About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-31, 22:22
smccoskey smccoskey is offline
Regular
 
Default I believe that ALL religions are correct......

Until they start to believe that they are the ONLY correct path to God.

At that point, they are wrong.
 #2 
Old 2003-01-31, 23:33
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

Christianity says it's the "right" religion. So either Christianity is right, or it's wrong. All religions can't be correct.

If it's giving people faith that you're implying, then I suppose all religions give people faith in some form or another.
 #3 
Old 2003-01-31, 23:45
jimmy_1981 jimmy_1981 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

Every day of my life I thank God that we don't live in a theocracy
 #4 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:23
smccoskey smccoskey is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

If Christianity says it is the only right religion.....It is wrong.

Are you aware of the Scientific study that involved taking people from almost every single one of the worlds religions, and wiring them to see what part of their brains were involved when they reached the deepest state of awareness of their "God"?

The results:?

The feeling of "oneness with God" that they all feel is caused by the exact same regions of the brain in all of them.

What does this mean?

Well, obviously it means that we are all wired to have the same capability of getting in touch with whatever "God" we choose.

Is this by design, or is it by chance?

If it is by design, and only one religion is right, then it is also some kind of cruel joke, played by some sort of cruel hoaxster.

Why would a creator allow all of the worlds deeply religious/spiritual people to experience the same exact feelings of peace, tranquility, and oneness with the higher power, if there is supposed to be only one path to it?

Illogical.......

If this is by design, and ALL of the paths available to the higher power are acceptable to that higher power.....It leads to the conclusion that there is no "wrong" path.

All religions start out with the same goal.

It is only when they are diluted with ignorance and hate, and they seek to commit genocide, and justify it with Divine territorial destiny, that they become infected with evil, which as we all can agree, MUST be wrong.

On the other end of the spectrum, if it is by chance that this occurs, then some weight would have to be given to the argument that there is no God as most claim to know it.

 #5 
Old 2003-02-01, 00:55
Regular
 
Mission Viejo CA USA
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

quote:
Originally posted by smccoskey:

At that point, they are wrong.



you hit the nail on the head

SJ
 #6 
Old 2003-02-01, 01:06
Regular
 
somewhere up there
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

The way I see it, religion is just a lucky dip type of thing. If you're raised to be say, buddhist, then you'll probably think it's the right one. By the way, I think the Christian God judges you on what you know, so he will look at your circumstances. I'm curious, do other religions teach that?

EDIT: Stupid Mistake

[This message has been edited by just.landed (edited 02-01-2003).]
 #7 
Old 2003-02-02, 05:40
Moderator
 
Wasilla, Alaska
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

Why, why why do people keep insisting that their gods judge them? It is not my god's business to judge me or anyone else--after all, he created us in the first place, so he would be judging his own work. My god loves, cherishes, nurtures, creates--but most assuredly DOES NOT judge or punish. That is the sort of unevolved shit that Jehovah was supposed to pull, and it doesn't wash anymore. There will be no Book of Job II.
 #8 
Old 2003-02-02, 06:11
Iscariot Iscariot is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

I take the fact that there are so many religions in the world as proof of there being no God.

[This message has been edited by Iscariot (edited 02-02-2003).]
 #9 
Old 2003-02-02, 10:00
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

quote:
Originally posted by smccoskey:

Are you aware of the Scientific study that involved taking people from almost every single one of the worlds religions, and wiring them to see what part of their brains were involved when they reached the deepest state of awareness of their "God"?

The results:?

The feeling of "oneness with God" that they all feel is caused by the exact same regions of the brain in all of them.

What does this mean?

Well, obviously it means that we are all wired to have the same capability of getting in touch with whatever "God" we choose.



It aint whatever God we choose. There is only 1 God, but many religeons don't understand that their God is the same as everyone elses God, it's just that they have interpreted God in a different way to the next religeon.
 #10 
Old 2003-02-02, 17:32
sharpasattack sharpasattack is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

and then they kill each other over it.

religion is more trouble than it's worth.

gotta love the crusades and the religious persecutions throughout history.

let's not forget that righteous jihad for almighty Allah.

isn't it great how religion under the same God brings us together?

there is no God. religion is used as a tool to control human behavior. sometimes it controls people in a good way. sometimes not.
 #11 
Old 2003-02-02, 18:17
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

quote:
Originally posted by smccoskey:
On the other end of the spectrum, if it is by chance that this occurs, then some weight would have to be given to the argument that there is no God as most claim to know it.



Maybe this oneness is the feeling of security, arduous thinking, or just dumb happiness.

The thing is, anyone can claim they feel anything. A trained psychologist can make people feel the pain of getting run over by a train in their minds.

It's irrevelent.

 #12 
Old 2003-02-05, 09:14
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

Atheism is a religion technically so wouldn't that contradict every religion being right?

Atheism says it's the only right religion though so I guess it's disqualified.
 #13 
Old 2003-02-05, 11:22
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy_1981:
Every day of my life I thank God that we don't live in a theocracy


Brampton? BRAMPTON! We don't want no Brampton opinions around here. Back to VR land with your foolishness.
 #14 
Old 2003-02-11, 18:49
Regular
 
mo, usa
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

quote:
Originally posted by smccoskey:
Until they start to believe that they are the ONLY correct path to God.

At that point, they are wrong.



All religions START from the belief that they are the ONLY correct path to God. All man-made religions, that is. So they are all wrong. There is no need to look at them.

The reason it is this way, is because they don't believe everything is true, (which is the same thing as saying that nothing is true). In other words, nothing is absolutely true or false, with one exception.

The only thing that is absolutely true is the idea that nothing else is absolutely true. This idea is the true "religion" and it is not a religion in the way that we think of religions. There is only room for one entirely true statement in the creation and this is it. This is referred to as love/charity/agape in the Bible.

All religions have other statements that they think are entirely true other than this basic truth. They call these morals sometimes. They are not necessary. The correct belief will produce "good" morals without having to codify them. Any moral is a rejection of God.

This truth reflects God, or maybe is God, or a distinction cannot be made. It is hard to say, and maybe unimmportant at this time.

The world is in a desperate fight against this idea.
 #15 
Old 2003-02-11, 21:02
Regular
 
overlooking the lunatic fringe
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

Read 'Stranger in a Strange Land' by Robert Heinlein, it covers the topic in a twisted sort of way.
 #16 
Old 2003-02-12, 05:22
Regular
 
Mission Viejo CA USA
Default Re: I believe that ALL religions are correct......

quote:
Originally posted by Haddock:
Atheism is a religion technically so wouldn't that contradict every religion being right?

Atheism says it's the only right religion though so I guess it's disqualified.



no it isnt, no it doesnt. no religion should say they are the only correct way. and no religion is the correct way. as the topic says, they're all correct.

SJ
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics