
Old 2002-02-20, 03:43
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

i would not use rubber cement if it were me but you can if you want to just use somthin like ummm water puddy of i know hehe just thought of it why not use play-doh hehe that might work and if you have no fuse use a sparkler at least
 #13 
Old 2002-02-20, 04:34
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

Well, alright, if you say so, I won't use a rmote detonator. And I didn't get the idea from the Anarchist cookbook, but I did take apart a remote control car to make it.

I don't have sparklers and I can't get them, will a really long piece of cloth work, lol.
 #14 
Old 2002-02-20, 05:26
insane_blaine insane_blaine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

HAHAHAHAHA.
Will a really long peice of cloth work!
NO

[This message has been edited by insane_blaine (edited 02-20-2002).]
 #15 
Old 2002-02-20, 05:32
Swartz45 Swartz45 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

quote:
Originally posted by insane_blaine:
HAHAHAHAHA.
Will a really long peice of cloth work!
[b]NO


[This message has been edited by insane_blaine (edited 02-20-2002).][/B]


Alright, CALM DOWN. No more crack for you!

 #16 
Old 2002-02-20, 16:05
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

I use epoxy putty to seal mine. You can use anything that will hold the fuse in, really. I've used duct tape before and it worked just fine.

I'd suggest investing in some good fuse before playing with cratermakers. Also, I've found that model rocket igniters don't work so well in cratermakers because they tend to touch the cartridge and short out, rendering them useless. You'll have to improvise some sort of insulation if you want to use electrical ignition on a cratermaker.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #17 
Old 2002-02-22, 03:03
Moderator
 
directly over the center of th
Default Re: Cratermaker questions

try going to a drug stroe and asking for saltpeter if the ask just say you interested in makeing your own rocket motors basicly all you need to do is mix about a 4:1 ratio of salt peter to suger then mix it into water till it is all disolved now get some blotto paper and cut it into strips about a inch and soak them in the water for about 1 min then take em out and let em dry
code:

:: ::

^
<><><><><><><><><><>
<>
<>
<>


hehe im bored
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics