About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
This particular thread is a partial recovery - page 1 of its original capture was never archived, so some posts from that page are missing below.
 #1 
Old 2002-10-23, 03:59
abstractAffect abstractAffect is offline
Regular
 
Default Pride and Worship

Pride is a result of condition. Your pride can be perceived by others as many diff. things.
It is absolutely and emotion engraved that deep to be instinct. A process through which and intelligent mind displays only for validation. Look at animals with less intellect there is no such thing as pride.
Just a human process of the mind. Same as honor.

[This message has been edited by abstractAffect (edited 10-23-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-10-23, 14:17
Regular
 
NJ
Default Re: Pride and Worship

I really dont think pride is learned. Maybe you are taught to take pride in some more complicated things, but pride itself is instinctual. It is necessary for one's defense. Pride is what makes us confront the guy staring us down. if we didnt, the guy staring us down will make us look weak, support for us would die down, and he would kill you.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-23, 21:57
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: Pride and Worship

Some people are naturally dishonorable, though.

And being an instinct means it just comes naturally and from within. Instincts can be suppressed through media and such.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-23, 23:40
abstractAffect abstractAffect is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pride and Worship

You have to first ask were instinct comes from.
It's a result of conditional factors that become apart of our psyche. The example of it being the force that makes us stand up to an opposing guy staring us down is weak b/c there are many examples of people/culutres/animals that don't display any of this.

If you were to raise a child from a clean genetic makeup and brought up without the need or desire to prove itself to anyone it would avoid or even not give a shit about another male staring them down.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-24, 00:24
Regular
 
Default Re: Pride and Worship

quote:
Originally posted by abstractAffect:
Look at animals with less intellect there is no such thing as pride.


I'm not so sure about that. Who's to say that a predator doesn't feel pride, when it provides food for it's charges.

quote:
[Instinct is] a result of conditional factors


No, it's hereditary. Instinct is embedded in our DNA. I'm not sure what a "clean genetic makeup" is, but if it's a human that's been stripped of his instinct, then it might as well just be a plant.
___

quote:
Originally posted by VeneFrigus:
Some people are naturally dishonorable, though.


I disagree, isn't dishonor learned in an environment of dishonor? A child that is raised in an honorable home; seldom dishonors his parents. Likewise, a child raised in an environment of dishonor (or one lacking any honor), is seldom honorable.

I agree with the second part though. Sometimes instinct needs to be rediscovered in humans, because it lays dormant from lack of use.
___

quote:
Originally posted by Spirit of '22:
[Pride] is necessary for one's defense. Pride is what makes us confront the guy staring us down. if we didnt, the guy staring us down will make us look weak, support for us would die down, and he would kill you.


That's just basic survival instinct between two predators with binocular vision. "Staring down" suggests an offensive action (depth of field). Imagine a prey animal in the same situation - looking at you with one eye, while looking for additional threats with the other. You said as much yourself in your post. And being perceived as "weak" isn't avoiding shame?

I'm not positive about my stance on the emotion/instinct thing. I will say that they're definitely intertwined to the point were it's difficult to separate them. The same goes for "love". It transcends the procreation instinct, but is borne out of the instinct just the same. (heh, damn fine pun.)
 #6 
Old 2002-10-25, 02:14
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: Pride and Worship

In some people there just is no instinct of honor. Whether from bad blood or genetic mutation, it simply isn't present.

Of course I could be wrong. I'm not at all sure.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-08, 04:40
Regular
 
Default Re: Pride and Worship

I disagree. Honor is definitely learned. Honor is what men use; to satisfy some of their instinctual needs, but it's something we create after the womb. It's religious in nature. It makes us feel good; helps us find our place in the world; it embraces both good and evil; it can be bought and sold. Religion defines men's honor.
 #8 
Old 2002-11-08, 21:11
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: Pride and Worship

The content of honor is certainly learned.

The concept I'm not sure about.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-09, 05:24
govinda govinda is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pride and Worship

I disagree unless self worship is considered religious. I think honor (as you kinda said user x) is used to name a whole group of our instinctual needs - maybe the need to prove our honor for other people is more learned but personal honor is related to confidence, self-worth, and more base survival.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-09, 18:53
Regular
 
VA
Default Re: Pride and Worship

Bah. I wrote it backwards.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-10, 08:45
nz man nz man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Pride and Worship

Sometimes cause my selfish self wants to worship itself. Not God cause it means I give up myself for him. I still do worship God cause I know without him I am nothing.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics