|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-08-28, 14:46
|
|
|
I hate Judaism
Why do people count Judaism as one of the world's "Big Three" religions? (Thats rhetorical, I know its because they are raised with their heads up Jewish ass)
What tiny minority of the Earth is Jewish? They are probably outnumbered by Jehova's Witnesses, and yet its one of the earth's "main religions". I hate when people refer to it like that.
|
|
#2
 2002-08-28, 16:49
|
TheMouse 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Major Religions of the World Ranked by Number of Adherents
Last modified 23 July 2002.
(Sizes shown are approximate estimates, and are here mainly for the purpose of ordering the groups, not providing a definitive number. This list is sociological/statistical in perspective.) Christianity: 2 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 850 million
Buddhism: 360 million
Chinese traditional religion: 225 million
primal-indigenous: 150 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 95 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 14 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 6 million
Jainism: 4 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 3 million
Tenrikyo: 2.4 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 700 thousand
Scientology: 600 thousand
Zoroastrianism: 150 thousand
---------------------------------------------
The only way Judaism could rank as the "top three" is if you ONLY count monotheism.
|
|
#3
 2002-08-28, 17:25
|
syndicalist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
The reason why Judaism is considered one of the top three is because christianity is the top religion. This has two effects: one, being that it is monotheistic, any monotheistic religion will be considered "right". Another part is that christianity is more jewish than not. The entire old testament is jewish. Jesus, if he ever existed, (I have my doubts), was a Jew.
The best thing about this post so far is seeing that almost a billion people in this world do not have their heads up their asses. What I mean is that 850 million people are nonreligious. I guess there is hope.
|
|
#4
 2002-08-29, 07:32
|
Gnool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by syndicalist: The best thing about this post so far is seeing that almost a billion people in this world do not have their heads up their asses. What I mean is that 850 million people are nonreligious. I guess there is hope.
This kind of ranting is what pisses me off about militant atheists, you're so overbearingly close-minded. You're not religious therefore nobody else should be allowed to be religious. Why can't you just accept that some people have beliefs and move on? It's not like every religious person in the world is trying to convert you. If you don't like someone's beliefs, that's fine, but there's no need to spout forth your immature intolerant rhetoric. I'm not opposed to atheism, and I'm not opposed to theism. I am opposed to either group trying to impose their will upon others. [This message has been edited by Gnool (edited 08-29-2002).]
|
|
#5
 2002-08-29, 08:13
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
What do you mean? Atheists are the only people on that list without their heads up their asses! LoL 
|
|
#6
 2002-08-29, 19:39
|
Bogey Man 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Someone once told me they were going to put me on their hit list for being atheist... They said they were going to hit me with "god."
Spirit, I'm waiting for you to say something about "overbearingly close-minded" atheists...
|
|
#7
 2002-08-29, 20:36
|
|
Regular
|
|
Basking under my light bulb
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
I smell a Bogey
|
|
#8
 2002-08-29, 20:55
|
syndicalist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Gnool, I guess the reason why I contest religious belief is based on a quote I once read. "Men never do evil so completely, and so cheerfully, as when they do it from religious conviction".(Pascal)
I do not mind people believing that the sky is green or grass is blue. These are beliefs that aren't torturing or killing innocent women and children.
Religion has been the tidal force that has kept us primates from throwing off the superstitions and myths that shackle us worse than any concrete and metal prison could ever hope to.
"No kingdom on Earth has caused more bloodshed than that of the kingdom of Christ."
|
|
#9
 2002-08-29, 20:58
|
|
Regular
|
|
nowhere in particular
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
syndalicist the question is not whether jesus existed or not.
the evidence for the existance of a man like jesus is overwhelming.
even in roman records.
the question is whether or not he was the son of god.
a claim jesus himself never made.
|
|
#10
 2002-08-29, 22:55
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by Bogey Man: Someone once told me they were going to put me on their hit list for being atheist... They said they were going to hit me with "god."
By "God", they meant a Desert Eagle .50, Loki style.
|
|
#11
 2002-08-30, 05:28
|
Gnool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by syndicalist: Gnool, I guess the reason why I contest religious belief is based on a quote I once read. "Men never do evil so completely, and so cheerfully, as when they do it from religious conviction".(Pascal)
I do not mind people believing that the sky is green or grass is blue. These are beliefs that aren't torturing or killing innocent women and children.
Religion has been the tidal force that has kept us primates from throwing off the superstitions and myths that shackle us worse than any concrete and metal prison could ever hope to.
"No kingdom on Earth has caused more bloodshed than that of the kingdom of Christ."
Ok, thanks for the explanation, I can see where you're coming from now. I got a bit annoyed reading your first post because it seemed like you were militantly anti-religious for no reason other than being trendy or something.
|
|
#12
 2002-08-30, 19:23
|
syndicalist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Izzy, you are probably right that a man similar to Jesus existed. There is no conclusive proof, but their is a lot of corroborating (sp?) evidence that he lived.
If he is the son of god, then there are a number of questions that come up. The way most christians look at Jesus is that he is god. Either way, if god decided to interfere in the lives of us mere mortals, then we do not have free will. And, we most assuredly do have free will. If god were to interfere with earth enough to give his only son, then why not just erase the problems, being that god is omnipotent?
Gnool, I did sound like a dense ass in my first post, so I understand where you were coming from.
Spirit, the reason why Judaism is considered one of the top three is because the amount of power they have accumulated, especially in the oil-rich Middle East. Look at it this way, Bill Gates is probably worth more than a number of third world countries. What makes him more important? There are millions of people in those countries and he is only one man.
To continue along the same lines of reasoning, America has about six percent of the world's population, yet we use forty percent of the world's resources. Why is this right?
|
|
#13
 2002-08-30, 19:40
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by syndicalist: Jesus, if he ever existed, (I have my doubts), was a Jew.
The human being named Jesus Christ existed. This fact is confirmed by the Roman historian Josephus (who happened to be a Jew). Nox
|
|
#14
 2002-08-30, 20:32
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
>>>>To continue along the same lines of reasoning, America has about six percent of the world's population, yet we use forty percent of the world's resources. Why is this right?<<<<
Why isnt it? Where is it written that man is supposed to be a dismal sub-par cooperative and universalist species that divides everything it can produce into equally distributed portions? Why would anyone bother being alive if that were true?
And where the hell did that come from anyway?
|
|
#15
 2002-08-30, 22:06
|
|
Regular
|
|
nowhere in particular
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
thanks for the clarification nox.
syndalicist i'm deist.
i don't think god interferes at all with his creation, why should he? it's perfect.
and i'm quite certain jesus was not the son of god, as i stated it's a claim attribute to him but not by him, he actually said we are all children of god when asked.
|
|
#16
 2002-08-30, 23:04
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by IzzyReele: i don't think god interferes at all with his creation, why should he? it's perfect.
It would not be less beautiful; if it were godless and random.
|
|
#17
 2002-08-31, 00:37
|
syndicalist 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Nox, I am sorry, but telling me that a Roman historian confirmed Jesus' existence is a little flimsy. Give me some evidence, or a site that has evidence. You certainly have not convinced me with your statement.
Spirit, I was using that example to prove a point, which I did very well. Judaism, while only have a small percentage of adherents, is one of the most well known religions, and considered a top three faith. This is exactly like the US having a small percentage of the world's population, yet using most of the resources. When I talk about America, you immediately jump to the defence. When Judaism is mentioned you immediately attack.
Izz, I did not know you were a deist, that position certainly is the most easily defensible religious position. It allows for a creator, without one necessarily still being here. It solves most atheist's concern with monotheism. Actually if you could explain some of the nuances of deism, I would be much obliged.
Some questions: Is your god omnipresent, potent, scient, etc...? And why do you use him and he when referring to the deity?
|
|
#18
 2002-08-31, 01:31
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by syndicalist: Nox, I am sorry, but telling me that a Roman historian confirmed Jesus' existence is a little flimsy. Give me some evidence, or a site that has evidence. You certainly have not convinced me with your statement.
The best I can do for you is have you go to google and look up Flavius Josephus. Flimsy for you, not for me...but that's what opinions are all about. Nox
|
|
#19
 2002-08-31, 01:39
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by syndicalist: Nox, I am sorry, but telling me that a Roman historian confirmed Jesus' existence is a little flimsy. Give me some evidence, or a site that has evidence.
http://wesley.nnu.edu/josephus/index.htm http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/josephus.html [This message has been edited by redzed (edited 08-31-2002).]
|
|
#20
 2002-08-31, 17:13
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Jewish history reminds me of Children of the Corn. I don't know..
|
|
#21
 2002-08-31, 21:50
|
|
Regular
|
|
Brussels, Belgium
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Jesus probably existed as a figure in Judaic society but it is irrational to assume he was anything but a radical and revolutionary carpenter.
[This message has been edited by MesserschmidtBf109 (edited 08-31-2002).]
|
|
#22
 2002-08-31, 22:38
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
No, it's quite rational to assume he was a convict.
|
|
#23
 2002-08-31, 22:41
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
And in response to the first post, probably because it spawned the top two religions. Also because it's abrahamic, which causes it to be one of the three religions neither secular nor heathen.
|
|
#24
 2002-08-31, 22:41
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by VeneFrigus
And in response to the first post, probably because it spawned the top two religions. Also because it's abrahamic, which causes it to be one of the three religions neither secular nor heathen.
|
|
|
#25
 2002-09-02, 18:24
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
what about christianisme u didn't add it to ur Relligion ranking list i think Catholics are about 1.1 billion not to mention Protestans,methodists,orthodox cristians
|
|
#26
 2002-09-02, 18:48
|
j0662 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Judaism in one of the worlds major religions because most of the worlds major players (in politics, finance, etc.) are Jewish.
|
|
#27
 2002-09-04, 08:29
|
SKD 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by Spirit of '22: Why do people count Judaism as one of the world's "Big Three" religions? (Thats rhetorical, I know its because they are raised with their heads up Jewish ass)
What tiny minority of the Earth is Jewish? They are probably outnumbered by Jehova's Witnesses, and yet its one of the earth's "main religions". I hate when people refer to it like that.
so, because people might mistakenly think judais,, you hate it ? does that even make sense ?
|
|
#28
 2002-09-11, 21:15
|
Frank Castle 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Although this is interesting let me ask a related question. If jews are a religion instead of a race then why is it even though 40%+ of jews are not religious, they do not go to a synagoge and yet they are still jews?
|
|
#29
 2002-09-11, 21:34
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
>>>>so, because people might mistakenly think judais,, you hate it ? does that even make sense ?<<<<
I actually just picked that title because I figured more people would click it. I do, however, hate Judaism, obviously not because of the fact that its called a major religion. Still, the reason its called major is one of the reasons I hate Jews, if that makes you feel better.
|
|
#30
 2002-09-12, 02:29
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
quote: Originally posted by Frank Castle: Although this is interesting let me ask a related question. If jews are a religion instead of a race then why is it even though 40%+ of jews are not religious, they do not go to a synagoge and yet they are still jews?
It's a culture based upon ethnicity. Jews have done a damn good job of preserving and adapting their culture compared to most groups.
|
|
#31
 2002-09-16, 04:22
|
UnclNastyFingerz 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
Roman Historians ahve gathered near contemporary evidence of the existence of a man known as "Jesus of Nazarath." There is some question that his name was either Jason or Jacob. The surname "Christ" in only mentioned in the Bible, and odds are it's fictional.
Izzy's right, Jesus never claimed to be the son of God. The Bible made subtle referances to this, but no direct quotes. He was crusified for refusing to declare publicly that God has yet to send a profit.
As for Judaism being a main religion, I guess it's because it's the root of all monotheism, so it gets more credit then it deserves. It might also be because a bunch of dumb rich Zionists with self esteem issues like pretending they matter, and have enough money to do it publicly.
|
|
#32
 2002-09-16, 21:11
|
|
Regular
|
|
Behind the boat house
|
|
Re: I hate Judaism
The reason Judaism is considered one of the top three is because it was the first monothietic religion (not count Ahknatun - and yes I realize my spelling is bad - and his worship of the Sun Disk.
All Christian religions are based on Judaic beliefs with minor tweaks here and there. Over the years it's been twisted and contorted and so you've got a lot of different and very different Christian religions, but they're all rooted in Judaism; and if you really wanted to split hairs you could say Christianity is Judaism.
The only reason it's really not considered a sect of Judaism is because of how much bitterness the Jews habor towards Christians on accounts of they've been persecuted by them for hundreds of years.
I think Messianic Judaism is proof that Christianity and Judaism are one and the same.
Cheers, Lost
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|