About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
This particular thread is a partial recovery - page 1 of its original capture was never archived, so some posts from that page are missing below.
 #1 
Old 2002-01-13, 05:08
unstable247 unstable247 is offline
Regular
 
Default Craters in the Making

yeah FP would make it work better, very much so.
 #2 
Old 2002-01-18, 04:10
Droog13 Droog13 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Yea just use match heads, and if u have extra sparklers just use them for a fuse. Actually I get ridiculed for often using sparklers insted of real fuses, but i find they always burn all the way down, and burn slower.
 #3 
Old 2002-01-18, 16:14
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

If it works, that's the most important part.

I use sparklers for test fires because I'm too cheap to waste my fuse.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #4 
Old 2002-01-19, 13:27
static_firefly static_firefly is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

im so happy. i found kno3 in australia. LA LA LA. soon i will be makeing blackpowder and rockets and shit too.

 #5 
Old 2002-01-29, 01:21
tek tek is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

heh, i tried to use thermite inside a crater maker, well it didn't go boom. what happend was a lot of smoke(i didn't watch directly) then nothing. i went over to examine and found a glowing red Co2 cartrige(sp?) and a burned safe(testing box). it stayed red for a while till i poured water on it.
 #6 
Old 2002-01-29, 02:38
Mack Mack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Well you may do it, but I didnt see it o DGZ, maybe you should put your experience on your web page.
 #7 
Old 2002-01-29, 03:43
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

I read on "The Forum" that some guy started using side fuzed cratermakers and It had less shrapnel see pic:



you know what post im talking about, Zero?

P.S: Just so you know, I am registered under the name of "Jawsome" on "The Forum"
 #8 
Old 2002-01-29, 21:09
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Who, Mark? He posted that on Xinventions a while ago, too.

His method works, but I think it's a little tedious. Why drill a hole in the side of the cartridge when there's already one there? I suppose if you used very cheap matches that were incapable of burning fast enough to burst the cartridge it would make sense, but otherwise it's just extra work.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #9 
Old 2002-01-31, 06:00
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Great work Zero. I loved the pics. For added fragmentation of our beloved crater makers try using a plumbers pipe cutter to create many shallow grooves in the co2 shell...id love to see your results.
 #10 
Old 2002-01-31, 20:13
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

I want to devise a more effective means of determining the shrapnel pattern. Once I do this I'll be sure to test that. A similar idea had come to me as well, but mine involved scoring a pattern of diamonds on the cartridge with a Dremel.

~Zero the Inestimable
 #11 
Old 2002-02-01, 04:42
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Zero, have you considered sheets of paper arranged as boxes one over the other? Using the blast origin as a center point you would be able to accuratley plot the path of your hot steel frag by drawing imaginary lines through the holes in both sheets of paper. If you had big enough boxes you could also calculate the velosity of the shrapnel due to arc or drop in the pattern, of course three or more points would be needed.

Another more reliable method would be high speed film. Good luck.
 #12 
Old 2002-02-01, 07:05
Rat_Bastard Rat_Bastard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Try 5 Phone books arranged In this pattern!


(The 5th phone book goes on top)

That should collect the shrapnel right?

So you can document the way it goes!
 #13 
Old 2002-02-01, 15:55
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

That's a thought. I might try that, even if it means carrying five phonebooks to my blasting site. I'll need two more books, too.

I was picturing covering the inside of a metal box with plumber's putty to catch the fragments. With the concussive force one of these things makes when it goes off, though, I'm afraid my box will fly away...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #14 
Old 2002-02-02, 03:10
Storm999_99 Storm999_99 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

How big is this box?despite the considerable force of a CM, it shouldnt fly that far.
 #15 
Old 2002-02-02, 19:04
Zero the Inestimable Zero the Inestimable is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

I set a cratermaker off in a computer case the other week. The metal part of the case was held on with two screws, and the power supply, drive covers, and slot covers were all removed (places for pressure to escape). The cratermaker broke the screws and threw the case over 20 feet.

Cratermakers do indeed make things fly away...

~Zero the Inestimable
 #16 
Old 2002-02-03, 05:30
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

Zero, Create a 3-d map of your box, numbering each panel by number. Then you can "rebuild" your box inside out, but in the same configuration. Great idea with the puddy, but I'd consider cost. Is there something less expensive than plumbers that would achive the same results?
 #17 
Old 2002-02-03, 05:34
Vindicatus Vindicatus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Craters in the Making

For further accuracy in your model; what about numbering your frag diamonds? I don't want to get carried away but I'm a stickler about ballistics.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics