About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Society > My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

My God Can Beat the Shit Out of Your God For discussing any and all religious viewpoints. Intolerance will not be tolerated. Keeping your sense of humor is required. Posting messages about theological paradoxes is encouraged.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
This particular thread is a partial recovery - page 1 of its original capture was never archived, so some posts from that page are missing below.
 #1 
Old 2002-07-27, 13:17
Regular
 
Default Ayn Rand- Atlas Shrugged

It's interesting isn't it, trying to see from other perspectives, I enjoy it anyway,

I'm trying to figure out my beleifs aswell, but the main reason I have them is, as I said, just the things I have seen,
the reason I like yoga is because it doesn't adhere to one belief system, it just says if you do these things, this will be the product, this is why I said it was more like a science than a religion, like somebody has come up with a theory, you can test it to see if it's right, it's based on actual experiences, not faith alone,

To me the mind over matter things are just the tip of the iceberg, it's like a reference piont to show that maybe their not making all of this stuff up, but I'm pretty trusting which could see me in trouble I suppose,

I don't think that religion is supposed to be infaible, in fact quite the opposite, I think that most of the old teachings were needed for the specific times and places they started in, though all of the "founding fathers" of religions had the same experience, Samadhi/Nirvana that sort of thing, but because of the different backgrounds of these people they interperated these things in slightly different manners, and when trying to explain these to their peers had to change them more to sute the minds of their cultures, maybe they were even shown different things that were required for a specific outcome for those people, but to say again I'm realy not sure, these are all just thought on my parts, but that would account for the similar thems that run through the different religions,
Also I think that the things like the bible stories all acctualy hold secret meanings, they use symbolic language, the reason for this is to keep these things from poeple who wont understand them and therefore abuse them, ie/ the Spanish Inquisition and the like, and this has been a common practice since man has started to teach these things, but things seem to becomming more open, but it also sreves another perpose, before they started to be written down they were obviously being memorised, so having the teachings in the forms of stories made them easier to remember, and they would also still be keep safely if people no longer knew the secret meanings, making them able to be decoded and used if later somebody could figure them out, I can't say this for sure about the Bible but I know that it was a common practice in the Middle East/West at that time by Alchemist and other similar groups, and still used today, in the East it was definately used, which is why their creation stories and epics are so extrodinary,

The monks and their towles ins't what I would classify mind over matter, it's simply controling the (already in place) funtions of the body, and taloring them to there needs, how else would you be expected to sit in a cave in the Himalyas for years on end wearing nothing but a cotton robe

Happy to be your case study,
evolove
 #2 
Old 2002-07-27, 13:34
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ayn Rand- Atlas Shrugged

The Bible was suppose to be written through people by God, I'd say a book of that proportion should be infallible.
I do understand that people are convinced by incidents that they have had, but I haven't had any. I have no reason to base my faith off another's experience.
 #3 
Old 2002-07-27, 23:42
Regular
 
Default Re: Ayn Rand- Atlas Shrugged

very true,
 #4 
Old 2002-07-30, 04:46
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: Ayn Rand- Atlas Shrugged

The Bible is a world away from infallable

quote:

...for all I know leprechauns might exist...



The most intellegent thing you can do when people come at you spouting wild, unproveable, unsubstantiated claims is to go ahead and automatically assume they don't exist until proven otherwise.

Like free will. If God is omnicient, then there is no free will cause' we are stuck fulfilling his omnicience.

The very ability to know what humans will do to a 100% accuracy in the future means there are no truly random, unknown factors which could affect the decisions humans make and screw up the prediction. In other words, if anything can know everything there is to know about the universe, it operates completely deterministically. And when everything is determined, free will is a complete illusion.

I am still going to live my life as though free will is not an illusion. You can't just go off what people tell you, proof is needed.

Talk is cheap, let's see some results validating these claims.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics