About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-09-27, 15:28
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Rail Guns

anyone got any ideas on who to make one? (its EMP propultion )
 #2 
Old 2000-09-27, 21:33
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

and you realize that a railgun propells projectiles at near light speed? such a velocity would make the round escape the earths gravitational pull. what would you fire it at? the moon?
 #3 
Old 2000-09-27, 21:49
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

The theory of a rail gun anyhow is to basicaly use the magnetic field of a wire coiled made to look like a spring. Current is ran through the coil and a magnetic field is generated using the the left handed coil method: Use your left hand and place your fingers pointing in the direction of the current. The end your thumb points to is the north end of the magnetic field. The field flows from the south end to the north end. So basically your thumb will point in the direction the "gun" will fire. You have to realize there are other factors involved in making such a gun. I would suggest reading up on things like flux density, teslas, and webers, before you go balls out with this.

The book i used to the get information is:
"Electrical Fundamentals for Technicians" by Robert L. Shrader. Most electronics books you can find go into all of the stuff you should need at least in theory to make a rail gun. I think the main problem is you will never be able to generate enough power to fire a projectile at large velocities.

Also if you make any progess fill me in i would be intersted to find out what you have done.
 #4 
Old 2000-09-27, 22:55
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

Yes I know most of the maths (And I am at univesity, so some of the lectures will be interested in helping ) stuff, but it will be more like a railcannon than a gun as the barrel will probably have to be about 1/2 to 2 metre long. though to launch a small rail at least 200 mph I don't think I will have much of a problem. they are may also be using this method to launch payloads into space in the very near future. (the acceleration kills people, so supplys/equipment only)

I will inform people of my findings on my website (when I get it up in a month or so! i will post the URL later) on the railgun as well as the RF weapon I am attempting to build.

 #5 
Old 2000-09-27, 23:45
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

nope I am thinking of something a little different to the rail gun, should work though, heres real rail gun: http://www.isd.net/anowicki/SPBI113.HTM
 #6 
Old 2000-09-28, 00:18
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

We made mini rail guns in school. We shot nails.
 #7 
Old 2000-09-28, 01:04
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

the best one in existence now fires a slug at roughly 6kps no where near the speed of light barroom.
 #8 
Old 2000-09-28, 05:47
soullace soullace is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

Neat thanks for the link. You said EMP so i assumed coil. Oh well.
 #9 
Old 2000-09-28, 19:02
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

Hey Yeh it is coil that what I ment, I got confused at the start, though I have found out that someone did build a very low powered coil gun, so I an building a 10 to 20 stage(electromagnet's) coil rifle that may hopefully send the missile supersonic (maybe?!). its not that hard, all you have to do it make sure the capacitor don't hurt you, and get the timeing of the pulses throught the electromagnets. All I need is someone brave e-nuff at university to help me constuct my 'EM propelled rifle' as it will be about a metre long. (the longer the more accurate and the more powerful )

oh and i need something to use as subsitute for a relay as with the currents I will be using normal relays will prolly arc weld them selfs.

 #10 
Old 2000-09-28, 21:05
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

the origional theory was light speed propulsion. if it were a "true" railgun, it would be able to fire a slug at the sun and have it reach it in 8 minutes (accepting that it would be burnt up way before it even gets to the sun).
 #11 
Old 2000-10-01, 20:10
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

yeh the original one was light speed propultion, the military have build railguns but they are not really that good, now gauss guns (the coil gun) are much more promising, I saw one the fire a battery size object at 600mph, though I am aiming to get just over 400mph now, as I am using optical sensors to time the pulse to the electromagnets. should be dead easy. (maybe)
 #12 
Old 2000-10-05, 12:30
DeAtH_ChILd DeAtH_ChILd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

you ppl know too much about these things for you own good Still would be cool tho.
 #13 
Old 2000-10-05, 14:09
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

No, you can never know to much. What if nobody knew about rail guns, what if the government kept them a secret, what if! I hate it when people are proud of their ignorance.
 #14 
Old 2000-10-05, 18:21
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

If anybody checks the old topics we had one about home made rail guns that SnakeEye had posted some cool stuff about. Anyone know what ever happened to him?
 #15 
Old 2000-10-05, 22:43
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

ignorance is bliss only to the ignorant.

~me
 #16 
Old 2000-10-06, 11:37
DeAtH_ChILd DeAtH_ChILd is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

I feel all sad. I'm not ignorant, just kinda freaked at what these things can do. I'm going to hide in my hole
 #17 
Old 2000-10-08, 02:42
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

Speed of light? On paper one can say it, but the theory wouldn't even be founded.

Since an object near the speed of light has an infinite mass, it would take an infinite amout of energy to move it. According to Einstein. This is why most particle equations deal only with 2 dimensional particles, they don't have mass.

I saw somewhere on the net plans for a rail gun that fired a washer looking projectile. I can't remember quite how I found it, but I was running a search on "weird" sciences such as rail guns, tesla, free energy, anti-gravity, and the such. They also sold a completed gun for an outrageous amount of money, the kit, I think, was about $150. Past rail guns that could aquire orbital velocities have been huge, ship mounted type deals that used barn sized power supplies.

I am interested though if anyone could get working at even decent velocities, say 1200fps and used a man portable platform to do so.
 #18 
Old 2000-10-12, 02:16
deevillord deevillord is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

Bongman: Would you please post an explanation of how I could duplicate that?
 #19 
Old 2000-10-12, 02:35
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

I'll see if I can dig up the plans
 #20 
Old 2000-10-17, 17:41
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

the proper 'railgun' uses a massive amount of power to fire as the graduate student (yeh I have been doing some digging with contacts) who orignal developed it had to get a special knife switch made up or something, the most practical place for railguns to be mounted is on battleships, as the kickback is massive. the used to be a picture of a railgun firing on a navy website but it has been taken down, I think they got the speed at about 2km/s plus.
 #21 
Old 2000-10-25, 23:13
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

hey look a home made railgun: http://www.railgun.org cool huh?!
 #22 
Old 2000-10-29, 19:02
joker joker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

bong man how did u make this rail gun what fired nails can u send me the plans and crap
 #23 
Old 2000-10-29, 19:48
slipgut slipgut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

yes, yes, explain yourself
 #24 
Old 2000-10-30, 00:30
Bongman Bongman is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

Oh ya

Well ya take a section of straw that's about 1 1/2 inches long. You start to carefully and neatly wrap thin copper wire around it. You wrap and wrap until it's all nice and stuff. Than you attach one end to a battery. The other end you brush against the other terminal to the batterty. It takes alot of practice to get the nail to fly out of the straw. The farthest I sent it was about 20". Simple?
 #25 
Old 2000-10-31, 12:35
Cube Cube is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Rail Guns

what bongman made is a gauss gun, with more power and extra timed coils you can get a good velocity of one.

hear is a good coil/gauss gun link
http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/home.htm

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics