About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-26, 06:32
Gnool Gnool is offline
Regular
 
Default If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

What would it be? Here's a list to give you some ideas:

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Rastafarianism, Zoroastrianism, Hare "Krishna-ism", other faith I've missed, cult etc.

I suppose I can't really make an accurate decision because I don't know enough about all the religions/philosophies I've put here, but my choice would be Buddhism. My reason for choosing this is (these are my real thoughts by the way, I'm not trying to intentionally antagonize or offend anyone) is because Buddhism seems to me to be a more peaceful way of life than the Monotheistic religions* (Judaism, Islam, Christianity), and Hinduism*, and I don't know anything about the other religions/cults/philosophies that I've mentioned before.

*I mention these religions because of the tendency towards extremism in these religions. (Islamic extremists have been in the news a bit lately, and Hindu-related violence has been mentioned as well. While there hasn't been much about Christian extremists lately, our history books are full of Christianity-inspired violence (eg. the Spanish Inquisition). I'd just like to reiterate the fact that I'm simply stating the truth, I'm not going out of my way to insult people.

Edited to fix up some grammatical & typing errors.

[This message has been edited by Gnool (edited 08-27-2002).]
 #2 
Old 2002-08-26, 14:16
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

Buddhism, non Tibetan.
 #3 
Old 2002-08-26, 19:47
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

I don't consider Buddhism or Confucianism to be religions but philosophies. So on that note I nominate Taoism as my "religion" of choice.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-27, 11:09
Gnool Gnool is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Magneto:
Buddhism, non Tibetan.


Why not Tibetan?
 #5 
Old 2002-08-27, 17:07
MaTrIXSpiirit MaTrIXSpiirit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

Religion? I don't believe in religion, it takes away your freedom.

-=MaTrIXSpiirit=-
 #6 
Old 2002-08-27, 23:18
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

quote:
Originally posted by Gnool:
Why not Tibetan?


They think that if you don't believe in Buddha, you go straight to hell.

Go directly to hell.

Do not pass "Go", do not collect 200 dollars.
 #7 
Old 2002-08-27, 23:54
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

quote:
Originally posted by Gnool:
Here's a list to give you some ideas...


This is the same problem with all the religions you listed (most of them anyway, the eastern ones could be adapted to modern day use, but I wouldn't take any of them right out of the box.)

Why not make something up? Include some ritual and tradition; that you find interesting, and just go with it... if you have to "make an accurate decision".

Well, I suppose since you've not decided, you're a de facto atheist (missing from your list of suggested religions).
 #8 
Old 2002-08-28, 06:57
Regular
 
OZ
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

When did "de facto atheist" become the default position? Why is it necessary to have a label?
 #9 
Old 2002-08-28, 12:57
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

It makes people confortable
 #10 
Old 2002-08-28, 13:00
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

or less uncomfortable

Dark it's not Buddha the man it's Buddha the essence, and it's not a burn in hell thing it's seen as a natural progression, if you live this way, and it doesn't even have to be something called Buddha,
 #11 
Old 2002-08-28, 13:04
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

quote:
Originally posted by xenosss:
So on that note I nominate Taoism as my "religion" of choice.


I would agree with you except for one small item. A true Taoist would have a religious leader from every religion he could get his hands on at his funeral to cover all the bases "just in case". This uncertainty is the major weakness (in my opinion) of Taoism.

Nox
 #12 
Old 2002-08-28, 21:23
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

quote:
Originally posted by redzed:
Why is it necessary to have a label?


So I can keep everyone's goofy goddamn perspectives organized in my mind.

Besides, I was out recruiting anyway...

Now I know that you're an anti-labelist.

 #13 
Old 2002-08-29, 05:29
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

<<They think that if you don't believe in Buddha, you go straight to hell.>>

Where on Earth do you get your facts from?
 #14 
Old 2002-08-30, 09:23
Regular
 
Texas USA
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

If I had to choose a "religion" for the whole of humanity to believe...

Choice = The belief that all religions are founded on control and fear, and that true divinity is in the ability to understand that truth, like perfection, is a worthy pursuit yet a never-ending journey. We are but gods lost in the flesh, struggling to regain our memory of who we are. In the end, we are all the same in that we are tiny fractal reflections of the whole of the universe and we are not individual beings alone in a world, but rather we are more like the fragmented personality of a shattered consciousness, seeking to understand itself.

hrm...seems I've rambled a bit. Oh well.

 #15 
Old 2002-08-30, 14:56
Regular
 
Default Re: If you could pick a relgion for the whole world to follow...

Seems you've rambled yourself right into my mind, but were able to construct something useful and coherent of of the jumbled mess,

I do however differ on one thing (at least) Fear of control is still fear, if you directly try to aviod control, you are controled by this, these things are still there, they just move to a different level, I do belive that you would have thought of this already tho, but if so why are you still worried about it
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics