About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-31, 04:06
coldblueice47 coldblueice47 is offline
Regular
 
Default im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

hi i used to go to church and then i quit because i didnt believe. i want to belong to something but it just seems impossible to believe in alot of the religions out there. im facinated by them though. so why dosent someone tell me about religions and why we need them at all.
 #2 
Old 2002-10-31, 04:35
TOWCHBob TOWCHBob is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Most people don't "need" it. The ones that do, have something missing from their lives. Some are just chicken shit's that are afraid of dying.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-31, 16:20
BuD02 BuD02 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Nietzsche once wrote that "religion is a will to power of the weak rather than the strong" which basiclly means that religion is for the people that don't want to think for themselves and make their own decesions. It is my personal belief that organized religion is one of the biggest scams in the world today.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-01, 02:34
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

..well because mankind needs a scapegoat to look up too so they feel some light of hope in an otherwise cruel world. i dont see why anyone who supposidly has ultimant power would let the world be this way, but i suppose its our fault for making this world the way it is. the only way its going to change is if we do and that will never happen..because everyones different and believes are different and hardly anyone wants to change anyway. they're even wars where people kill in the name of the lord ....what a crock
 #5 
Old 2002-11-01, 03:02
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

ya know, I think the purpose of a religion should be obvious... Comfort for Death and lonliness. Oh what I wouldn't give to have an answer to one of those. My Death, or a Girl. A girl Who truly loves me, who I can care about. Sorry about that last part, just being the deppressed, lonly person I am :'-(
 #6 
Old 2002-11-01, 04:30
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by SpaceFalcon2001:
ya know, I think the purpose of a religion should be obvious... Comfort for Death and lonliness. Oh what I wouldn't give to have an answer to one of those. My Death, or a Girl. A girl Who truly loves me, who I can care about. Sorry about that last part, just being the deppressed, lonly person I am :'-(


shit dude you live in arlington? no wonder you dont have a chick, go up to cleveland and akron thats where its at.

 #7 
Old 2002-11-01, 11:49
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

The whole, "being afraid of death" thing is sucha bullshit argument. Does anyone know people under the age of 65 who worries about their death? I dont. You could argue that people who make religious turnarounds when they are old do so out of fear of death, but no one else does.
 #8 
Old 2002-11-01, 17:43
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

I know plenty of old people who wish they were dead.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-01, 19:27
0 0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey Man
I know plenty of old people who wish they were dead.

-----------------------------------------
HAHA cOOl
 #10 
Old 2002-11-01, 19:47
nz man nz man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Sometimes people do need God but that the only time they accept them. The real question is 'Do you WANT God'. Hence why we have free will in deciding to accept God or not. And yes some people accept God on their deathbeds but don't you think God would know that they are tring to cheat real death. Very selfish!
 #11 
Old 2002-11-01, 20:14
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

I wish the word 'God' hadn't been used. That word has plenty of negative connotations. However, as I have said countless times, man needs a higher order being to believe in. I personally do not believe that all I see "just happened". I believe there is a cosmic order. Don't, know why or how...yet. But there is 'that which is greater than man'.

Nox
 #12 
Old 2002-11-01, 23:35
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by Bogey Man:
I know plenty of old people who wish they were dead.


its cus they're old, old people 0ver 65 always go suicidal.. its a well known fact. the less old people the better then i wont get stuck behind some old fuck going 20 on the highway talking on his cell to grandma about how their little grandson timmy's been and how hes an impotent fruit and needs more viagra. less old people?..the more the better. they all suck..what a waste of good air.....
 #13 
Old 2002-11-02, 08:42
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by enigmaXesp:
its cus they're old, old people 0ver 65 always go suicidal.. its a well known fact. the less old people the better then i wont get stuck behind some old fuck going 20 on the highway talking on his cell to grandma about how their little grandson timmy's been and how hes an impotent fruit and needs more viagra. less old people?..the more the better. they all suck..what a waste of good air.....


How about we just kill you now and save even more good air?
 #14 
Old 2002-11-02, 11:12
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Surely the "do we need a god?" argument is completely redundant. Either there is a god or there isn't.
 #15 
Old 2002-11-02, 14:39
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

I would want to die if I grew very old.
 #16 
Old 2002-11-03, 02:08
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Physically or Chronologically?
 #17 
Old 2002-11-03, 13:30
Moderator
 
Deep South
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Consider the possibility that the myths, art and social organizations from times long past is really the only basis we have for deciding for ourselves what constitutes the true ancient religions.

We have to rely on text that is thousands of years old, translated by people of the present day inserting their own ideals and beliefs into it. Many of their translations obviously center around what is most convenient to their people, their culture and their consciousness.

I think we put far too much stock in the capacity of all these ancient peoples to retain memories of civilization's beginnings. Even our own present day history that "has been written" has been changed umpteen times over the century to accommodate one culture's soft spot or another.

I personally would like to believe that if there were indeed a "messenger of god" back then, he was nothing more than a prehistoric cosmic astronaut.

I bet I take a good reaming on here for that last paragraph.
 #18 
Old 2002-11-03, 13:32
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by AngryFemme:
I bet I take a good reaming on here for that last paragraph.


Not from me. I happen to agree.

Nox
 #19 
Old 2002-11-05, 23:20
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by TigerJK:
How about we just kill you now and save even more good air?


how bout you go beat off you and leave me alone you little pup?
 #20 
Old 2002-11-05, 23:23
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

or no wait maybe your mad bcus your an old fuck 2? thats to0 bad ther gramps;id rather die than live after the age of 60..old people are the worst
 #21 
Old 2002-11-08, 01:22
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by enigmaXesp:
or no wait maybe your mad bcus your an old fuck 2? thats to0 bad ther gramps;id rather die than live after the age of 60..old people are the worst


Too right,
I'm an 85-year-old arthritic war veteran who can still kick your arse at coherent thought.

Then again, if you've been raped by somebody's grandmother, you're entitled to express your feelings.
 #22 
Old 2002-11-08, 03:07
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by Spirit of '22:
The whole, "being afraid of death" thing is sucha bullshit argument. Does anyone know people under the age of 65 who worries about their death?


So true. i thought I was immortal at your age.
___

quote:
Originally posted by AngryFemme:
I bet I take a good reaming on here for that last paragraph.


Not necessarily... We can be cordially civil when discussing ancient astronauts...

quote:
Did a vehicle
Come from somewhere out there
Just to land in the Andes?
Was it round
And did it have
A motor
Or was it
Something
Different
- FZ


...but if it's a "good reaming" you want anyway, then I'm sure something could be arranged.
___

Did anyone see the National Geographic documentary about the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone?

I did, and I've got to say that it changed my perception of the survival instinct.
___

quote:
Originally posted by enigmaXesp:
[some real sorry shit]

___

quote:
Did a vehicle
Did a vehicle
Did a vehicle
Fly along the mountains
And find a place to park itself
Park it
Se-e-e-elf
PARK IT . . . PARK IT

Or did someone
Build a place
To leave a space
For such a thing to land
- FZ


 #23 
Old 2002-11-10, 09:04
nz man nz man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Do you need or would you really want him. What is the use of having the entire world when you can't even save your own life.
 #24 
Old 2002-11-11, 01:51
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by TigerJK:
Too right,
I'm an 85-year-old arthritic war veteran who can still kick your arse at coherent thought.

Then again, if you've been raped by somebody's grandmother, you're entitled to express your feelings.



LMAO settle down ther gramps you might have a heart attack. i knew it i knew it shit your insults are as old as you
 #25 
Old 2002-11-11, 11:50
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

My heart's in better condition than yours'll ever be.

And shut up boy, I learnt my insults in PNG being shot at by Japs, and I'm not about to change them for anybody, least of all you.


Okay, this is getting pointless now.
My apologies to any real elderly war veterans.
 #26 
Old 2002-11-12, 23:29
blacksheep blacksheep is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by enigmaXesp:
..well because mankind needs a scapegoat

Religion is that, but it's also a pathetic human trait to try and gleam help off of anyone and anybody it can. When we fuck up we want help. And when nobody can physicaly do anything, that's when we try the metaphysical. And then people come along and turn the guliable and easily manipulated
into fishfood. And even though there was really no point in me pointing this out, i'm still going to post it.
 #27 
Old 2002-11-13, 03:32
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Why mankind needs a god.

1) Because man is not the sole arbiter of his destiny. There have always been, and always will be, outside and unyielding forces that help make us what we are. Our gods are our interpretations of these forces.

2) Because societies with gods, or pseudo-gods, have more strength, prosperity, and humanity than societies that dont. (Though to be honest, I can think of not a single society that existed without some kind of deity or superior force/being)

3) The weaker among men check their weaker and baser impulses and cravings out of fear or reverence for a god/pseudo-god. These societies work better than other ones, and starve out or conquer other societies, either with their ideas or by martial conquest. In either case, the older, less successful ideas die.

4) We experience things within ourselves that no amount of rationalising and logic can do justice to. Gods are how we interpret these gifts to humanity.

5) Mankind likes a good story, and there is typicaly nothing as entertaining and fascinating than the supernatural.

Thats a good start. Id like to see what you have to say about those.
 #28 
Old 2002-11-13, 05:10
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Spirit of '22 seems to be right on the mark.

God(s) is/are simply the personification of the abovementioned forces, explanations and social foci.
 #29 
Old 2002-11-16, 22:03
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by TigerJK:
My heart's in better condition than yours'll ever be.

And shut up boy, I learnt my insults in PNG being shot at by Japs, and I'm not about to change them for anybody, least of all you.


Okay, this is getting pointless now.
My apologies to any real elderly war veterans.



yea you just know youll get smacked down, its alrite gramps.
 #30 
Old 2002-11-17, 01:26
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

I think some people took what I said the wrong way. What I ment by "Comfort for death" was that is why it was created. Nowadays we can get along fine with out it because we know how the world works (at least partially), and we dont need a god to have created everythin. But then again, some people just need it.
 #31 
Old 2002-11-17, 18:56
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

Death is requisite for life, so don't take it badly.
 #32 
Old 2002-11-18, 02:02
livesincloset livesincloset is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

I don't understand either. I never really went to church. I had to many disorders to go. People accused me of to many things. I don't know if there is or not. If there is...he seems kind of.....well...freakish. In a good way.
 #33 
Old 2002-11-22, 03:24
enigmaXesp enigmaXesp is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by livesincloset:
I don't understand either. I never really went to church. I had to many disorders to go. People accused me of to many things. I don't know if there is or not. If there is...he seems kind of.....well...freakish. In a good way.


i dont think the church would mind your problems. the church doesnt discrimanate against people as far as i know
 #34 
Old 2002-11-22, 05:11
Regular
 
Melbourne
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by enigmaXesp:
i dont think the church would mind your problems. the church doesnt discrimanate against people as far as i know


You'd be surprised. Some church communities are still aggressively conservative, right-wing and intolerant.
 #35 
Old 2002-11-22, 23:45
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

God gives you presents on Christmas.
 #36 
Old 2002-11-23, 00:20
margeri26 margeri26 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

I was thinking, perhaps the question should have been whether or not God exists instead of why do we need a God....So how many of you guys out there believe in God (or not)?
 #37 
Old 2002-11-23, 01:52
ytrewq ytrewq is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by coldblueice47:
so why dosent someone tell me about religions and why we need them at all.


Religions were created to fill a strong need humans have. Our very biology instills a desperate need to live and survive. Dying or ceasing to exist makes most of us very uneasy, and goes against all of our instincts. We, unlike the other life on this planet, have the ability to question our existance. I don't believe the other life can even comprehend death and what that means. They don't give it a second thought. We, on the other hand, can and do question death.

Once humans evolved their super brains, they suddenly begin to ponder things that go against their nature and biological desire to survive. In the absense of believable answers that we could accept, we simply created elaborate fictions and trained ourselves not to question them (faith). We humans created an acceptable solution to fill our biological need to survive. It's not important whether or not the solution is true or not. What's important is that it fills that inherent need.

Now, you can begin questioning things again. However, we are no better equipped to answer these death/existance questions than our caveman ancestors were. All you will achieve by questioning your religion is removing that convenient solution to your need to survive.

Someday I believe we will either be able to answer these questions or discover a way to live forever. When that day comes, then we can finally get rid of the whole religion thing. Until then, I'm afraid we're stuck with them.

Of course this is all my personal opinion. Good luck, and let me know when you figure it all out. I'll buy two.
 #38 
Old 2002-11-23, 02:10
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

You can't believe in a god or disbelieve in it until you see proof of the existance or otherwise.

So again, Wisdom is my god. The "creator" is unkown to me.
 #39 
Old 2002-12-03, 20:21
Regular
 
mo, usa
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by coldblueice47:
hi i used to go to church and then i quit because i didnt believe. i want to belong to something but it just seems impossible to believe in alot of the religions out there. im facinated by them though. so why dosent someone tell me about religions and why we need them at all.


It's not that you need a religion, but that everyone has a religion based on what they believe. If you think everything happens by chance, then your god is the God of Luck. If you say you don't believe in anything, then that is your religion, but it may be hard to adhere to when your leg is being cut off or something. My belief is that all questions have more than one correct answer except questions about this belief. So far this seems to explain everything, which is nice.
 #40 
Old 2002-12-03, 20:46
Regular
 
mo, usa
Default Re: im lost... will someone explain why we need a god at all

quote:
Originally posted by Z3m:
So again, Wisdom is my god. The "creator" is unkown to me.[/B]


So now you have to define wisdom. And if you don't do it very succinctly, you will get a lot of debate
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics