About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-10-23, 07:15
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default improviseable impact sensitive explosives

How is the best way to make ammonium nitrate? Is urea nitrate an impact explosive? If so are any of these able to act as a makeshift primer? If not do you know of an explosive easily manufacturable that can serve as a impact explosive? The main reason I want to know this is because I know how to make an improvised powder but not an improvised primer and wish to know how to reload a spent casing with easily improvised materials.
 #2 
Old 2000-10-23, 13:04
krazd krazd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives

you asked
"How is the best way to make ammonium nitrate?"
oh my god you ask this and your a moderator
sh!t you can buy it as fertilizer at 50kg for $32
or get it from instant cold packs
why would you want to make it when it's so easy to get once you have it it's easy to purify anyway
 #3 
Old 2000-10-24, 03:57
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives

I mean from stuff found for the most part in nature.
 #4 
Old 2000-10-24, 04:33
crazedbytch crazedbytch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives

Alan, Ammonium nitrate is insensitive to detonation by impact, Better lay in some factory made primers or percussion caps if your'e concerned about long term survival in case of anarchy or whatever. Mercury fulminate with potassium chlorate added can be used to reload primers, But the case can only be used once if ths is done, The byproducts of combustion weaken the brass.
I've seen strike anywhere match tips used to reload primers,But I don't know how reliable the primers would be.
Calcium nitrate can be treated with ammonium sulfate, Giving ammonium nitrate and calcium sulfate as a byproduct.
As calcium nitrate is found in nature, It is a universally available material, And reaction with sodium or potasium carbonates will give sodium or potassium nitrate, Respectively.
Hope this helps, CrAzEdByTcH
 #5 
Old 2000-10-24, 05:22
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives

damn I wonder what that chemicle is It is ammonium somthing. say It in the cookbook and I cross refrenced it with the big book of mischeif, which is a more reliable source. IT is an impact sensitive explosive, I hope urea nitrate is it was my first choice for an impact sensitive explosive.
 #6 
Old 2000-10-24, 13:24
crazedbytch crazedbytch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives


Alan, I think what your'e referring to is ammonium nitrogen tri-iodide, A _CONTACT!_ explosive, Not suitable for gun primers or anything else. You'd best read some more literature before trying anything in the BBOM for your own sake. Be safe, Not sorry, CrAzEdByTcH
 #7 
Old 2000-10-24, 20:29
crazedbytch crazedbytch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives


To the reader: I checked out the BBOM and PMJB, As well as the Anarchist cookbook, I wouldn't try _ANY_ of the formulas in those manuals. Pray for Mr. Smithee if he does. CrAzEd (But not stupid)ByTcH
 #8 
Old 2000-10-25, 01:14
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives

I wouldnt do anything from the anarchists cook book, the bbom is a slightly more reputable source though. Idealy Id like to find it in an army manuel, yes it was amonium nitrogen I still want to know if urea nitrate would work.
 #9 
Old 2000-10-25, 03:24
crazedbytch crazedbytch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: improviseable impact sensitive explosives


Urea nitrate won't make a primer, Alan, But I have some formulas for primers,you can get an idea from them what makes a good primer mixture. (For reference only, I've never made primers, And have no other information or instrutons.) #1 Mercury fulminate 40%
Antimony sulfide 20%
Barium nitrate 10%
Pb TNR 30%
Pb TNR is lead trinitroresorcinolate.

#2 Pb azide 5 parts
Cu Silicide 10 parts
BaNo3 15 parts
Tetrazine 15 parts
This one contains Lead Azide, And must be kept from contact with copper or brass. REACTIVITY HAZARD

#3 Mercury fulminate 90#
Potassium chlorate 10#

All of the above are too sensitive for any amateur to attempt self production, And are provided as study materials only.

You can see what you're up against, Alan, I've never even heard of some of the required chemicals, and the actual prouction methods are trade secrets.

Now you can see why anyone with experience reloading ammunition will advise buying all the required items at a gun store.

CrAzEdByTcH
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics