About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-01-30, 02:02
insane_blaine insane_blaine is offline
Regular
 
Default Chemical Igniters

I Can't recall where i saw it, but i was looking around the net for files, I found this one file that i recall that said when the mix potassium permaganate/sugar touchs sulfric acid it ignites. Is this true anyone ever try this?
 #2 
Old 2002-01-30, 02:35
olywaanarchy olywaanarchy is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

I've heard that potassium permangate + powdered sugar ignited with fuse = big incindiary... But I havent tested it.
 #3 
Old 2002-01-30, 03:24
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

It is 9 parts potassium permagnanate to 1 part sugar I think. You pour glycerine on it, and It will heat up and ignite.
 #4 
Old 2002-01-30, 05:47
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

Lemme try this real time, I'll be back in ten minutes to tell you th results, k.
 #5 
Old 2002-01-30, 06:13
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

Back from the lab(actually I did this in my bedroom) 9.02 g of pottasium permanganate were placed in to a heated mortar and pestle followed by 1.04 g of granulated table sugar. The heated mortar and pestle helps to drive off any water in the reagents. they were ground for three minutes into a fine homogeneous powder. 1 g of this powder was placed in a shot glass. 5 drops of glycerine were added imeadiately the combination started to bubble and hiss, smoke issued seconds later, and finally a burst of flame shot 4cm out of the shotglass. burned for approx. 3 sec and then went out. Upon washing the reaction vessel it was noted that there was some unreacted permangante.

Tommorow I may try the same formula with sulphur added at 5% to see if a catalytic effect occurs.

Comments/questions welcome

ps. Quite stoned right now.

 #6 
Old 2002-01-30, 06:35
insane_blaine insane_blaine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

I see the glycerine worked, try sulfric acid!
 #7 
Old 2002-01-30, 06:43
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

Sulphuric acid should also have an effect as well, and I might add some al or mg powder as a high energy fuel, we can get a pretty stable chemically active igniter going here pretty soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
 #8 
Old 2002-01-31, 03:17
tryptamine tryptamine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters


Well sulphuric acid merely carbonizes the sugar and reduces the permanganate, nothing more than a fizz and charred remains. The sulphur added at ~5% reduces the sensitivity such that the mixture does not ignite it merely smokes and smells bad.
 #9 
Old 2002-01-31, 04:06
insane_blaine insane_blaine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chemical Igniters

Meh!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics