About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-15, 21:11
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Athiesm vs Religion

I believe in a higher power, but not in a traditional - man in the sky "God" - sense. I have my own scientific theories on why I believe God exists. But, there is no solid evidence one way or another. Hence, we call it a belief and not a knoweledge.

I think the human race is plagued with this sense of "If it's beyond my comprehension, it must not be real." It's sort of an egotistical thing, if you think about it.

But, what I'm saying it that, though I believe in God, I have no solid evidence and I would never say to someone who doesn't believe that they were wrong in what they believe. What you believe is simply that: what you believe.

I go over in my head very often arguments for both sides. I understand the concept of religion and I don't despise it or anything, but I find that religion is the politics of spirituality and once politics gets involved in spirituality it loses it's meaning. However, some people find religion to be helpfull to them and it helps give them a sense of meaning and hope in the world.

So, even if it is bullshit, it makes them feel better about being here, so what's wrong with that? Isn't that the point of it all? To make our lives better?

There is a way to argue each side. Why God exists and why he doesn't. There's also middle ground. But, I think what's more important than figuring out which side is "right" and which side is "wrong" is figuring out a way to understand that niether side is "right" or "wrong". We're all, only believing in what we believe in and there's no way to convince anyone one way or the other.

Cheers,
Lost


 #2 
Old 2002-10-15, 21:26
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Athiesm vs Religion

At the same time, people who use "It's beyond comprehension" as their evidence seem to be sacrificing their minds.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics