About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-05-28, 15:42
polos polos is offline
Regular
 
Default water rocket

one of the most simplest rockets i have come across, was using water jet propulsion.
u take a water or cooldrink plastic bottle. either 1,5 or 2 liters. this is now filled from 1/4 to 1/3 with water and corked up. through the cork we drive an old tyre valve. then place the bottle onto a suitable launch ramp, a pipe that the bottle fits into will do.
then take a wheel pump and pump away.
the bottle can withstand amazing pressures, the bottle will then blast off, the pressure forcing the water out which drives the rocket. the heights reached may be enhanced by keeping the bottle on the cork mechanically, and by choking the bottle neck and thus extending the time the water pushes the bottle along. we reached heights exeeding a hunderd and fifty meters, but i never got it right to stabilize the rocket when choking the bottle neck. so i reckon even greater heights can be attained.
no chemicals no explosives, quite innocent actually.
 #2 
Old 2001-05-30, 02:43
unstable247 unstable247 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: water rocket

*tries hard to contain laughter*

*fails*
 #3 
Old 2001-05-30, 19:52
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: water rocket

I used to have one of them when I was younger I used a modifyed bike brake to hold the bottle on and after puming it up all I needed to do was squeeze the brake and I would launch it. I had the whole setup mounted in a piece of gutter tubing which greatly improve the range and accuracy (and ment you don't get wet) Just look for some tubing a little larger than the bottle...

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
Visit my BSS Deaths Kitchen www.fieldings43.freeserve.co.uk/DK.htm
 #4 
Old 2001-06-01, 08:37
polos polos is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: water rocket

hmmm, ever wonder how much pressure a regular coke bottle can take? i reckon the answer will be quite scary.
 #5 
Old 2001-06-01, 19:52
Minami_Sasake Minami_Sasake is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: water rocket

125 PSI, give or take.


------------------
Day must fade to night,
Night must give in to sunrise,
I watch, silently.

~A Haiku, Minami Sasake
 #6 
Old 2001-06-11, 22:37
[C][R][U][S][T] [C][R][U][S][T] is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: water rocket

I used to have one of these that i made when I was about ten years old. They're pretty fun, and can get pretty good distance. I used to launch bottles over my house, and it would clear it no problem
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics