About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Backyard Ballistics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backyard Ballistics This forum is dedicated to the safe teaching and responsible handling of high and low explosives. You will not find any information on how to make "bombs" or any such device(s) . Backyard ballistics will teach you the science and the art of pyrotechnics and how to manufacture and use explosives/pyrotechnics safely and responsibly. Backyard ballistics is also a haven for rocketry and pneumatic cannons. All information contained within this forum is for educational purposes ONLY. Totse does not accept responsiblity for any incident involving the use of the information contained within this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-01-06, 03:35
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Matches

I've heard that when in a pinch for supplies you can build a pipe bomm out of tightly packed match heads. Has anyone ever tested the effectiveness of this theory?
 #2 
Old 2000-01-06, 04:06
drstrangelove drstrangelove is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

i have never tested it in a pipe bomb
but in high school i used to take two bolts and one nut and filled the the space between the two with match heads and threw them and they do explode. You take one of the bolts and thread it onto the nut. you then fill the nut with match heads and then thread on the other bolt. this caused a small explosion nothing major.
 #3 
Old 2000-01-06, 04:57
Panurgia Panurgia is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

How tightly do you screw down the bolts? And what size bolts are best for this?
 #4 
Old 2000-01-06, 19:58
drstrangelove drstrangelove is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

we used to just take the bolts out of the tables that were in the cafeteria. we used to screw them down relatively tight. the bolts were probably three eighths. it doesn't destroy anything it just makes a boom and not a big one at that.
 #5 
Old 2000-01-07, 05:18
Panurgia Panurgia is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

Thanks, this sounds like something interesting to tell people how to do.

BTW, I wish that there was an explosion or mushroom cloud message icon available on this BBS.
 #6 
Old 2000-01-08, 12:29
wiz wiz is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

I like breaking matches in to a tennis ball (through a small hole) and putting flints inside then throw it at some cunt on the street IT SCARES THE FUCK OUT OF THEM !!!

WIZ
 #7 
Old 2000-01-08, 08:06
jerbee jerbee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

Around age 13, I read the anarchists cookbook on my old computer.. 2.4 modem.. in any case, I ended up making some of the recipes contained therein. I tried the tennis ball full of matchheads, but it didn't work for me. After 2 days, and hundreds of matches. Maybe it was a dud, maybe not. In either case, I didn't think to put flint in with them--they were strike-anywhere, and I assumed that the friction caused by throwing it would cause them to combust.
 #8 
Old 2000-01-11, 11:21
Chrome_Magnon Chrome_Magnon is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

It'd probably be alot better to just use the red stuff scraped off the matches if ya were to make the pipe-bomb coz the wood in the end of the matches would make the whole thing less combustible... but dunno...

Another fun thing is to get a tennis ball... fill it with the stuff from sparklers... have one sparkler stuck into the ball... with about 2 inches of the sparkler sticking out as a wick... light and throw.
 #9 
Old 2000-01-13, 19:17
Jadedfool Jadedfool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

What about those party poppers the sell at the stores, I assume there is a small amount of black powder in those or some other combustible matierel, does anyone have a clue how many it would take to make any kind of significant explosion?
 #10 
Old 2000-01-13, 23:51
drstrangelove drstrangelove is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

jaded are you 18 or have friends who are
you could just go to a sporting goods store and just purchase the black powder in any increment you want it is relatively inexpensive and you can make whatever you want with it you dont need a foid card all you need is your driver license or other id
 #11 
Old 2000-01-16, 23:25
Animus Animus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

For simply the purpose of a loud noise and a small explosion, some of my friends discovered a very good source. (I have yet to witness it)
First you need to buy a pack of Zipper-oos or a similar type of small firework (preferable many for low cost) Wrap it in duct-tape, and then carefully smash up the inside with a hammer. All you need to do then, is light the wick and through.
I imagine that a larger firework would create greater noise and destruction, though
I haven't heard of anybody ever trying one.
 #12 
Old 2000-01-26, 13:32
SnakeEye_HVU SnakeEye_HVU is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

I know a guy who tried the matchead-pipebomb thing, and well... he is minus 3 fingers today. Need i say more?

~Snake
 #13 
Old 2000-01-26, 15:45
Warlock Warlock is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

Hey JadedFool

There is a Very little amount of GunPowder in a Party Popper thats true. I know of a friend who spiked a set of them with black powder and almost scared is friends to death, no streams were shot out the end, just confetti.

And AS to Duct tape around fireworks it does work, take a couple of Banger selotape them together to get a bigger bang. oh and the tubes used to launch Rockets can be uesed to fire bangers as well, light the banger and drop it into the tube lite end down. you get a morter effect

[This message has been edited by Warlock (edited 01-26-2000).]
 #14 
Old 2000-02-03, 06:52
~V ~V is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

Oxygen and Acetylene in a regular sized balloon will rattle windows for a couple of blocks away.

Unless you are trained and experienced in these things my advice is to not even mess with them. You're better off going to school.

v
 #15 
Old 2000-02-03, 12:05
SnakeEye_HVU SnakeEye_HVU is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

~V: Match heads are very friction sensitive, as well as being sensitive to electrostatic charges. The guy I know lost his fingers while he was schrewing on the last endcap of his pipebomb.

~Snake
 #16 
Old 2000-02-03, 20:39
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

That's ok. I have some empty grenade cases and a hook up for the fuses (or so he says) so all I need is black powder (easy) if I want some combat explosives. I just posted because when I came on this was an empty and dead forum. Once I said the word Bomb things got livley in here though!
look at all the topics since!
 #17 
Old 2000-02-04, 23:54
~V ~V is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

YO ELDRITCH!!

Yeah, I've tried a few kinds, one peeled the whole front end and body off of a full sized school bus like a banana peel. Parts were falling a quarter mile away, and the blast lifted the back end of my pickup off of the ground, and I was about 2/10 of a mile away.

Send me your address and I will send you one for your assessment.

 #18 
Old 2000-02-05, 02:42
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

8-)
So let me get this straight, I give you my address and you'll mail me an explosive? Great, it's...
Hey. Wait a minute...

(I assume you mean the fuses. Thanks, but I am a little nervous about keeping explosives around the house, even Black Powder. There is a reason I haven't checked if that friend of mine is full of crap about the fuses. Maybe if I get ALOT of land some day.)

[This message has been edited by Eldritch (edited 02-05-2000).]
 #19 
Old 2000-02-05, 04:04
~V ~V is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

Ooooops,
You mean that isn't your address I sent it too???

Oh well, that wasn't my return address on the label either, so I guess we're safe.

I haven't even looked at the boom files, except for the stink bomb one. You should be able to make a simple detonator with mercury fulminate, and a simple percussion mechanism. I wonder how blasting gel would work in one of those?

I would really like to make a gigantic stink bomb. decades ago I though about Buteric Acid.

What are some really good stink bomb formulas?

I have some for three different kinds of skunk juice. I am going to rig up a windshield washer mechanism in my truck, with the spray nozzles in the rear fender well, and if I get pulled over I can DOWSE THE PIG REALLY GOOD, and then I can say OH HEY, WATCH OUT FOR THAT SKUNK!!!

We need a good design for this one. Maybe with some stinkier chemicals mixed in.

~V
 #20 
Old 2000-02-07, 19:48
Eldritch Eldritch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

Oh, I like this lunatic...
 #21 
Old 2000-02-07, 20:32
Chucky Chucky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Matches

. o O What Loverly mispent youth you all seamed to have had.
Your parents must have loved you dearly?

All we did when I was a kid was;
'Kiss the girls and make them cry'

Hey Ho Happy days

C.

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 02-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 02-08-2000).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics