About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-02-02, 23:35
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Flash powder's stability?

Ok, I dont know which thread I saw it in but it stated that Flash powder was more unstable than gunpowder and estes rocket powder. Something like "You can use a hammer to crush estes powder but not flash powder, it'll go off if you do." Can anyone help me because I just got a "Rocket pack" and it consists of the engine and wraps of paper containing powder pellets.
 #2 
Old 2002-02-02, 23:59
Monkeyman666 Monkeyman666 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash powder's stability?

Yes, flashpowder will go off when struck with a hammer. I am sure your engine consists of black powder, if thats what your asking. If it is yes you can grind it by hitting it with a hammer, but it is still not guarenteed to not go off doing it.
 #3 
Old 2002-02-03, 03:04
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash powder's stability?

I've never been able to set off engine powder with a hammer. I've been trying for years (indirectly, of course), so I surmise that it's safe.

Chlorate and permagnate based flash powders will go off if you hit them with a hammer. They're shock and/or friction sensitive. Perchlorate and nitrate based flashes may or may not, but I wouldn't bet any money (or limbs) on it. They are more stable as a general rule, though.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #4 
Old 2002-02-03, 06:08
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash powder's stability?

Ok gotcha, grind down the engine powder but not the flashpowder pellets. I'll just stick them in whole for the test blastingcap I guess. Note: I'm making the blasting cap with powder like in the "igniter" thread started by poisonfishgirl. So thanks!
 #5 
Old 2002-02-03, 13:10
Infestation Infestation is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash powder's stability?

would you be able to ball mill flash powder since the impact of each bb is less than the impact of the hammer? i dont want to test cuz its my precious ball mill and i dont want to wreck it
 #6 
Old 2002-02-03, 16:03
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash powder's stability?

I suppose it's possible. I'd do it outside, if I were you.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #7 
Old 2002-02-04, 22:39
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Flash powder's stability?

Ok, just did some tests on the flashpowder pellets and here are the results.

1.Placed one pellet (which are slightly larger than a .177 BB) between two bricks, jumped up and landed on them. Result:Nothing

2.Placed one pellet (same size) between a brick and a rock on top, then held a 5-6lb sledgehammer with hammer part hanging down and hit it as hard as I could. ResultNothing

3.Placed one pellet on top of a rock and just layed the sledgehammer down on top of it. Result Dust cloud and no reaction.

4.I then scraped the remnants of the pellets on a metal file and some rough sheet metal. Result Nothing


So, it must be regular gunpowder and not flashpowder, but when I grind it down I'll be outside and wear my usual leather gloves just in case.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics