|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged. |
 |
|
#1
 2002-08-26, 09:18
|
some_crazy_fool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
jsut a simple post to find out what the bablace of ppl on this board is: could u write if ur atheistic, agnostic or religious (wich faith) underneath plz.
|
|
#2
 2002-08-26, 09:37
|
|
Regular
|
|
Basking under my light bulb
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Hmm could you add another option? Y'see i aint religeous, but i do believe in God and jesus etc I think theist and atheist are the only options you really need. Or maybe theist, religeous and atheist
I personally am a theist
|
|
#3
 2002-08-26, 14:17
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Agnostic.
|
|
#4
 2002-08-26, 15:06
|
Seraphim 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Personally Im Pagan , and semi devout . Its not like I spend my whole life doing religious stuff , but its still a big(ish) part of my life
|
|
#5
 2002-08-26, 22:07
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
psuedo-alternative post-modern neo-athiest.
|
|
#6
 2002-08-26, 22:42
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I'm a mother fucker Yes, a practical neo-freudian
|
|
#7
 2002-08-26, 22:57
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I think Fascist pretty much covers it.
|
|
#8
 2002-08-27, 00:21
|
Bogey Man 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
no wonder.
Objectivist.
[This message has been edited by Bogey Man (edited 08-27-2002).]
|
|
#9
 2002-08-27, 00:46
|
MR.SMITH 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
agnostic
|
|
#10
 2002-08-27, 06:54
|
ScorchedWeasel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
im agnostic as well
|
|
#11
 2002-08-27, 11:22
|
Gnool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I'm not sure what Agnostic means, is this definition right? Someone who keeps an open mind about God (doesn't say that God exists & doesn't say that God doesn't exist).
|
|
#12
 2002-08-27, 11:23
|
Tropsy 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Atheist
|
|
#13
 2002-08-27, 17:30
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I'm agnostic, but actually find the religious people on this board tend to put forward better arguments.
|
|
#14
 2002-08-27, 18:11
|
XeNobiTe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by FuckOffandDie: I'm agnostic, but actually find the religious people on this board tend to put forward better arguments.
Naaaaah they just talk nicer and have this weird evil manipulating power. BEWAER SAY NO TO RELIGION KIDS.
|
|
#15
 2002-08-27, 19:16
|
Bogey Man 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I find that the religious people on this board tend not to have an argument, they get by by picking apart everything everyone else says.
|
|
#16
 2002-08-27, 19:21
|
some_crazy_fool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i 4got to say.. i'm atheist
|
|
#17
 2002-08-27, 19:26
|
insomniazz 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i beleive in God and maintaining that relationship with him through individual spirituality, not religion. some of you seem to have issues separating those 2.
..find your creator through whatever means nessacery but atheism = ignoring the problem, which never solved anything. atheism is spiritual ignorance.
|
|
#18
 2002-08-27, 19:39
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by some_crazy_fool: jsut a simple post to find out what the bablace of ppl on this board is: could u write if ur atheistic, agnostic or religious (wich faith) underneath plz.
I find it really difficult to answer this, for a start there is the tendency for people to want to label others and put them in a box, then disregard their views because of a stereotype. Plus once i identify as one thing or other it seems 'case closed' - 'mind closed'. Take a position and defend it, and once that happens it becomes more and more difficult to take on new information, and to actually learn and progress spiritually! Depending on your definition i could be all or none of the things you have listed, so, for the time being, i'm going to settle on 'philosopher' - a lover, a seeker, of wisdom.
|
|
#19
 2002-08-27, 22:52
|
Bogey Man 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Insomniazz, I almost feel sorry for you, almost
|
|
#20
 2002-08-28, 00:05
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by insomniazz: ..find your creator through whatever means nessacery.
Where's the truth in that? That's just recreational religion, a hobby. quote: atheism is spiritual ignorance.
No, it's just the dismissal of popular dogma. There's a whole world of spirits that exist outside of the church's walls.
|
|
#21
 2002-08-28, 00:33
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote:
No, it's just the dismissal of popular dogma. There's a whole world of spirits that exist outside of the church's walls.
Word.
|
|
#22
 2002-08-28, 00:35
|
insomniazz 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
ehh..
sorry.
[This message has been edited by insomniazz (edited 08-28-2002).]
|
|
#23
 2002-08-28, 01:39
|
Bogey Man 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I think the best way I can explain what you sound like is through this example:
A group of people are talking about interracial marriage... A woman says, in a voice that implies that she is trying to sound open minded, "I don't care if black and white people get married...... as long as they don't have children" Is it just me, or does the tone not erase the idea. To me, she is still a bigot.
I'd like to be taken out of the stereotype "atheist prick," because I doubt that you identify with me.
|
|
#24
 2002-08-28, 13:12
|
some_crazy_fool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
this wasnt meant to be a post 4 debate simply a poll.. hey could sum moderator set one of those up? anyway i' gona go get sum pocorn.. hehe by the way if you want to get into specifics of my outlook on life i'm an existencialist
[This message has been edited by some_crazy_fool (edited 08-28-2002).]
|
|
#25
 2002-08-28, 14:45
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
>>>>No, it's just the dismissal of popular dogma. There's a whole world of spirits that exist outside of the church's walls.<<<<
Believing in a world of spirits isnt really atheism though...Thats just a religion that isnt Christian. Those exist.
|
|
#26
 2002-08-28, 16:02
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Answer: Taoist.
|
|
#27
 2002-08-28, 20:09
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Deist.
Nox
|
|
#28
 2002-08-28, 20:31
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by Spirit of '22: ...a world of spirits isnt really atheism though...Thats just a religion that isnt Christian.
It's only a religion when it follows a set of rules, and I'm disinclined to rules.
|
|
#29
 2002-08-28, 22:04
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Atheism is a lack of belief in a God. You can believe in spirits, but you'll still technically be an atheist. Buddhists are technically atheists as per definition.
|
|
#30
 2002-08-28, 23:17
|
KeeperOfFaith 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i myself believe in God and jesus ETC. \ but i go to none of the church factions.
|
|
#31
 2002-08-28, 23:49
|
confuzious 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I believe that there may be something that is worshipped as "god" but that all this worship is mistaken. That if there is such a being, it isn't supernatural, it follows the same natural laws we do. So I call myself an athiest, but some people may disagree with that. I do believe in spirits, but I also believe they are just another form of life, and not supernatural.
|
|
#32
 2002-08-29, 02:21
|
Blaire 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Well I would say that I am somewhat neo-atheist not entirely,but I do not really label my self becuase labels give to great of a limited expression. So I am just going to describe. I study many philosophies from Zen buddhism to taoism, I study strategy ,exp. Sun Tzu, Miyamoto Musashi ect. I am against Catholisism and Christainity(dont know how to label that aspect). Those "religions" have cuased so much suffering and destruction. I believe they should be forcefully taken down. I beleif mostly all humans are ingnorant of life and reality. I am also anti-worship. I do not care if there is or isn't a "God". If there isn't a god than that makes everything that much easier. If there is a god then I could care less, I and the rest of humanity(well some, those who aren't past the point of no return) are better than a god who if all powerful cannot just create a perfect species with all holiness and rightousness in them and that would be that, but then even that wouldn't be perfect ,for humans tend to think that a god would think like a human. I do not beleive in a "devil" or "satan" or any of that crap humans created to blame(for those of you who might think I am a "satan" worshipper, which are people who are as ingnorant and low intelec as christains and chatholics and religous. For those of you who might think "not corectly" who might view this differently, there is a spiritual aspect to "me". I practice martial arts, as well a yogic exercises and meditative regimens(chi kung, tai chi, ect.) And to those of you who did not notice(which might be most if not all) this shows my believe in a soul. I do believe in this energy (better put as Chi). Now if I beleive in a soul and Chi I must believe in something happening with that soul and Chi when one dies, well I believe that when one dies one will know what happens, and that would be the second half. (I wasn't expecting to write so much.)
Incase you are thinking that I am some sort of social reject, well even though I do not agree with today's society I blend right in( I look and procede just like a above normal 16 year old, It would not be strategically advatagous to show to much unconformity.(I think it's unconformity or is it Disconformity.) Another subject, there is no right or wrong no good no evil,just perspectives. Something to make you think: What we see is not really how everything is, our brain chooses what color what will be, we live in our minds, but now think, what does everything really look like, what is reality truely. ---------------------------------------------
Now take all this(which is years of thinking) and tear it all apart and bring it together that is what my "classification" is and alot more which is too much to write on a forum, and the thoughs and ideas do not end it is ever growing and advancing.
[This message has been edited by Blaire (edited 08-29-2002).]
|
|
#33
 2002-08-29, 03:57
|
Nox 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by Blaire: Incase you are thinking that I am some sort of social reject.
After a first post like that, I don't think so. Welcome. I look forward to your other thoughts and observations. Nox
|
|
#34
 2002-08-29, 18:16
|
Thought Intron 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I am a true agnostic, in the way it was originally intended.
|
|
#35
 2002-08-29, 18:20
|
some_crazy_fool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
man, nice post. i agree with a lot of that except the statement: "If there isn't a god than that makes everything that much easier" er... i have to disagree, i started a post about this actually, instead of debating ut hearm could you go and post why you beleive this in that thread plz? i'd like to hear your reasoning.
|
|
#36
 2002-08-29, 20:31
|
|
Regular
|
|
Basking under my light bulb
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
No do it here, do it here!! 'Some_crazy_fool' is so determined for debates not to arise in this post. Debate away people hehe
|
|
#37
 2002-08-29, 21:11
|
|
Regular
|
|
nowhere in particular
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
dark magneto buddhism is not atheistic. http://reluctant-messenger.com/main.htm
buddhists believe WE are the uncreated god.
when you achieve nirvana you re-awaken your godself.
the buddhists believe that become a part of his creation god had to forget he was god, and became life itself with the goal of realizing itself as god.
"Buddha achieved Nirvana as Union with the Absolute Bliss. You can't have bliss without awareness. He achieved bliss through meditation. Buddha saw past all illusion and reemerged with the true onesource. Buddha achieved all viewpoints. Buddha became part of the Uncreated God again. Buddha trancended birth and death by becoming One with that which has never been born nor has ever died!. Buddhist call it Nirvana. Nirvana is the Absolute Bliss of the Uncreated."
|
|
#38
 2002-08-29, 22:53
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by IzzyReele:
buddhists believe WE are the uncreated god.
Ah.
|
|
#39
 2002-08-30, 01:01
|
Blaire 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by IzzyReele: dark magneto buddhism is not atheistic. http://reluctant-messenger.com/main.htm
buddhists believe WE are the uncreated god.
when you achieve nirvana you re-awaken your godself.
the buddhists believe that become a part of his creation god had to forget he was god, and became life itself with the goal of realizing itself as god.
"Buddha achieved Nirvana as Union with the Absolute Bliss. You can't have bliss without awareness. He achieved bliss through meditation. Buddha saw past all illusion and reemerged with the true onesource. Buddha achieved all viewpoints. Buddha became part of the Uncreated God again. Buddha trancended birth and death by becoming One with that which has never been born nor has ever died!. Buddhist call it Nirvana. Nirvana is the Absolute Bliss of the Uncreated."
That is a very great concept, I have not really gone deep into the buddhism you speak of, I have studied some Zen buddhism. Thankyou you have tought me something which I would have wanted to know.Incase your wondering Zen is more like " understanding by not understanding" and " non being, as well as the understanding or "not understanding"(it gets to be confusing if you cannot ahere your mind well)the absense of nothingness.
|
|
#40
 2002-08-30, 01:53
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i'm a theist
more specifically, a christian.
|
|
#41
 2002-08-30, 02:03
|
Blaire 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
some_crazy_fool I will post a short reply as to why as you quoted me " if there isn't a god then that makes everything that much easier", If you want me to post a more indept response on your other forum topic then please say so.
---------------------------------------------
If there isn't a god and some how it is proven(which isn't likely to happen anytime soon), then that would throw the entire religous world into either intense denial, a need to searh for truth and enlightenment and/or psychopathic behavior(for most or some can't really tell. It might even bring another great war. Yet in the end there are two most likely outcomes. One, the religous group wins, and the world is ordered by a psychopathic vatican, and there would be many against them and they will rise to bring down the "psychopathic vatican". Second, the non-religous group wins and the world is a peaceful place were philosophy florishes, yet there will be groups of underground christain cults which will rise to try to take down the philosophical order, by which either the religous win and the cycle continues until the religous are truely destroyed or second the religous are truely destroyed at that "War". (once again, I did not expect to write this much)
Now without the prove of a non-existing god the world would not be thrown into this chaotic change into better becoming.
Now you say what if it is not proven, no god means there cannot be any sort of "devine" intervention. You see there is not such thing a perpetual infinity something has to come from some where and then it can become infinite into the future. That makes a "God" have the need to be created first. What I am saying is that it is not an impossible feat to rid the this world of a "god" who has the need to play with our lifes, to have "fun" with our mortality. What I mean is that as long as it may take ,wether it be hundreds if not thousands of years, humanity can find a way to somehow reach god state, and finally win this world back. NOW THIS COMES INTO PLAY IS IF THERE IS A GOD, which most likely there isn't.(One has to think in all directions) Oh, and the reaching god state would require I guess three to four "gods" to keep the other "gods' in check, so in the end they give back there god state and leave this world to flurish. Another thought that just poped into my head is that maybe there is something greater than "god" like the buddhist post above said that we strife to return to the one Grand Ultimate(I am using I Ching Grand Ultimate). Anyway all this sounds so intense, but its only theory, and only if there is a god. Remember we still have the present world to deal with.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Can one imagine the non-sense of non-being, emptiness, void. Everything is true when it is not.~
|
|
#42
 2002-08-30, 02:16
|
Blaire 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Another thought,
No religous person (specially christains and catholics) can have a correct and factaul discussion about there beleives and/or against what I just posted.
(Buddhists are somewhat not considered religous , to me. They are more philosophical than religous(although mineute religous factors are in it.)Oh, and Taoist is all philosophy not religion.
|
|
#43
 2002-08-30, 02:43
|
Blaire 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
For anyone who is intrested, I just posted a new topic. It has writing of my philosophy and strategies.The topic name is ~Xiao Tain~. It is under "my god could beat the shit out of your god" forum category. I think most would be intrested. Tell me what you think.
[This message has been edited by Blaire (edited 08-30-2002).]
|
|
#44
 2002-08-30, 08:13
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by Blaire:
(Buddhists are somewhat not considered religous , to me. They are more philosophical than religous(although mineute religous factors are in it.)Oh, and Taoist is all philosophy not religion.
Let me first say: "Welcome to TOTSE, Blair", It is always good to see a new face that is backed by a decent intellect and an ability to discuss matters civilly and logically. I am pretty new myself to the board, but I still feel obligated to say welcome. Next: Taoism is indeed a philosophy, but one that precludes the need to put faith in a religion to support it. Technically, Religions are philosopies as well. I stated that I was a Taoist in answer to the question because it sums up in one word many things that in their own way answer the question posed. Honestly, my beliefs are similar enough to Taoism that it is the strongest word I have found in common useage that sums up the basics of my philosophy. The term I typically use is Chaoist. What that means is a hybridization of Chaos theory and Taoism. If you are interested in discussing further and trading ideas and philosophies, feel free to contact me by private email at chaoswyrm@antisocial.com or try to catch me in #totse some time.
|
|
#45
 2002-08-30, 13:10
|
some_crazy_fool 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i agree that from a social perspective, the uncertanty surrounding the exictance of god is a good thing, as it allows a more peacfull equilibrium in this already very unceteld world. but on a more personal level, for many people they simply use god as a crutch to allow them to spend there [philosophcaly] meaningless life in happiness, not having to ask themselves questions about many subjects that are unancerable.. they miss out on thinking for themselves. despite how it may sound, i am not condeming this: althougth i do not beleive in the existance of a god (the reasons for wich i will outline if someone wants me to), that simplistic answer may suit many people amply. therfore the unceratinty around the existance of god is, for our modern global conditions anyway, a good thing. alowing people of different intelects, and of different levels of curiosity to co-exist.
|
|
#46
 2002-08-30, 18:55
|
|
Regular
|
|
nowhere in particular
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
chaoswyrm taoism is a religion.
what is this chaos theory anyways? i'm interested since in all my studies of the universe and those working to understand it simplicity and order is all i find, no chaos at all. http://reluctant-messenger.com/tao.htm
taoism is a lot like buddhism in that we are all a part of god, only that we don't need to achieve nirvana to realize it, we are all connected, everything is god, we just don't see because of our point of view, which is why taoism stresses the two sides of a story so to speak.
god created the universe and everything out of himself, which is why it is referred to as the wisdom of balance, you can't have good without evil, joy without sorrow.
"Every one of the seven religions represented by the seven candles have a special flame that illuminate a mystery. The Wisdom of Balance burns brightly within Taoism. Yin and Yang, the power and beauty of balanced opposites. Tao also teaches that there is Supreme State of Being, a pure perfection from which all beings, including man, are separated from it by a delusion of viewpoint. You will learn that separatness is an illusion. Instead there is only Oneness"
that is the problem i have with eastern religions, they mislead most westerners who have don't want to be christians into thinking we are not a religion, it's just a way of thinking, hinduism is probably the worst with it's mantras that are actually prayers to it's many deities yet western people get wrapped up in it easily as a philosophy and not a religion.
yet hinduism also holds the common thread that bind buddhism and taoism together and make them all one, called the cosmic dance of shiva.
"God and his creation are One. Yet God hides himself from his creation to give himself the joy of discovering God."~the hindu part
"God is both Creator and the Created. This is also known as the Wisdom of Balance."~ the buddhist part
"The Uncreated God and The Created God are One, yet the creation is attached to the grand illusion of separateness."~taoism
"Whenever God's creation discovers God, God discovers himself all over again. God delights in the dance of hiding and discovering his glory. The Cosmic Dance of Shiva."
|
|
#47
 2002-08-31, 07:44
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by IzzyReele: chaoswyrm taoism is a religion.
If it pleases you, call it thus. quote:
what is this chaos theory anyways?
http://www.wfu.edu/%7Epetrejh4/chaosind.htm http://portal.brint.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?PA=chaos+theory http://order.ph.utexas.edu/chaos/ Those should get you started. ((edit: spaced out URL's)) [This message has been edited by ChaosWyrm (edited 08-31-2002).]
|
|
#48
 2002-08-31, 08:11
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by ChaosWyrm: [QUOTE]Originally posted by IzzyReele: [b]chaoswyrm taoism is a religion.
If it pleases you, call it thus. quote:
what is this chaos theory anyways?
[/B][/QUOTE] Ever listened to recordings from space of the sounds of earth? Absolute chaos of sounds; and yet, periodically out of the chaos of sound comes harmony, then it fades, and later another harmony - different pitch, different sound -then return to chaos, and so on.
|
|
#49
 2002-08-31, 14:46
|
phender 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I believe it doesnt matter what the hell you believe in because we all go to the same place when we die anyways...
|
|
#50
 2002-09-02, 19:27
|
dopeman420 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i'm an atheist because i won't believe an explanation (God) just because it "works", i would rather admit that i do not know what's out there. It also seems to me that it would be very easy and appealing for early civilization to invent religion without divine influence, and likewise to propagate it.
|
|
#51
 2002-09-02, 21:20
|
Ulsterman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I believe there are energies out there both negative and positive. Without one there could not be the other . GOD is a state of mind and soul. etc, etc.
|
|
#52
 2002-09-02, 23:07
|
True_Ghetto 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
im atheist
|
|
#53
 2002-09-08, 20:40
|
anhe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
deist
|
|
#54
 2002-09-09, 00:46
|
belarion23 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Gnostic
|
|
#55
 2002-09-09, 05:06
|
Imaginary Heroin 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Well, I am agnostic, sometimes... I do believe in the goddess and the force know as satan (not you're christian version), but I don't really get into it, I just take everything as it comes but I a defintly not a christian... I'm just a seeker of truth and knowledge.... Anyway.... that's just me....
|
|
#56
 2002-09-09, 14:04
|
electric_hed666 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Scientologist
-ZaWmB!e-
|
|
#57
 2002-09-11, 23:39
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by Thought Intron: I am a true agnostic, in the way it was originally intended.
Before I commit and say 'Me too', let me just ask you do elaborate [tell me 'how it was originally intended']. oh. Please 
|
|
#58
 2002-09-11, 23:44
|
|
Super Moderator
|
|
Sebastopol CA
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by belarion23: Gnostic
How do you define/describe Gnostic? Because years ago I read the texts [well, translations there of] of the finds at Nag Hammadi. And told myself that I could almost get into a religion that was based on such. However, a few years later, when I saw that there was a Gnostic church in [I think it was] Santa Cruz I called them and asked if they based their church on the Nag Hammadi gospels. They had never heard of them. Also: a lot of people seem to like to call themselves that [along with Agnostic] without even knowing what to be such meant. Thus my question to you.
|
|
#59
 2002-09-12, 23:18
|
syphon detonator 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
agnostic
|
|
#60
 2002-09-13, 17:40
|
RedBananaMonkey 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Agnostic with philosophical taoist tendencies with a healthy splash of Bushido ideals and a firm belief in the power of reincarnation
sounds like a good time to extoll the virtues of my new religion, 'The Circle of One', coming soon to a world revolution near you!!!
|
|
#61
 2002-12-09, 01:14
|
belarion23 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Meta Sorry to be so late with the answer. I am tempted between Valentius and Simon Magus. However, The nature of my being is to side with Simon. Simply put, Read Hans Jonas' The Gnostic Religion.
|
|
#62
 2002-12-09, 06:50
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i'm atheist, could somebody define deism to me please?
|
|
#63
 2002-12-09, 07:33
|
Hune 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Agnostic.
|
|
#64
 2002-12-09, 08:51
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
quote: Originally posted by Blaire: It would not be strategically advatagous to show to much unconformity.(I think it's unconformity or is it Disconformity.)
I think it's non-conformity. Your views sound pretty similar to mine, except I think that sometimes mine have an edge of arrogance that I'm smarter than the sheep. Also, could anybody tell me what 'bablace' means? Webster's dictionary is useless.
|
|
#65
 2002-12-09, 16:34
|
younggiftedandblackspirit 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i think that all of the religions, plus the athiesm has good ideas about what is what, im agnostic i guess. well i have morals and ethics but i dont agree how the religions go about it, i mean its like a fight for power, and who knows what the truth really is. the bibles of all religions...where did they comne from? did god take a writer and tell him the way of the world so he can write the dogma, or did a bunch of spiritual people try to figure it out and came up with their own version of "the answer". either way they all believe in "something" which is good i guess. i guess what i try to do is take the way i look at the world and see it from my point of view, yet try to learn as much as possible about it all because i think we need to work together in order for anything to get accomplished. i just with the religous people out there could see it like that...instead of trying to win people over. either way this world blows in my personal opinion. whatever the religions say, people really arent listening. not everyone, but the majority. especially the people in power.....im sure though if there was a god, he didnt intend things to end up this way.....IF
|
|
#66
 2002-12-09, 19:17
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Happy Christian.
|
|
#67
 2002-12-09, 23:12
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Better than an unhappy Christian.
|
|
#68
 2002-12-11, 02:25
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
A real jew. Yes as opposed to an artificial one.
|
|
#69
 2002-12-11, 05:04
|
UnforgiVen 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
im with redzed in that im a philosopher (or could it be... philosophist)
|
|
#70
 2002-12-11, 07:28
|
Hypernovean 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
For the record, atheist, though technically catholic, as I was one when I was a little kid. I know better now...
[This message has been edited by Hypernovean (edited 12-11-2002).]
|
|
#71
 2002-12-11, 14:05
|
artzy1989 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
i'm an American, religios, Israeli, Jew. phew.
|
|
#72
 2002-12-11, 23:32
|
blackjack44 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
atheist
|
|
#73
 2002-12-11, 23:41
|
Diseased Camel 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
atheist
|
|
#74
 2002-12-12, 00:02
|
bagman 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
I'm Agnostic
|
|
#75
 2002-12-12, 01:25
|
Nyk 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: who here is atheist, agnostic, religous?
Wow, I never meet any other agnostics. I wonder why there are so many on this forum. Maybe we are more comfortable batting around these kinds of ideas without getting pissed off?
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|