About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-08-25, 03:35
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Tests

This weekend I'll be running some tests using a mixture of varying smokeless powders with ammonium nitrate, detonated by an approximated #8 cap equivalent. The body will be schedule 40 2"diameter PVC, will use nonelectric and electric caps as well as bigger caps. Plumbing putty will be used as a spark arrestor to be sure that no sparks from the fuse will ignited the powder before the cap detonates it. Anyone have any ideas that could use any of the above that they woud like tested?
 #2 
Old 2000-08-27, 01:12
naplam naplam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tests

Get nitromethane, it makes the AN more powerful and more sensitive. Use 2 parts CH3NO2 and 5 parts NH4NO3, by weight. It should detonate with a #6 blasting cap. Pack the am.nitrate first and then pour the nm so that the mixture is more compact and uniform, and be careful with moisture, it'd spoil the ammonium nitrate. It's supposed to be more powerful than dynamite. I never tried it, though.
 #3 
Old 2000-08-27, 08:49
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Tests

Napalm that does work, I was going to test how well I could get AN to detonate without nitromethane, which is not commonly avaliable and is expensive. However I have used that recipe as read by Ragnar Benson and it does work. Anyways I didn't get a hold of any AN, so the tests were nulled. I actually ended up just whipping up some toys comparing Pyrodex Select and Pyrodex RS regular grade. I could see no difference in their performance, but it was fun anyhow. Next payday I'm going to take a Friday off and spend a day gathering the proper items. I wanted to use AN through instant ice packs. Unfortunately and very oddly I could not find any that were single use instant ice packs, which really aggravated me. In a pinch that's what I'd go for, I wanted to see if it would work without drying the AN inside the pack, the AN in the pack does absorb water and is a little wet. So in two weeks I'll redo this. A 3/4" piece of pvc 12" long ~10" filled with pyrodex will splinter a dead tree if tamped inside the tree. Tree diameter about 16", dead for a while, but not rotten, I'd say two more blast would have fell the tree.

Ya know I met the two most intriguing and beatiful women I've ever seen in my life. One was married, the other 17. Always something wrong, guess I'm sol as usual.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics